• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Showing? :)

Agata

I see that most of you spend the time with Cavaliers very activly, practising some dog sports :) We made only the Children agility level for puppys and we are thinking about farther "carier" ;)

But I would like to ask, how many of you are showing their dogs? :)

I like shows very much. Blanca was only on the six shows till now and now we are thinking about going to another Europe country for some CACIB show :) And how about other Forum Cavaliers? 8)

Oh, it seems like I'm the only one ;)

This weekend I was on the international show in Sopot with my Blanca :)
She got 2nd place, from six females, loosing only with the Youth Champion of three ciuntries, who came to Sopot from Germany ;)

Here are some photos:
7.jpg

14.jpg

I have a small show/breeding kennel. We have an AKC champion that was finished by us and two pointed females. We have had a lot happen in the last two years, so we show very infrequently.

I'd like to show Merlin, but he always sits down when you go over him - which is no good! He will stand lovely on the table until you try to go over him and then he thinks its playtime.

A bit more practice this year and we might try showing next year!

For all you show folks out there - did you intend to show when you got your Cavy's? I thought they had to be intact to be shown and when we purchase here, you sign a non-breeding contract and have to have your dog spayed/neutered.

How would you know what to look for when choosing your puppy? Are there any sites with this information?

Thanks!

Finns Family said:
For all you show folks out there - did you intend to show when you got your Cavy's? I thought they had to be intact to be shown and when we purchase here, you sign a non-breeding contract and have to have your dog spayed/neutered.

How would you know what to look for when choosing your puppy? Are there any sites with this information?

Thanks!

Our first cavalier was bought as a companion. We stumbled into showing through cavalier fun matches. Then we searched for a breeder who was willing to sell us a dog to show. Because we'd gone to club shows and done months of research, we found a few that were comfortable enough to deal with us. Most first timers have to co-own a non restricted dog. Which is good, because everyone could use a mentor or two.

I spent almost a year waiting for my first show prospect. If the breeder has a very good understanding of their lines and how they develop then they can generally guage a puppy realitively well at a young age. However, being that lines tend to develop differently - this can take some research into the ancestry of the puppy. I still send detailed photos to my mentor and we go over each pup and their strengths and weaknesses at differnt ages.

Wow. It astounds me the amount of knowledge, history, time and good old fashioned common sense that goes into producing the healthiest, handsomest little cavy's possible. Everytime I see a new litter I think, wouldn't it be fabulous to have all those wriggly little babies around the house? They are pretty irresitable. Although it doesn't make it right or safe, you can see sometimes how people fall into to "cute" trap and inadvertently become backyard breeders.

I find it all very interesting and would love to learn more about the whole showing process and more detailed information about what the judging is based on. This is general interest for when we go watch strictly! Any suggestions about where to start reading?

Blanca was bought by us as show perspective and (hope) future breeding female. She wasn't the first female that we showed with. Before we got Blanca we did quit a lot of shows with our Bernese, Aria and with my parents Shnauzer :) It is of course impossible to know for 100% that dog would be beautifull in the future.

Two weekes ago we went to Czech Republic, to Club show in Jesenice (200 Cavaliers and 37 King's). Pam Jarrett and Stephena Randle Goodwin was judging (both from UK). Blanca's breeder could see her (Blanca came to our home from Czech Republic) and we could see all the family of Blanca (her littermate and younger sisters) :)

We won in the open class and got CAC (certificate for Czech Champion) :) :)

Here are some photos :)

Blanca is the first one in this line.
2.jpg

1.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

And Blanca with the prizes :)
5.jpg

Back