• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Any tried & tested tips ?

hellsbells

I was wondering if anybody had any tips they might share re washing/bathing their dogs …… from start to finish & in terms of making the experience an enjoyable one for their little ones :lotsaluv:

Also any tips or advise on how to make the most when drying off their wonderful coats would be greatly appreciated (y)

Hope this posting doesnt sound silly :sl*p:

Sometimes the most obvious thing to one person is a welcomed solution to another :D

our two are totally different when it comes to baths. Daisy Boo just stands there and waits to be pampered but Twinkle always tried to climb out of the bath. This changed at the weekend though. For a laugh I put on a pair of shorts and climbed into the bath with her to see how she'd react. She was happy as Larry and stood steadily for me the whole time!

We just give the a quick rub of a towel when we're finished and then let them dry off naturally(be prepared for lots of running around and shaking). When they're dry Joanna gives them a good grooming

OK then this isn't on how to bath a dog but the dogs version of how to bath a cat....

. Thoroughly clean toilet.

2. Lift both lids and add shampoo.

3. Find and soothe cat as you carry him to bathroom.

4. In one swift move, place cat in toilet, close both lids and stand on top, so cat cannot escape.

5. The cat will self agitate and produce ample suds. (Ignore ruckus from inside toilet, cat is enjoying this)

6. Flush toilet 3 or 4 times. This provides power rinse, which is quite effective.

7. Have someone open outside door, stand as far from toilet as possible and quickly lift both lids.

8. Clean cat will rocket out of the toilet and outdoors, where he will air dry.

Sincerely,
The Dog
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Details on how I bathe dogs to follow

I usually run the bath 1/3rd full of warm water and plop dog in :lol: Keep talking to the baby nad saying what a good girl/boy he/she is.

Soak dog completely, all the time praising...

Mix shampoo with water and lather all over (keep praising)

Rinse dog with water from bath (still praising)

Let water out and run a few jug fulls of tepid water or use shower to completely rinse.

Lift dog out of bath onto pile of towels and then towel down and let go - make sure all doors are shut first or you'll have a wet bed.

Prepare for lots of excitement and shaking :lol:

When dry, groom gently - result one gorgeous clean little dog :D

Sounds just like what I do Donna - the dog wash I mean, not the cat wash :D
Imagine my face last Thursday night when I walked into the bathroom to see him indoors sitting in the bath with Twinkle icon_nwunsure
I have to say it was very effective though!

Can I borrow him to bath my two, Joanna? :lol:

I know this ounds daft but I actually find my dogs easier to bath than it was to bath my 20 year old son when he was a toddler :roll:

I remember one of the neighbours at the back of me knocking on my next door neighbours door and telling her to report me for child cruelty as there were blood curdling screams coming from my bathroom :yikes

My neighbour laughed and said not to worry, I was probably just washing Rhys' hair & bathing him :roll:

Amazing how that child would play all day in a paddling or swimming pool but as soon as he saw the bath he would start screaming and kicking - right from birth :roll: It's a wonder I ever got pregnant again :lol:

hellsbells said:
I was wondering if anybody had any tips they might share re washing/bathing their dogs …… from start to finish & in terms of making the experience an enjoyable one for their little ones :lotsaluv:

Also any tips or advise on how to make the most when drying off their wonderful coats would be greatly appreciated (y)

Hope this posting doesnt sound silly :sl*p:

Sometimes the most obvious thing to one person is a welcomed solution to another :D

Some dogs like baths, some hate them. Mine get bathed pretty often, so by the time they are a year old-- they are just resigned to the fact that they are getting wet. Treats, make it positive-- don't wear them out-- lots of snuggles-- make sure that they aren't injured.

I bathe mine in the kitchen sink so I don't have to bend over the tub and I have the sprayer hose. They are pretty good about it as they get washed every 3 wks. or so.

I did read one time about putting peanut butter on the wall of the bathtub if your dog hates the tub. They say the dog will quietly stand there and lick off the P/B while you bathe them.

I usually towel dry most of the water, let them zoom around the room and air almost dry, and then comb out. Use a conditioner!

i love giving zack a bath. He doesn't act like he's thrilled, but he just stands there and doesn't try to get away, and he gives me kisses if i ask for them, which is a good sign.

