• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Cat Problem - Argh

misty

Help!!!

Bradley is a cat chaser, and we own 2!

Our cats our house-cats and Buzz hides upstairs in the office all day. We have to literally pull him out of his hiding place at night to feed him.

Stella is a little more plucky. She's fed up with being chased, but is more feisty, so hangs around.

Sometimes Bradley stops the chase when I call him to me, sometimes not.

I've had this problem before introducing cats and dogs, but only for a couple of days.

Any advice? It makes me sad that Buzz is going into hiding.

I don't believe Bradley could be a naughty boy, Fran ;) I don't have any suggestions as Maxx is scared of cats and Charlie will chase them out of the garden for him :roll:

Hope you get it sorted soon xxxxx

Better day today - no cat chasing, but Buzz is in hiding :roll:

Stella actually rubbed herself against Bradley's chest this morning - mind you, she was hungry :) :)

A Feliway plug-in in the room where Buzz is hiding would likely really de-stress him. I have been amazed at how much more relaxed my cats have been. I had one who had started going outside the litterbox regularly too. In the past 2-3 weeks since I plugged in the feliway, she has only done this once.

Do these cats have claws? If so, I suspect eventually they'll straighten the dog out. Either of our cats will run any of the dogs off if need be.

KC

Well, Buzz is back in view! :lol:

He's been pestering me all day and climbing all over my paperwork in the home office. He's been helping me type too :roll:

Bradley has stopped chasing, mainly through being called back to us and then rewarded. He's had one or 2 kisses with Stella-cat, but still growls occasionally.

Thanks for all advice!

JeanKC said:
Do these cats have claws? If so, I suspect eventually they'll straighten the dog out. Either of our cats will run any of the dogs off if need be.

KC

Fluffy now chases Zack more than Zack chases Fluffy--and she is not playing. At least i don't think so. He doesn't chase her at all anymore because he's scared of her. If his ball goes to a place where she is sitting in the way, he will take a very long way around, climbing over all kinds of obstacles rather than go near Fluffy. But they do lay together with me on the chair, and in the morning when we greet or when i come home from work, they willl both get in my lap and Zack will lick Fluffy's ear. It's a little too rough for her to actually like it, but she tolerates it. The other day, she really surprised me by walking underneath Zack's abdomin while i was petting him sitting on the floor, rubbing her back affectionately against his chest. I later realized she was hungry, but still it was cool. But she will readily chase him and swat at him and bite at him if he makes a false move or gets too close while he's being rambunctious, even if it's not directed at her. She has arthritis and stiff legs, it's kind of interesting to watch her hobbling after him, and him completely intimidated. I think she kind of likes him though, in a way.

Animals are so interesting to watch.

Bradley's almost stopped the chasing now :)

Buzz will sit with us all in the living room at night :)

Now if I could stop Buzz and Bradley swearing at each other, we'd be there ;)
Had to clap my hands at Buzz today to stop him hissing :lol:

:D

Success! Just found Bradley sitting on my bed, having a wash - next to him is Stella, our grey tabby! :D

:jump:

It's great when they reach that point especially when you start out thinking there may be serious problems. Hooray for Bradley!

Karlin said:
:jump:

It's great when they reach that point especially when you start out thinking there may be serious problems. Hooray for Bradley!

Bradley is being a little star today :).

I'm delighted, as I had quite a hard time with him this week :|

Sounds like he wore himself out testing you a bit and has decided maybe being good brings more good things... :lol:

I really think they do try when they figure out what the right choices are. This has been so true of Lily -- I quite honestly have never seen a little dog try so, so hard to do what is wanted and try to learn (and even remember) what is right. I could actually see her weighing up chasing tha cats so many times and struggling not to; now the same is true of checking the cat litter box whch she knows is very naughty. Every time she makes the right decision she gets lots of praise, to reinforce that she made the right choice. It all slowly builds. Now she tends to only chase the cats if she is startled by one and they all walk around her now with mostly indifference (they keep one eye on hr though, as they do with all the dogs. They are no fools!).

Hi Misty,

I have a mischievious little boy of my own and had a 7 year old cat when I brought Finn home (he is still here - hasn't moved out yet;-). We have never had a problem having cats and dogs together before, but ofr some reason Finns energy level seemed overwhelming for Sahara (the cat). We didn't see Sahara much for the first couple of months and then more and more. It took them almost a full year to sort things out, but eventually Finn won him over and now they lounge together in the papasan, groom each other and occasionally when Sahara is feeling feisty he will start a wrestling match with Finn (Sahara ALWAYS wins). Sahara eventually found his own little trick to keep Finn under his thumb (he grabs Finns upper lip or ears if Finn oversteps) and now they seem to be okay, but that first year was very disheartening:-( I hope your guys find their balance a little sooner than that:)

Good Luck!

we also have a cat, shy by name and nature. jadan just thinks she is a pup because he has never met a cat. but she has been chased by lots of dogs as we live next to a rec. I let shy have the upstairs of the house and jadan is not allowed up there. shys territory. even now it is out of bounds to jadan. she can retreat to a safe haven if she wants to, (and i have had less accidents from jadan as he is restricted). then i slowly introduced them to each other. when jadan has had a good run and is less active i brought shy down and held her on my lap in the same room. at first i was scratched to bits but she has slowly come around. once she realized that if she was just sat there he wouldnt bother her. she has slowly come to realise she is the boss and that jadan just wants to play. she will tolerate him even if he sniffs at her. but as soon as she goes to run to get away he chases. he is a pupppy after all!! its a big chasing game. shy knows that she can get away and a swift cuft of her paw tells jadan no! he still thinks she is a pup that doesnt want to play. but at least she now sits on the downstairs windowsill and watches him get into mischief with an air of self importance that says" how silly, you wouldnt catch me doing that!!" :lol:

This morning I discovered Bradley fast asleep on our bed, snuggled bottom to bottom with one of the cats. :)

Back