Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Renu contact lense solution

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Renu contact lense solution

I'm wondering if I can use the Renu on India's front paws hair to get the staining out. Its that reddish stain (yeast) that some cavs get near their eyes, that was described in the 'Tearing' topic.

We thought the staining was from bully sticks, but Geordie never gets the stains and he chews the same bully sticks. I think it's from India laying with her jowls right on her front paws. She sleeps that way when napping during the day.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

King has that too...I believe it's caused by licking or just the drool staining the hair..King sometimes will lick his paw after chewing on a bully stick or chicken fillet cuz his paws smell like it....I have a product for the tear stains (Dr.Miller's Eye Solution http://www.animalwellness.net/eyesolution.html what it does is actually change the chemistry of the tears so not to stain the hair under the eyes....but i wouldn't kno wat to do bout the stained paws
    Aaron, King and the rest of family
    living in NY

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the info. Next time I'm at the vet I'm going to ask what she thinks.

I stopped in at the self serve dogwash / groomer to ask, and they said they don't have any products for this specific problem. They suggested making a paste of baking soda and working it through the discolored hair. It did lighten the stain, but didn't remove it.

I asked about whitening shampoos, and they said that is too harsh on a dog's coat, they don't use the whitening products.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'd try it and see if it works. The Renu seems to work well on eye yeast stains.

This is a well-known page on yeast and tear stains and how to stop them, as well as why they occur. It is very interesting and offers a range of reasons and also identifies the red yeast that likes to grow in damp fur:

http://www.bhejei.com/tearsta.htm

I know breeder Laura Lang feels dogs often will stain until they are adults because the shape of the skull and the way it fits the eye sockets keeps changing; she feels it reaces a better fit at adulthood and much of the tearing stops. That has been the case with my two boys.

The page above also gives a formula for removing stains on fur.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's interesting that they said that about whitening shampoos. I would think the whitening ingredient is probably hydrogen peroxide and we all know that isn;t great to use on hair frequently. I'll have to check.

The single best whitener I have found is taking the dogs to a sandy beach and letting them get damp and 'dirty' with sand. Then just brush them when they are dry. The sand actually abrades out all the dirt!! Their coats are always shiny white after a trip to the beach -- better than any shampoo.

PS You do end up vacuuming sand from the house though...

I'd bet baking soda would work as well.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Thanks for the link to this info. I will try the Renu or one of the other items listed on the website, making sure to not let India lick it. Interestingly, India is my one cavalier who has gunky ears which could be somehow related to this problem. (The vet gave me an ear cleaning solution for India recently.)

Wish I had a sandy beach nearby!!! I guess baking soda will have to do for now.

This is a small world! I live in the same neck of the woods as Laura Lang, and have made her acquaintance at the vet's office - she was drawn to my cavaliers, of course! We've seen her showing her dogs locally, too. Wonderful person, who truly works for the betterment of this breed!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Her Roycroftcavaliers.com website has a wealth of information in her online owners manual on cavaliers. My parent's cavalier is one of her retired breeding girls.

After you clean India's legs, just wash off the solution with some water and it won't matter if she licks there. You'd be washing off baking soda anyway and the Renu probably won;t hurt but I'd just give her legs a quick rinse.
    Karlin

Post Thanks / Like

I have a GREAT whitening shampoo that is not harsh and contains no harmful chemicals ! Its PetSilk Bright White . If you havent tried their products , Petsilk is AWSOME !!!!!! It leaves them silky silky soft and I have a TON of Cav customers who swear by it ....including myself The bright White can even be used on Tri's ........it enhances ALL of their colors !

as far as what to put on the foot stains .....Petsilk also makes a great tear stain remover that can be used anywhere .....some people even use it on pee stains and it works well !

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I already bought a bottle of the Renu, so I will try that out on her first. Good idea about rinsing it off, thanks!

Roxanne, thanks, I will keep that in mind if the Renu doesn't work.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by karlin
    Her Roycroftcavaliers.com website has a wealth of information in her online owners manual on cavaliers. My parent's cavalier is one of her retired breeding girls.
    That's great that your parent got one of her girls, I'll bet she's beautiful. I never saw x-rays and certification info. on a breeder's web site before, and I think it's great Laura does that. I haven't gone to her site for awhile, so will check back for the owner's manual.
    Cathy Moon