• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housebreaking Problem

CosmoKC

We've had little Cosmo for just over 2 weeks now. We are crate training him, and all seemed to be going well. He had an accident in his crate the first 2 nights but had been fine ever since, until last night. I guess this is where my inexperience is showing.

We had some pretty nasty storms last night, and I don't think that he cared for them very much. Everytime there was a lull in the storm, we tried to take him out, but he would just want to come back in. He didn't even try to go.

Anyways, we fell asleep for a few hours and woke up and he had messed his cage :yuk: . I took him outside immediately in case anything else was left (it had stopped raining by then, just wet grass), but he just wanted to come back in, so I assumed that he was empty. Two minutes later, he pee'd on the floor, and it was a good bit, so I don't think that it was a sudden urge.

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks!!

Some of mine won't go outside if the grass is "wet" (let alone they get spooked by a storm). The others will dance in the rain-- but if there is thunder - no way. Do you go out with the dog?

Yes, we do go out with the dog. I do have a covered deck out back where I let him out. I try not to let him go on that, as I obviously prefer the grass, but in this situation, I'd be happy for him to go there even.

WoodHaven said:
Some of mine won't go outside if the grass is "wet" (let alone they get spooked by a storm). The others will dance in the rain-- but if there is thunder - no way. Do you go out with the dog?

I think it was more than likely the storm that scared him. Maxx is almost 7 and 75% deaf but he can sense a storm from miles away. When it's bad rain like that he'll almost burst his bladder before he'll go out.

I honestly think it's just one of those things, he was scared - too scared to go out. He didn't want to mess his crate up any more than you wanted him to but he was too scared :(

Poor little Cosmo :(

This is what I was assuming as well. The only thing that I found a little odd was that he wouldn't pee outside this morning, even though the rain had been stopped for a while. However, the yard was soaked.

If it was in between downpours then they can sense there is more on the way :(

During what we call 'firework season' here - usually from beginning October until New Years Day Maxx is a nightmare to get toileted after dark.

I have to entice him out the garden with bits of carrot and shut all the doors so that he can't run stright back in :roll:

Bet he'll be fine once the storms have all passed over again.

In that kind of situation I'd actually walk him, rather than just go into the yard. He's far more likely to relieve himslef in the course of a walk when there isn;t the option to go right back in. Also you need to get a pattern established of him going outside anyway, regardless of weather. Jaspar has been the same; dislikes getting damp (he even looks thru the mail slot to see if it is still raining, if it was damp on his previous walk. :roll: ). This was also an issue while housetraining.

Also are you training him to a pee and poop command? If you do this, especially for a pee, you are a lot more likely to be able to tell if he has gone. Jaspar is trained to a phrase and he will squat and try to wee when he hears it. This is very convenient for travelling or situations such as you've just experienced.

He is still only very tiny, don't panic and stay calm about training him. He may will pick up any tenseness and it might possibly worry him more or make him nervous about the whole toilet thing.....

It takes months to train and even with a very well trained dog that will do jobs on command the odd accident will happen.

A routine is a must. Use single key words or signals. Keep it easy.

"Wee, bed and bone"...has my three through the door into the garden like rockets even when asleep they hear it! Up and out they go.

Wee's done and a sniff around the garden later they fly the stairs and are sat waiting in their beds for a night time biscuit bone. They sit happily waiting while I shower etc. It took months to get this routine going but with gentle, calm training and keeping commands simple you will do it. I also use the same routine if I'm going out in the day time and I refresh the training many times to keep it up. A routine like this is invaluable when visiting with dogs or leaving with friends. Likewise they know "wee" for what it is and can be asked on a walk to go when in a private area suitable for it. I use the word "job" for the other end and the rustle of a poo bag with that word normally starts that going!

I think it is much easier to train new dogs into the family than a single dog as they seem to watch and copy the others, Whitney had the routines sorted in a week after being with us, she looks at training as a fun thing and being a stomach on legs it really helps her!!!

Enjoy him while he is tiny.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Back