Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Advanced MVD - what have your experiences been?

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you all so much, I've joined up
    Elaine
    Proud Mum to cavalier Lucy

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to see that you have joined, I'm sure you will gets lots of help etc.

Take care,

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Elaine, my heart aches for you and Lucy, is it worth seeing if the vet could come out to you so that if anything ever needs to be done she is in the comfort of your home.

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Elaine:

I lost my wonderful Jonah in Jan. '04, from MVD. He came to me almost two years prior as a rescue/rehomed 7 year old. He was a very large cavalier, and I'm pretty sure the breeder/kennel who originally had him had "dumped" him so to speak after learning of his MVD.

Luckily I had a wonderful vet who worked very diligently with me on his meds and coughing attacks, etc. Jonah was primarily on Enalapril, and he was at grade 3 when he came to live with us.

His last 2 years were spent as comfortably as we could make him. He loved his daily walks, I was heartbroken when I had to scale them down. I figured he'd rather keep his walks (albeit small) vs. sitting on the bed doing nothing when it was his time to go.

Fortunately for him, when his heart gave out he was frolicking in a snow drift and having a fabulous time. It didn't lessen my pain any (or our other dogs) but I knew it was the way he would've wanted to live his life out. We couldn't have loved him more than if he had come to us as a tiny pup vs. adult.

My thoughts are with you - this crappy disease is so heartwretching and terrible. My daughter also has had a major brain surgery for a very rare syndrome, so I figured the good Lord sent Jonah to me for his last months knowing I could handle the ups and downs of medical uncertainties.

Thinking of you....

Sheri