• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Drooling question

CraigNY

Last week Jezabell was drooling for days and days. I took her to the vet, all tests were fine, he thought maybe something stomach related, he gave her some medicine (anazantic - I think, or something like that). After a few days she was back to normal. Its a total mystery, I can only think that maybe she was exposed to something when she was playing on the neigbors lawn, I think it was just sprayed. Has anyone expereinced drooling with their cavaliers? Is Jezabell just being nervous? (she drools when it thunders). Something to be concerned about?

Thanks

If the vet didn't find anything, I wouldn;t worry too much if she's back to normal, but I sure don;t have any idea why she would have been doing this.

Dogs do drool when anxious, as you are seeing when it thunders. By the way the best way to deal with that is not to respond to her by trying to comfort her etc -- which reinforces that she is right to be worried because you are worried too and being worried gets a big response and lots of attention. When it thunders, try turning on a radio or TV to make it less obvious, but also, just go about your business. She will be looking at you to see how she is supposed to respond. If you are calm and nonchalant about thunder, then she gets the message that 'it's no big deal'. Same approach is the right way to deal with fireworks, too.

Shelby still sometimes drool when we go to the dog park. She's not afraid because she prances around visiting everyone. I think it's just a lot of excitement.

Brodie drools when we are somewhere that has lots of different doggy smells. He will get long spit strings hanging from the corners of his mouth and then he shakes his head. Yuck... :yuk: It is definitely excitement in this case and I know when this happens he is getting some really good doggie smells.

Woody drools when there is food around and he isn't getting any - also read the Frontline (flea, etc.) information sheets today and said that if the dog licks it by mistake will provide extra salvia....

Maxx drools if he can smell something nice that we're having for dinner :lol: Charlie drools in panic whenver we go anywhere different. I think that's because we're his 4th home and he thinks he's going to be dumped every time he goes anywhere!

My Lottie is my drooler. She drools when she is anxious and while she is waiting for a morsel that someone is eating! :) Sophie hardly ever drools.
Julie and the girls

Back