Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I liked this

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thank you for posting that. Is it okay for me to make an email and send it to the training center I belong to? I'm sure Ed, the owner, will post it on the wall for all to see, and maybe include it in his newsletter.

When my little Tasha, a maltese mix, was starting to go downhill I called my vet, and he was kind enough to explain everything to me as well as to help me understand how I would know when it is time. He allowed me to prepay, so I wouldn't have to take care of it when her time came.

When I finally decided to take her in, they were very kind and did not make me wait in the waiting room with other people. We arranged it so that they would come to my car and let me carry her in the back door. One of the nurses held her, but they let me hold her little face in my hands and talk to her while the vet administered the drugs. They let me stay alone with her for awhile til I was composed enough to leave.

A few days later, on a Saturday, I received a packet in the mail. It was a handmade card; they had put some brown ink on her little feet and pressed them to the front of the card along with her name and the date she was euthanized. Enclosed was a lock of her hair in a tiny zip lock bag. There was a poem printed inside entitled "Your Pets in Heaven" by Ken D. Conover.

I have tears as I write this, but I know that was the best way for her to go and for me to say goodbye. I wish all vets were as kind as this group.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Made me have a real weepy moment Karlin I will have to save this ...Laurie

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Cathy, sure you can print it out.

Sounds like you have fantastic vets. When I had to let one of my cats go I was a wreck; they let me sit with her as long as I wanted and the nurses kept checking back, then they let me go out the side door when I was semi-composed but I think everyone in the practice saw me in a state! They sent a card a few days later and it meant a lot. There are three vets there that I really like, and two of the women, who both have cats, helped me make the decision that the time was right by giving me their honest opinion of what they would do were she one of their own cats. That helped so much.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Lily Tansy Libby Mindy
    In memory: Lucy Leo
    Cavalier SM Information site:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Such very true words.

Owning an animal is a big resposibility, I only wish more would consider this when they buy that new pup/kitten/hampster/bird etc, etc....

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

That was so beautiful Karlin. thanks. Some vets are very good aren't they. When the time came for our cat the vet made arrangements for our family to come after hours. He left us alone and when we were ready he was waiting at the desk almost in tears himself. He told us that it doesn't get any easier even after 30 odd years. It was this same vet with whom we arranged for him to come to our house when the time came for our 13 year old cav to be given his wings as it used to stress him so much towards the end everytime he had to go to the vet. We didn't need to use this service as our darling boy died at home in my husband's arms of a heart attack.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Cathy you had me in tears again....... I will just have to start blaming my hayfever...... I hope my guys lived to be old gents and then go over the bridge in their sleep with no pain...

Post Thanks / Like

Beautiful and it made me cry. Brings back memories of the dogs we have lost. Staying with them to the end at the vets actually helped. It was a comfort to see how painlessly they fell asleep and to know they were not alone and that they were no longer in pain.
    Molly and Murphy (tri), Katie (ruby), Casey (B/T),Spike the wonder pup (tri), Suzie (tri) and Penny (blen)

Post Thanks / Like

Tears are flowing down my cheeks as i write this . This post definitely needs a Kleenex warning. I have a lovely prayer somewhere for Dogs who cross over the bridge , I will find it and post it , its comforting words for those who have lost a faithful friend . I dread the day I will have to say goodbye to my girls.
    Mimi
    Mum to Heidi ( Tri-female ) Nifa (Blenheim female ) & Rua ( Ruby male )
    & Cavalier Angel Ruby ( Blenheim female ) at the Bridge