• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Should I get this checked out?

arasara

Hi guys!

Ok for a while I have noticed a brown circle around the whites of one side of Kozzy's eyes and I don't know what's causing it. When I took him to get his hernia stitches out, the vet looked down in his eye, and she said it was fine... He doesn't seem to have any problems seeing, I am just worried what causes it and if there are any long term effects and also if I should seek a second opinion. This is what it looks like (his left eye):

I apologize for the size of these pictures, but I am posting them larger for a better clarification..

b46834671.jpg

b46834566.jpg

Any imput would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!! :)

Does that look like pigment, or his inner eye lid?

India has extra pigment around her irises, whereas Geordie does not. It is possible for a cav to have one of each. I think I found something when I was researching; I will try to find it again.

My blenheim has brown around his brown eyes. My vet said there is nothing wrong with his eyes. it looks like the 2nd picture that Cathy posted from the Roycroft website.

Does your Cosmo's look like that posted picture?

If you mean (In the first pic) that he has a white around the brown on his right eye and that it is a darker muddy color around the left--- the left darker color is preferred.

wow, thanks guys.! His eye is not red at all it just has brown around it and looks muddy. From the pictures it definately looks like it's most likely just an extra pigment around the eyes. Not as dark as the cav pictured, but it sure fits the description. I guess what freaked me out is the fact that it wasn't there when he was younger. It also developed after 12 weeks of age, which, according to the website is unusual, but it doesn't say it's impossible... Like I stated before it doesn't seem like he's lost any sight and I have done tests on him (I know mommy is so cruel!) but I just wanted to make sure it couldn't be some hidden condition that I wasn't aware of. I know I should trust the vet more, but I am one of those people that needs a definitive second opinion even on the simplest of things! Thanks again for all of your knowledge! You're all amazing! :)

Large gorgeous dark eyes are a hallmark of the breed. They should have dark brown eyes (iris), muddy whites, dark third eye lids and dark eye rims.

Thanks Sandy! I never understood exactly what was meant by double-pigmented. Lily has that muddiness as well and I didn't know what it was as my other two don't have it to the same extent -- eg didn't know if it was 'right' or 'wrong'.

Perhaps useful to point out that what Laura refers to as the eye ON the right in the dog portrayed, is actually the dog's LEFT eye. So as Sandy notes the dog's LEFT eye, shown on the RIGHT, is the preferred look.

:eek:

Hope that makes sense.

thank you Sandy! That's a big relief and good information to know.

GudrunTheRed,

Thank you! And Chester is beautiful@! If you ever get tired of him, you can farm him to me@! :D

arasara said:
GudrunTheRed,

Thank you! And Chester is beautiful@! If you ever get tired of him, you can farm him to me@! :D

Heehee...I will keep you in mind but you're about 23 in line behind a bunch of other people who want him or have threatened to steal him! ;-)

Back