Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any tried & tested tips ?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Any tried & tested tips ?

I was wondering if anybody had any tips they might share re washing/bathing their dogs …… from start to finish & in terms of making the experience an enjoyable one for their little ones

Also any tips or advise on how to make the most when drying off their wonderful coats would be greatly appreciated

Hope this posting doesnt sound silly

Sometimes the most obvious thing to one person is a welcomed solution to another

Post Thanks / Like

our two are totally different when it comes to baths. Daisy Boo just stands there and waits to be pampered but Twinkle always tried to climb out of the bath. This changed at the weekend though. For a laugh I put on a pair of shorts and climbed into the bath with her to see how she'd react. She was happy as Larry and stood steadily for me the whole time!

We just give the a quick rub of a towel when we're finished and then let them dry off naturally(be prepared for lots of running around and shaking). When they're dry Joanna gives them a good grooming

Post Thanks / Like

OK then this isn't on how to bath a dog but the dogs version of how to bath a cat....

. Thoroughly clean toilet.

2. Lift both lids and add shampoo.

3. Find and soothe cat as you carry him to bathroom.

4. In one swift move, place cat in toilet, close both lids and stand on top, so cat cannot escape.

5. The cat will self agitate and produce ample suds. (Ignore ruckus from inside toilet, cat is enjoying this)

6. Flush toilet 3 or 4 times. This provides power rinse, which is quite effective.

7. Have someone open outside door, stand as far from toilet as possible and quickly lift both lids.

8. Clean cat will rocket out of the toilet and outdoors, where he will air dry.

Sincerely,
    The Dog

Details on how I bathe dogs to follow

Post Thanks / Like

Donna - you bad bad lady!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

I usually run the bath 1/3rd full of warm water and plop dog in Keep talking to the baby nad saying what a good girl/boy he/she is.

Soak dog completely, all the time praising...

Mix shampoo with water and lather all over (keep praising)

Rinse dog with water from bath (still praising)

Let water out and run a few jug fulls of tepid water or use shower to completely rinse.

Lift dog out of bath onto pile of towels and then towel down and let go - make sure all doors are shut first or you'll have a wet bed.

Prepare for lots of excitement and shaking

When dry, groom gently - result one gorgeous clean little dog

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Claire
    Donna - you bad bad lady!!!!!

I couldn't resisit it, Claire

Post Thanks / Like

Sounds just like what I do Donna - the dog wash I mean, not the cat wash
    Imagine my face last Thursday night when I walked into the bathroom to see him indoors sitting in the bath with Twinkle
    I have to say it was very effective though!

Post Thanks / Like

Can I borrow him to bath my two, Joanna?

I know this ounds daft but I actually find my dogs easier to bath than it was to bath my 20 year old son when he was a toddler

I remember one of the neighbours at the back of me knocking on my next door neighbours door and telling her to report me for child cruelty as there were blood curdling screams coming from my bathroom

My neighbour laughed and said not to worry, I was probably just washing Rhys' hair & bathing him

Amazing how that child would play all day in a paddling or swimming pool but as soon as he saw the bath he would start screaming and kicking - right from birth It's a wonder I ever got pregnant again

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Any tried & tested tips ?

Quote Originally Posted by hellsbells
    I was wondering if anybody had any tips they might share re washing/bathing their dogs …… from start to finish & in terms of making the experience an enjoyable one for their little ones

Also any tips or advise on how to make the most when drying off their wonderful coats would be greatly appreciated

Hope this posting doesnt sound silly

Sometimes the most obvious thing to one person is a welcomed solution to another
    Some dogs like baths, some hate them. Mine get bathed pretty often, so by the time they are a year old-- they are just resigned to the fact that they are getting wet. Treats, make it positive-- don't wear them out-- lots of snuggles-- make sure that they aren't injured.

Post Thanks / Like

I bathe mine in the kitchen sink so I don't have to bend over the tub and I have the sprayer hose. They are pretty good about it as they get washed every 3 wks. or so.

I did read one time about putting peanut butter on the wall of the bathtub if your dog hates the tub. They say the dog will quietly stand there and lick off the P/B while you bathe them.

I usually towel dry most of the water, let them zoom around the room and air almost dry, and then comb out. Use a conditioner!
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)