• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHEEEEEEEEEK

judy

:yikes
thanks. i needed to let that out.
I just dropped zack off to get his hair cut. i'm definitely a little freaked about it. very mixed feelings, i love his coat. but i want him to be cooler, and also, i am still trying to manage fleas without using pesticides on him and the long hair makes it way too hard to use flea combing very effectively.

They are going to give him a "#1" which means they will leave one inch, plus not cutting his ears, tail and foot feathers at all.

At first the guy said they would leave an inch and a half, but that didn't seem like enough for me. I'm even wondering if he should have just a 1/2 inch, i might call them back and tell them. I didn't realize there were so many choices.

I tried to take 'before' photos and i got a few, but i wanted to take him from the side and he kept turning to face me.

anyway...he'll be done at 4 or sooner. i have to go to work. I'm looking forward to him being cooler. bye bye hair.... :cry*ing:

of with the old, on with the new

my two girls had summer cuts for the first time. I thought they go thru that "embarassed" stage after the cuts, but both of them have been so much cooler! My groomer was the one that wasn't quite sure of my request - I had everything trimmed (cept the tail) esp. the feet and underbelly. During the summer months, I always keep their ears & feet trimmed shorter.

I think you'll find he'll definitely love it!!

Sheri

We keep Abbey cut a bit shorter in the summer as well. The one thing I always stress to people who are looking for a groomer is to find one that does hand-drying (hairdryer) rather than cage-drying. Too many risks with cage-drying and it takes forever. The first place I took Abbey to used cage-drying. She was there for almost 5 hours! :yikes When I asked why it took so long, they explained the process--the dogs sit in the dryer while they work on other dogs. Not a good situation--dehydration, etc. The place we go to now only does hand drying, and Abbey's appointment takes a bit over an hour. The groomer only works on her, she's in and she's out--a lot less stressfull for her and me. :D

Judy

I am not one to give them haircuts, I love the free flowing hair that they have.
I would love to see your before/after shots.

I bet he will be cooler, but so so sorry I just love the coats on our precious babies.

Don't worry he going to feel so much better for it. :)

If he is anything like SianE he will be running around like a puppy. SianE didn’t just look like a different dog she acted like one as well.

In a couple of weeks you will notice how much his fur has grown. Which reminds me I have to trim SianE again

Judy,

He'll be fine hun, don't worry :lol: . My youngest and I have decided that we are going to thread the extension cable through to the garden tomorrow and put the babies one at a time on an old patio table and shave all their coats off.

Maxx in particular is having problems coping with this weather. His coat is so thick and fluffy and he is really miserable :( . The last time I sent him to the groomers she messed it up badly and charged me £27 so I'm only going to have myself to blame if it goes wrong tomorrow :lol:

Judy, you are a very brave mommy! Don't worry, his hair will grow back. Think of all the pups that have to get shaved for surgery. :flwr:

I have not cut my dogs hair yet, except to thin the girls' hair with the Mars Coat King. They don't like the heat for very long, so they come inside to the air conditioning mostly. They love to go out at night or early morning when it is cooler, though. :lol:

Don't worry Judy..you may look at him weird for the first week or so...but it will take time to get used to the change...Zack will thank u for it though

thanks for the Support guys. it was hard to bring myself to do it, but now that it's done, i'm glad. He looks the same except his penis shows now and his coat does look a bit strange--i didn't expect it to look so jagged. I guess if i'd had him shaved, it would look more neat and even. The man seemed to think i would find the change too severe if i shaved him, or even went to 1/2 inch. but i think i could've handled it. .... but this is my first time so i wasn't sure. I figured i can always take him back and have more cut off if i want, whereas if i didn't like it shorter, i couldn't put the hair back on.. seriously though, the idea wasn't to have him look beautiful. That was the sacrifice that was on the table. the idea was to make him cooler and make it easy to see and remove fleas, and to allow the stuff i was putting on him to get down to his skin, like brewers yeast and vinegar. (i call him my little bread loaf and my little salad sometimes. He smells like an italian restaurant). Anyway, the hair cut is not beautiful, but i like it, it seems so much more appropriate for the heat which just goes on day after day, wonder when it's going to break and cool off....

I'll make some photos tomorrow morning and post before and after.

Aaaw poor Judy. I'm sure Zack feels cooler though. I had Daisy Boo's paw feathers trimmed yesterday to prevent her slipping on the floor. I'm allergic to the results but they'll grow back.

Is the current weather forecast typcial for Santa Monica? High temps in the mid 70s? And you're worried about him being hot?!

Back