• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Discipline?

kbhalperin

We adore our cavalier so much. He's 1 year 3 months old. Am having trouble with how to let him know chewing on the corner of our Oriental rugs is forbidden!! I say, "No!"; he runs away with a wag and when I'm not paying attention, he's back with a repeat performance. Would appreciate your help. Thanks!

Correct him when he does it and substitute something he is allowed to chew on and then praise him for chewing on the right thing. I did this with both of mine and never had a problem with them chewing on inappropriate things....excecept my lunch the other day :?

Cathy T said:
excecept my lunch the other day :?

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I would use the Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh command deep and low and then substitute the rug for something else as Cathy has suggested.

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh works a treat for my two and Maxx can hear it - unless he can tell by my face that he's in trouble :lol:

Bailey sometimes just needs a bit of attention and a play - especially if he is running off on you he may just want to play with you. Either offer him something else to chew on like the others say or else play with him and let him see you allowing him to chew on play things!!

It is a learning process and with Bailey that age was the worst for chewing!!

He's just being a "gnaw-ty" dog! Someone on the board told me about bully tails which you can get on Ebay. My Casey, who we affectionately call Jaws, loves them. When he picks something inappropriate to chew, we give him a tail instead and he is happy!

Maxxs_Mummy said:
...I would use the Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh command deep and low and then substitute the rug for something else as Cathy has suggested.

Bahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh works a treat for my two and Maxx can hear it - unless he can tell by my face that he's in trouble :lol:

I use the sound, "nahhaahh," but it's essentially the same thing, i read about it in a book (Puppy Preschool) that said it's like the growl of a mother dog. I didn't really think it was, but i tried it and it's been amazing to me, how effective it's been. i'm sure it sounds overly simplistic. But for some reason, from the beginning, Zack takes that sound really seriously, even though uttered rather softly or briefly, without much ado--in fact, that was the point of the book, that the mother dog doesn't make a big deal out of behaviors, she just has a short to the point reaction that the puppy understands easily. It still perplexes me, the way it works. But using the word "No," has no effect on him. It's like he just doesn't know what it means, and he doesn't respond to it, though he might respond to body language that accompanies it. While "nhaaah" has always penetrated his little brain like a knife through butter. So when he has chewed something and i've said "nhaaah," for some unknown reason, he does not chew that thing again.

but there was one thing i didn't want to take a chance on, it was the new baby gate i put on the kitchen doorway several months ago, it's made of wood, and i found him gnawing on it and it was splintering , and since i couldn't supervise him during the night, i got something called Yuk or Bitter Yuk that is a bad tasting liquid to spray on the item in question, it's made of rosemary, and it worked, he never did it again, but he did try and found he didn't like the taste. The stuff wore off a long time ago.

zack has one behavior now that he persists in doing, even though he stops when i say 'nhaaaah,' sniffing and potentially licking the cat's butt, :yuk: Maybe i should spray Bitter Yuk on her butt?
:yikes

anyway, he's progressed a lot with the cat, he finally stopped harrassing her and lunging at her. but he still likes to put his nose in her butt.

Back