Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introducing a new puppy

Post Thanks / Like

Default Introducing a new puppy

Hello friends,
    What is the BEST way to introduce my new puppy to the family?
    At a neutral location? At home?
    Looking forward to hearing your expert opinions on the subject.
    Katydid will be coming home on August 13th, hopefully.

Nancy
    New Jersey

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi Nancy,
    How exciting! Can't wait to see your new pup and hear about her!

We've added a new puppy and a new adult to our household. So I have only had experience with adding a puppy to an existing puppy (very easy to do) and adding an adult to 2 adults. Both times we took our existing dog(s) to the breeder's house and let them run together with the newbie. Then we brought them all home.

They each need individual attention, which is nice during daily brushing and grooming times.

Other things to look out for:

At feeding time, we put the newbie in a crate to avoid any problems.

We only had a shortlived problem with Geordie, if he was getting one on one attention from me and the newbie approached he would try to make the newbie go away by growling or jumping at her (she was an adult, not a puppy). Each time I calmly put him in a nearby crate and then ignored him completely for 5-10 minutes before releasing him. It didn't take very long for him to learn to stop doing that.

When giving treats I make them all sit, and then say "just Chocolate" (treat) "just Geordie" (treat), etc. Same for going in and out of doors. I cannot stand free-for-alls where someone ends up yipping in pain!

When giving bully sticks, Geordie goes in the crate. The girls are fine together, but Geordie and India like to switch bullys a few times and this can result in a serious squabble!

I'm excited for you getting another cav!!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you, Cathy Moon! (i LOVE your name!)
    You have lots of good advice!
    I am getting excited....I am going to start this week, setting up the environment..x-pen with crate. Another crate by my bed---Teddy sleeps on the bed.
    Do you think that is a good idea? I want him to get his scaredy-cat barking over with before the arrival----he is so darn aware of ANY changes in the home environment. I cannot leave my purse in an unusual place or it becomes a scarey intruder!!!
    Nancy
    NJ

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That is absolutely a great idea using the x-pen with a crate inside. That's what we used for each of our pups! Its a good way to manage the environment while they're getting to know each other, plus you'll have all the potty training going on.

And good idea for Teddy to adjust to the new equipment ahead of time. Then the entire transition will be more gradual than sudden. How old is Teddy boy?

My dogs sleep in soft (zipper type) crates in our bedroom. Nothing wrong with that. Teddy will probably sleep better at first if his sleeping arrangement doesn't change, keeping the little 'intruder' out of the big bed!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks, AGAIN, Cathy Moon!
    Teddy is three and a total love-bug but I know a new pup will be an adjustment. Last year I tried to bring in a rescue shih ztu but that lasted one day as the new girl attached herself immediately to me and poor Teddy just wanted to check her out with his tail all wagging and curious and she went into pre-attack mode and I just could not put Teddy in that situation. The rescue was returned with no hard feelings my groomers)and was adopted a week later.
    I also feel that I have more experience having been through puppy-hood with Teddy--I think I am more prepared this time.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If Teddy seems a little depressed and trying to sleep a lot for a few days, don't worry. Mine went through that with our last newbie, Chocolate. I think that is just part of the adjustment process.

I seem to remember giving them all treats more often to try and keep things upbeat, but adjusting their food intake so they wouldn't gain weight.

I'm sure you'll have lots to tell us all when you get your Katydid!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

WOW Its getting close !!! I just brought Colby home to the crew and everyone sniffed him and he was a little scared at first ...so i put him in his crate for a bit and by the time i took him out he was fine !! My chi girls gave him the cold shoulder for a couple of weeks but then everyone was fine!

Post Thanks / Like

Great, Roxanne! I guess the owner needs to be relaxed and act like this is normal and life goes on as usual, only there is another four legged family member here.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Introducing a new puppy

Quote Originally Posted by nlg679
    Hello friends,
    What is the BEST way to introduce my new puppy to the family?
    At a neutral location? At home?
    Looking forward to hearing your expert opinions on the subject.
    Katydid will be coming home on August 13th, hopefully.

Nancy
    New Jersey
    When we first had dogs-- we were so careful- we would introduce the new dog to the older dog in a neutral place. Now we introduce through a gate and hours later let one dog at a time see the new dog and then they are only together under supervision. We haven't had an issue, and I've introduced a dozen rescues over the years. Sandy

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Sandy.
    Teddy has always been quite submissive. But, I guess it is another story when he discovers that the puppy will be a part of the family--not just visiting.