I don't actually give him baths, i spray him, i have one of these:

http://pet-guys.stores.yahoo.net/-706738614740.html

I LOVE this thing, it makes the bathing so easy. I have one of those little shower benches that elderly and disabled people get for the shower or bath, and i put him on that, and i usually stand and bend over, but i could sit down in the tube if i wanted, or sit on the side of the tub. I have the sprayer hooked up to the shower head. You can still use your shower when it's attached. the thing i love most about it is i press down with my thumb and the water sprays out. I let go with my thumb and the water stops, so i can let go of the hose and let it drop and use both my hands to rub shampoo in, or just comfort Zack, and then pick it up again, the on/off thing is great, good control over the water.

and yes, lots of "you are SUCH a GOOD boy, yes, good boy, good Zack.." etc. The last time i gave him a bath, i was washing insecticide (Advantage) off of him, and i was singing the whole time, "SINGING IN THE RAIN, SINGING IN THE RAIN, WHAT A GLORIOUS FEELING, I'M HAPPY AGAIN!!!." we had a great time.

i love the part at the end when i get the big fluffy towel and wrap him up in it and carry him downstairs and let him loose, at first he stays on my lap and lets me rub him, then he starts partying, such excitment, it's great entertainment.

I just let his hair dry the way it dries, i like how his coat looks.

I use Four Paws Magic Oatmeal shampoo, it's supposed to be good for their skin and hypoallergenic etc. I give him a bath about once a month.

this might sound kind of funny but I think it's easiest to actually shower with mine, LOL. icon_whistling One day we had in incredibly dirty walk and it started the trend.. I have one of those big shower heads and a big stand up shower. He sorta rolls into a ball when I pick him up and I drape him under (without getting water in his ears and eyes of course) and then flip him over to his back and put him under again.. I do his head with a cup of water. When he's wet I just turn off the shower, soap him... wash my hair while he's "sitting", wash him off, call my boyfriend to take him, and then wash myself. It might sound kid of odd, but it totally works for us@! I find it a lot easier to get his underside than sticking him in the sink. It's also a lot faster. I will probably stand alone on this method though. :p Good luck!!

Maxxs_Mummy,

Hey, so that's how you bath a cat!? I always knew I was missing something!! lol :p

I bath both of mine in the laundry tub in the basement, it is nice and deep and I use a hand held sprayer.

I wet them all up dilute my shampoo (Pet Silk it smells delicious)
Scrub away under body, top, ears and the each leg and feet.

Complete rinse, towel dry.

Let them run mad for about 5minutes and then get the blow drier out and
brush and dry them.

At the end I have always always given a very very special treat, so I have never had any problems with giving a bath and I bath my guys about every 2 weeks or more.

Donna your joke was gas ! I nearly fell off my seat laughing!! Poor cat!! :jump:

Seriously though ... thanks a million to everybody who added a post, they are all very helpful. I must give it another go at the weekend :wggle:

Donna you are wicked :badgrin: :badgrin: Will send it to my sister for her two Persians!!

I've started doing mine in the butler sink, as that saves bending.

Best tips I've been given - dilute the shampoo in a spare squeezy bottle before you start - makes it much easier to distribute and lather - I do like the Quistel range, esp for skin problems http://www.actigeneruk.co.uk/quistelframeset.htm

Also those foam sponge pads that you usually use to mop up spills etc in the kitchen are great for drying the dogs. I gently squeeze the water out of the coat, then use these all over, then they only need a quick dry with a towel - saves having loads of wet towels!!

Actually your not alone with the shower bathing method, I just started this and won't go back, Sabrina did much better in the shower with me vs the sink, she was sliding all over trying to climb out and not to mention the mess. I gave her a shower last weekend with me and she seemed to love it. As far as drying I blow dry her on low and med heat not hot. and she has actually gotten use to the blow dryer. My breeder has this really cool shami thing called Cool N Dry and it virtually dries her cavs in minutes and then finish with the blow dryer. But the shami thing really got 90% of the water off. I am going to buy one for fall/winter. Good Luck.

Back