• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question About Cavalier Aging - Eyebrows Going White

misty

Thought I'd throw this question out to you all.

What age have your cavaliers started developing white in their eyebrows or cheeks?

Cailean is 6 and isn't going white. Declan was going white by the age of 6.

Bradley has white in his eyebrows - but we don't know his age precisely. Puppy farm said he was 5, rescue centre said he was 4 and vet thinks he's about 4. Just wondering how old he really is.

Our oldest girl Penny is kind of grey around the edges, especially the eyes. I think we first noticed it around age 7 or so. Her daughter Kate is now 6 and we don't see any sign of grey yet. Maybe it has to do with genetics; have never really done any research on it.

In humans I believe it has a lot do do genetics. A good friend of mine was completely grey by 30, as was his dad. Guess I will never complain about my grey!

Fran,

looking at the pictures of your darling Bradley I'm sure he isn't far behind 7/8, a little younger than my late Honey-Bee who from various consultations put her in the 10+ age group. It wasn't just the white on the eye brows it was also the white within the coat and around her cheeks. Also the Cushings which was well established gave an indication to her age as this normally starts with an older dog and she had bore the condition for some while.

I guess stress and life style play their part in ageing as well so it takes many factors to give a true picture.

Glad to be able to read your posts about him, sounds like he is making himself at home!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

It is very hard to tell, most people say that if the dog has had a difficult life, or has an anxious personality, they tend to go grey around 7/8. Otherwise it's 9ish...

Rupert started to go grey when we lost Fillipa, who was his "ears" and doting companion, he was 7. It's really only around his eyes and face though, his body patches are still very chestnut.

It doesn't seem to follow in families from dogs I've known, but I would have expected genetics to play a part, as Bruce says.

Back