• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

drops of blood 2 months after heat

bonniepirate

Hi there everyone

Great site!

I have a nine month old ckc bitch named Poppy! We love her to pieces haha

Anyway - unfortunately our work calls us out of the country a couple of times a year and we have to leave her with family (who also love her) - last time we were gone, which was mid-april to mid-may, when she was about 6 months old she went into heat (my poor sister) - all seemed to go fine, we didn't really have much trouble from male dogs or anything like that.

A few weeks after she should have been out of heat (and we were home) she started exhibitng pregnancy symptoms which our vet confirmed was simply a 'phantom pregnancy'.

We are going away again tomorrow (and this time she's staying with my mum and dad) and yesterday she started dropping blood again, the same way she did when she was on heat.. now I'm worried, it's over two months since she stopped her first heat. Could it just be stress? Maybe she knows we're leaving her again?

I hate leaving her, I hate leaving her more now that these symptoms have occurred - does anyone have any idea what it can be? I'm trying to get ahold of my vet to bring her there before we leave but I was wondering if anyone can clue me in as to what this might be?

I'll post pictures of her in the new-comer section now :)

Hi and welcome. You have a very pretty little girl there and I like her name. I think I would have her checked to make sure she doesn't have an infection....just to be sure.

Hiya and welcome,

Your baby is beautiful and has a gorgeous little face. OK then, I think you need to get her checked immediately. If she has pyometria it can prove fatal if left unchecked. We almost lost a GSD through this before :(

Be honest, would you enjoy your trip (even though it's business) whilst unsure about her or worrying about her? Best to be safe than sorry :flwr:

let us know how she gets on?

There are many quite serious problems that can develop in unspayed females. particularly pyometra, which has a very high mortality rate:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2194

I'd definitely want a vet to check any unspayed female that keeps showing drops of blood and I'd do this as a matter of urgency -- if you cannot get her in then I'd have whoever is watching her get her in right away.

Thanks guys

no I'm definitely worried about her and have been calling round different vets all morning (why is no one answering their phone!!!??? )

I assure you I hate leaving her as it is, never mind right now :(

I'll let you know how we get on :)

Yes please do get her to the vet - there are as others have said lots of possibilities, inc cystic ovaries which would mean she would keep cycling and would therefore be coming in to heat again.

Keep us posted - sending positive healing thoughts for your baby

Will your Mum and Dad be able to get her to a Vet for you? I don't think I'd be able to go away knowing my little one might be ill so I really feel for you.

Have you got a thermometer? Could you keep an eye on her temperature? A dogs normal temperature should be 38-39°C. Anything above or below this needs urgent medical treatment.

I bought a childs digital thermometer to use rectally with the dogs. Just remember to use a bad of KY or Vaseline before you use it so you don't hurt them.

when we got cookie she was stressed and went into heat early, as we got her in november and she had gone into season in late august/early september. I spoke to the vet and they said a change can disrupt a dog and this is what caused cookies. Maybe your Cav can sense somethings happening??

well we got her to our vet and he reckoned there was nothing wrong and that she was just going into a second heat early (i agree on the stress thing - she totally knew we were going!) .. he did however give her a week long antibiotic (better safe than sorry?)

my mum and dad are very vigilant (they have two dogs themselves) so i think all will be well - they say she's in a great mood now that she has her cousins with her! haha

i just have to miss her, that's all. boo :(

I'm glad to hear nothing's wrong and that she's in capable hands! Have an excellent trip, and I hope for you that the time flies so you can get back to your baby fast!! :flwr:

So glad she's OK. Nothing worse than having to leave them whilst they are ill :( I'll bet your parents dote on her too :flwr:

Back