• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I liked this

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
and added it to the 'Considering a cavalier?' article in the LIbrary.

Ten things a Dog asks of its Person!

1. My life is likely to last 10 to 15 years. Any separation from you will be painful for me.

Remember that before you buy me.

2. Give me time to understand what you want of me.

3. Place your trust in me -- it's crucial for my well being.

4. Don't be angry at me for long and don't lock me up as punishment.
You have your work, your entertainment and your friends. I only have you.

5. Talk to me sometimes.

Even though I don't understand your words, I understand your voice when it's speaking to me.

6. Be aware that however you treat me, I will not forget.

7. Remember before you hit me that I have teeth that could easily crush the bones of your hand, but that I choose not to bite you.

8. Before you scold me for being "uncooperative" or "obstinate" or "lazy", ask yourself if something might be bothering me. Perhaps I am not getting the right food, or I've been out in the sun too long, or my heart is getting old and weak.

9. Take care of me when I get old; you too, will grow old.

10. Go with me on difficult journeys.

Never say "I can't bear to watch" or "Let it happen in my absence."
Everything is easier for me if you are there.

Author unknown :)

The last couple of items actually made my eyes tear up. :( Made me think of my 14.5 year old dog that died before I got India.

I like it too. :flwr:

That says it all.

Crying at the last one.

Why am I an emotional wreck lately? I think it's 'cos I've spent so much time going round shelters looking for our perfect little new addition.

:cry*ing: Here as well. All dogs ask for is kindness and love, why do some find it so hard to give even a fraction of what they receive?

On a serious note: I think the last one kind of hits you by surprise, but it is so true, and I like the way it is put -- it really would make you think again and remember this when that time comes. I know vets feel it makes a big difference for an owner to be there, and I think it is our final responsibility to be there if we possibly can, for all the years we have shared with our companions, cat or dog. It is also a very profound experience, and a release for the owner. A good vets will facilitate time alone, too.

The first time is the hardest because you don't know what to expect -- I think after that, and you see how gentle the departure is and how glad the animal is that you are there, most people would want to be there. We all know how many times they were there for us when we were most down and depressed and saddened, as well as all the good times. They show such courage for us, so many times. I would encourage anyone to be brave if they think they couldn't bear to be there -- perhaps even talk through with your vet how they facilitate this and what the animal experiences, well in advance of ever needing to be there.

:flwr:

So true Karlin. I couldn't bear to let either of mine go alone :( . I never forgave myself for not being there when my darling Teddy, my beautiful GSD girl had to cross the bridge.

That was so sudden though, hubby took her to the Vet whilst I took the kids to school and playschool. He came home red eyed and said that the Vet had had to let her go, there was no time to let me know as she was in so much pain :(

That is such a moving post, and it's particularly poignant when you consider that some dogs (and other animals) never receive the good treatment that they deserve :(

Thank you for posting that. Is it okay for me to make an email and send it to the training center I belong to? I'm sure Ed, the owner, will post it on the wall for all to see, and maybe include it in his newsletter.

When my little Tasha, a maltese mix, was starting to go downhill I called my vet, and he was kind enough to explain everything to me as well as to help me understand how I would know when it is time. He allowed me to prepay, so I wouldn't have to take care of it when her time came.

When I finally decided to take her in, they were very kind and did not make me wait in the waiting room with other people. We arranged it so that they would come to my car and let me carry her in the back door. One of the nurses held her, but they let me hold her little face in my hands and talk to her while the vet administered the drugs. They let me stay alone with her for awhile til I was composed enough to leave.

A few days later, on a Saturday, I received a packet in the mail. It was a handmade card; they had put some brown ink on her little feet and pressed them to the front of the card along with her name and the date she was euthanized. Enclosed was a lock of her hair in a tiny zip lock bag. There was a poem printed inside entitled "Your Pets in Heaven" by Ken D. Conover.

I have tears as I write this, but I know that was the best way for her to go and for me to say goodbye. I wish all vets were as kind as this group. :flwr:

Cathy, sure you can print it out. :)

Sounds like you have fantastic vets. When I had to let one of my cats go I was a wreck; they let me sit with her as long as I wanted and the nurses kept checking back, then they let me go out the side door when I was semi-composed but I think everyone in the practice saw me in a state! They sent a card a few days later and it meant a lot. There are three vets there that I really like, and two of the women, who both have cats, helped me make the decision that the time was right by giving me their honest opinion of what they would do were she one of their own cats. That helped so much.

Such very true words.

Owning an animal is a big resposibility, I only wish more would consider this when they buy that new pup/kitten/hampster/bird etc, etc....

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

That was so beautiful Karlin. thanks. Some vets are very good aren't they. When the time came for our cat the vet made arrangements for our family to come after hours. He left us alone and when we were ready he was waiting at the desk almost in tears himself. He told us that it doesn't get any easier even after 30 odd years. It was this same vet with whom we arranged for him to come to our house when the time came for our 13 year old cav to be given his wings as it used to stress him so much towards the end everytime he had to go to the vet. We didn't need to use this service as our darling boy died at home in my husband's arms of a heart attack.
Julie and the girls

Oh Cathy you had me in tears again....... I will just have to start blaming my hayfever...... I hope my guys lived to be old gents and then go over the bridge in their sleep with no pain... :?

Beautiful and it made me cry. Brings back memories of the dogs we have lost. Staying with them to the end at the vets actually helped. It was a comfort to see how painlessly they fell asleep and to know they were not alone and that they were no longer in pain.

Tears are flowing down my cheeks as i write this . This post definitely needs a Kleenex warning. I have a lovely prayer somewhere for Dogs who cross over the bridge , I will find it and post it , its comforting words for those who have lost a faithful friend . I dread the day I will have to say goodbye to my girls.
Mimi

Back