• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

O/T But please SOS!!!!!

This morning i cross posted this to the Companion Animal and Beyond Vaccinations mail lists and a few people responded that they sent emails. I also got the following email requesting more info. Is there any more info available of the kind being requested?

Judy, I'd like to help... but when I went to the link at Many Tears Rescue there was no place this incident was posted to. I am president of our National AKC Breed Club and President of our local UKC club and know many dog owners that I could get an email writing group together to post to the police department, however, I need further information on this circumstance before I jump in feet first. I would hate to find out it was just a hoax... Can you get me more information????

--
Lynn McClure
AngelHeart~Eskies
<<http://www.angelheart-eskies.com/>http://www.angelheart-eskies.com/> www.angelheart-eskies.com

UPDATE............

Saxon's story will be in OurDogs mag this week

http://www.ourdogs.co.uk/

There is also an update....

UPDATE:

Kennel report for the Gwent Police Authority animal welfare scheme

24th July 2006

The purpose of the visit was to see, discuss & put in place recommendations for Saxon, the German Shepherd dog, 5yrs of age.

Visit started at 09.30 am

Saxon was chilled out in his kennel at the time of our visit but we were assured that he has regular walks with the handlers he also has a large kennel & run all spotlessly clean & also access to a large compound for exercise, he is in good condition & very well looked after by the staff.

The subject of Saxon being put down was asked & we were told that no decision had been made with regards to this. We have asked for an independent assessment of the dog by a qualified person other than Police personnel & were granted that . When this is done we then want a meeting of all involved to discuss the dogs future. The visitors were happy at the outcome today & look forward in correct decisions in the future.

This visit was attended by, Mr E.Crouch, Mr D.Bayliss, Mr L.Morgan Visit finished at 11.30 a.m

We await next weeks decision with baited breath but hope Saxon wins his appeal (y)

And how are their retiring "human" officers treated? Surely they are not euthanized at the end of their service!!! Seems to me that the canine officers should receive the same treatment, even a pension, as their human counterparts when they retire after years of faithful service. What a horrible situation. Wish there was something we in the US could do to help. Any thoughts?

JaneB

JaneB said:
And how are their retiring "human" officers treated? Surely they are not euthanized at the end of their service!!! Seems to me that the canine officers should receive the same treatment, even a pension, as their human counterparts when they retire after years of faithful service. What a horrible situation. Wish there was something we in the US could do to help. Any thoughts?

JaneB

Here's a petition someone posted on the Beyond vaccinations list:
http://www.petitiononline.com/k9saxon/

Good point about retiring officers and how they're rewarded. I think i remember the reason given for them wanting to put down Saxon was that on one occasion he became violent with his handler. The handler claimed it was his own fault, and that it was during the dog's training, and no other violent behavior had ever happened again, and that such as it was, it wasn't a big deal. But that is the justification they gave--they presented statistics showing that most of the dogs they retire, they do not euthanize, and that it's just about public safety.

But then what if one of their officers is involved in a shooting, or an act of police brutality, or just having developed a mindset that goes along with having the right to coerce other people using physical force? Obviously they wouldn't suggest euthanizing such officers upon retirement. If the dog poses a theoreticl danger because of that previous attack behavior, if that's what it was, who's to say none of the other dogs don't also pose the same danger? Just because they've never attacked, haven't they all been trained to, on command?

It's just bizarre thinking, well, i think the word for it is inhumane thinking, like the nazis, where a living sentient being is objectified and not treated like a fellow being.

i hope media attention and a worldwide email campaign will not only make a difference for Saxon but will lead to a difference in public policy governing such decisions beyond this one police district, i hope attention will be drawn to this practice wherever it exists. I would like to find out what the policies of my local police departments are. I think if Saxon's advocates could find out about police departments that have other ways of dealing with retiring dogs they believe to be potentially dangerous, it might be constructive to share these examples with the Gwent department, as suggestions.

When I emailed Gwent Police, i did ask them if they would treat a human being in the same way and informed them that just because saxon has four legs and a tail, he should still be entitled to the same rights as any other officer. therefore, instead of euthanasing him, they should be paying for everything he needs.

If you want to protest, it doesn't matter where in the world you are - you can still click on the email address and voice your opinions to the Police.

i would like to know who is over the police in Gwent.
Where i live, over the police, you have police commissions and those are political posts, appointed by the mayor i think, or by the city council, who are elected. Those people should be getting emails, people who would have to think, once the public outcry is widespread and strong enough, that it would be a huge political liability to be associated with killing the noble dog. I wonder who it is in Gwent that has authority over what the police do, who are at the same time not part of the police department. Because the police themselves are independent of politics, and because they are getting a lot of pretty harsh emails, i fear they will take an attitude that they can't go letting the public call the shots for the police. But if there are other people over the police, i would see emailing them as important, along with emailing the police.

Here is, i think, a former mayor of Gwent:
http://www.libdems.org.uk/party/people/mr-phylip-phil-hobson.html maybe his political party would be sensitive to this issue...

i googled 'mayor of gwent' but am mostly finding 'blaenau gwent,' is it the same thing? If anyone has any contacts on politicians who would have real authority over the police, i would appreciate the info.

Here's something:
http://www.gwentpa.police.uk/

This Gwent Police Authority seems like it might be analogous to the police commission here in Los Angeles, it seems to be appointed by the Home Office. I will email them about saxon and about who it is who has authority to insure that the police will not be insensitive to this public outcry and concern, not only local but worldwide. maybe someone posted this contact above, if so, here it is again. my brain doesn't retain info consistently when i read it.

Hi Judy,

First off. Yes, Blaenau Gwent is the same place. Secondly, I doubt very much that the GwentPA would be able to do anything. Might be worth a try though. I have emailed local Govt. members in Gwent and also the Prime Minister's office in London (you know, the weird looking guy who is bessie mates with Pres Bush ;) :lol: ).

We'll see what happens but I doubt very much that Saxon will be euthanased after the huge outcry they have had.

I think Gwent has a high crime rate anyway and if they go p***ing the public off then it will only get worse!

All we can do is email as many people as possible about it - thanks for all your help.

xxx

Back