Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Any tried & tested tips ?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    ..5. The cat will self agitate and produce ample suds. (Ignore ruckus from inside toilet, cat is enjoying this)

Post Thanks / Like

i love giving zack a bath. He doesn't act like he's thrilled, but he just stands there and doesn't try to get away, and he gives me kisses if i ask for them, which is a good sign.

I don't actually give him baths, i spray him, i have one of these:

http://pet-guys.stores.yahoo.net/-706738614740.html

I LOVE this thing, it makes the bathing so easy. I have one of those little shower benches that elderly and disabled people get for the shower or bath, and i put him on that, and i usually stand and bend over, but i could sit down in the tube if i wanted, or sit on the side of the tub. I have the sprayer hooked up to the shower head. You can still use your shower when it's attached. the thing i love most about it is i press down with my thumb and the water sprays out. I let go with my thumb and the water stops, so i can let go of the hose and let it drop and use both my hands to rub shampoo in, or just comfort Zack, and then pick it up again, the on/off thing is great, good control over the water.

and yes, lots of "you are SUCH a GOOD boy, yes, good boy, good Zack.." etc. The last time i gave him a bath, i was washing insecticide (Advantage) off of him, and i was singing the whole time, "SINGING IN THE RAIN, SINGING IN THE RAIN, WHAT A GLORIOUS FEELING, I'M HAPPY AGAIN!!!." we had a great time.

i love the part at the end when i get the big fluffy towel and wrap him up in it and carry him downstairs and let him loose, at first he stays on my lap and lets me rub him, then he starts partying, such excitment, it's great entertainment.

I just let his hair dry the way it dries, i like how his coat looks.

I use Four Paws Magic Oatmeal shampoo, it's supposed to be good for their skin and hypoallergenic etc. I give him a bath about once a month.

Post Thanks / Like

this might sound kind of funny but I think it's easiest to actually shower with mine, LOL. One day we had in incredibly dirty walk and it started the trend.. I have one of those big shower heads and a big stand up shower. He sorta rolls into a ball when I pick him up and I drape him under (without getting water in his ears and eyes of course) and then flip him over to his back and put him under again.. I do his head with a cup of water. When he's wet I just turn off the shower, soap him... wash my hair while he's "sitting", wash him off, call my boyfriend to take him, and then wash myself. It might sound kid of odd, but it totally works for us@! I find it a lot easier to get his underside than sticking him in the sink. It's also a lot faster. I will probably stand alone on this method though. Good luck!!

Maxxs_Mummy,

Hey, so that's how you bath a cat!? I always knew I was missing something!! lol

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I bath both of mine in the laundry tub in the basement, it is nice and deep and I use a hand held sprayer.

I wet them all up dilute my shampoo (Pet Silk it smells delicious)
    Scrub away under body, top, ears and the each leg and feet.

Complete rinse, towel dry.

Let them run mad for about 5minutes and then get the blow drier out and
    brush and dry them.

At the end I have always always given a very very special treat, so I have never had any problems with giving a bath and I bath my guys about every 2 weeks or more.

Post Thanks / Like

Donna your joke was gas ! I nearly fell off my seat laughing!! Poor cat!!

Seriously though ... thanks a million to everybody who added a post, they are all very helpful. I must give it another go at the weekend

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Donna you are wicked Will send it to my sister for her two Persians!!

I've started doing mine in the butler sink, as that saves bending.

Best tips I've been given - dilute the shampoo in a spare squeezy bottle before you start - makes it much easier to distribute and lather - I do like the Quistel range, esp for skin problems http://www.actigeneruk.co.uk/quistelframeset.htm

Also those foam sponge pads that you usually use to mop up spills etc in the kitchen are great for drying the dogs. I gently squeeze the water out of the coat, then use these all over, then they only need a quick dry with a towel - saves having loads of wet towels!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Actually your not alone with the shower bathing method, I just started this and won't go back, Sabrina did much better in the shower with me vs the sink, she was sliding all over trying to climb out and not to mention the mess. I gave her a shower last weekend with me and she seemed to love it. As far as drying I blow dry her on low and med heat not hot. and she has actually gotten use to the blow dryer. My breeder has this really cool shami thing called Cool N Dry and it virtually dries her cavs in minutes and then finish with the blow dryer. But the shami thing really got 90% of the water off. I am going to buy one for fall/winter. Good Luck.