Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cat Problem - Argh

Post Thanks / Like

Success! Just found Bradley sitting on my bed, having a wash - next to him is Stella, our grey tabby!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

It's great when they reach that point especially when you start out thinking there may be serious problems. Hooray for Bradley!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin

It's great when they reach that point especially when you start out thinking there may be serious problems. Hooray for Bradley!
    Bradley is being a little star today .

I'm delighted, as I had quite a hard time with him this week

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sounds like he wore himself out testing you a bit and has decided maybe being good brings more good things...

I really think they do try when they figure out what the right choices are. This has been so true of Lily -- I quite honestly have never seen a little dog try so, so hard to do what is wanted and try to learn (and even remember) what is right. I could actually see her weighing up chasing tha cats so many times and struggling not to; now the same is true of checking the cat litter box whch she knows is very naughty. Every time she makes the right decision she gets lots of praise, to reinforce that she made the right choice. It all slowly builds. Now she tends to only chase the cats if she is startled by one and they all walk around her now with mostly indifference (they keep one eye on hr though, as they do with all the dogs. They are no fools!).
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Misty,

I have a mischievious little boy of my own and had a 7 year old cat when I brought Finn home (he is still here - hasn't moved out yet;-). We have never had a problem having cats and dogs together before, but ofr some reason Finns energy level seemed overwhelming for Sahara (the cat). We didn't see Sahara much for the first couple of months and then more and more. It took them almost a full year to sort things out, but eventually Finn won him over and now they lounge together in the papasan, groom each other and occasionally when Sahara is feeling feisty he will start a wrestling match with Finn (Sahara ALWAYS wins). Sahara eventually found his own little trick to keep Finn under his thumb (he grabs Finns upper lip or ears if Finn oversteps) and now they seem to be okay, but that first year was very disheartening:-( I hope your guys find their balance a little sooner than that

Good Luck!
    Finnegan (Blenheim), Rowan & Robyn

Post Thanks / Like

we also have a cat, shy by name and nature. jadan just thinks she is a pup because he has never met a cat. but she has been chased by lots of dogs as we live next to a rec. I let shy have the upstairs of the house and jadan is not allowed up there. shys territory. even now it is out of bounds to jadan. she can retreat to a safe haven if she wants to, (and i have had less accidents from jadan as he is restricted). then i slowly introduced them to each other. when jadan has had a good run and is less active i brought shy down and held her on my lap in the same room. at first i was scratched to bits but she has slowly come around. once she realized that if she was just sat there he wouldnt bother her. she has slowly come to realise she is the boss and that jadan just wants to play. she will tolerate him even if he sniffs at her. but as soon as she goes to run to get away he chases. he is a pupppy after all!! its a big chasing game. shy knows that she can get away and a swift cuft of her paw tells jadan no! he still thinks she is a pup that doesnt want to play. but at least she now sits on the downstairs windowsill and watches him get into mischief with an air of self importance that says" how silly, you wouldnt catch me doing that!!"

Post Thanks / Like

This morning I discovered Bradley fast asleep on our bed, snuggled bottom to bottom with one of the cats.

Post Thanks / Like

alright Fran!! I am so proud of you and Bradley!!
    Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by misty
    This morning I discovered Bradley fast asleep on our bed, snuggled bottom to bottom with one of the cats.
    That's wonderful! Good boy, Bradley!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Bradley.....what a good boy, think you deserve a treat,,,