Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Geordie's PSOM Update

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Geordie's PSOM Update

Last June when I joined this message board, Geordie was diagnosed with PSOM at Ohio State University. At that time he had a severe hearing deficit (in my opinion). He did not get the BAER hearing test back in June because the veterinary neurologist was leaving OSU and they were looking for a replacement. First we were going to schedule Geordie’s ear surgery in July, but then we decided to wait for the PSOM study to begin and put him in the study. The study was delayed, and is now supposed to start in mid August.

After a discussion with Dr. Cole at OSU in July, we decided to postpone Geordie’s surgery because we’re going on a trip to visit my hubby’s family. Dr. Cole and I agreed that it is better to wait until we return.

I'm glad his surgery has been postponed, because I've noticed Geordie's hearing has improved noticeably over the past week or two. So little is known about PSOM, maybe it gets better by itself. It is thought to be similar to a condition called Glue Ear found in young children. Anyways, we’re going to have his ears scoped again to find out if his eardrums are still bulging. If his hearing is within a normal range, we’ll just have him monitored and not have the surgery.

I did a little research when I noticed Geordie could hear me again. Here is a link to info about Glue Ear in human children:
    http://www.ehealthmd.com/library/glueear/GE_whatis.html

Just wanted to share this in case anyone else has a Cav with hearing issues and suspects it may be PSOM!
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

That's interesting Cathy. Keep us posted....I'm sure we'll all very interested in where this goes.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

That's great news that he's improved. I wonder if it could be affected by the weather or humidity. thanks for the link.

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks for that Cathy. Maxx has got PSOM and is supposedly 75% deaf.

I sometimes think he can hear more than 25% though. He's like an ignorant old man - hears what he wants to hear

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

In case anyone does not know already, there is a discussion about PSOM in Cavaliers on this webpage:
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm

Rod Russell
    Orlando, Florida USA

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That's great news Cathy. Very little seems to be understood about PSOM at this time. Both my dogs have it to some extent but it doesn't seem to affect Jaspar's hearing though it does make him scratch at his ears a bit (he is clear for SM and the malformation and his neurologist guesses it is the PSOM that could be seen on his MRI). Leo on the other hand seems to have problems with directional hearing -- he often cannot seem to figure out where I am if calling him at a distance.

There's an article one can buy quite cheaply linked to here:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/psom.html

Also an article reprinted with permission on one cavalier owner's experience with PSOM.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by RodRussell
    In case anyone does not know already, there is a discussion about PSOM in Cavaliers on this webpage:
    http://www.cavalierhealth.org/psom.htm

Rod Russell
    Orlando, Florida USA
    Thanks for the information - Dr. Hillier is the vet who examined Geordie and found the bulging eardrums using an otoscope. Dr Cole is bringing Geordie into the study later in October. Thanks!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    That's great news Cathy. Very little seems to be understood about PSOM at this time. Both my dogs have it to some extent but it doesn't seem to affect Jaspar's hearing though it does make him scratch at his ears a bit (he is clear for SM and the malformation and his neurologist guesses it is the PSOM that could be seen on his MRI). Leo on the other hand seems to have problems with directional hearing -- he often cannot seem to figure out where I am if calling him at a distance.

There's an article one can buy quite cheaply linked to here:

http://sm.cavaliertalk.com/psom.html

Also an article reprinted with permission on one cavalier owner's experience with PSOM.
    Thanks for the information. One reason (of many) for the study is to learn more about prevalence of PSOM in cavaliers and less expensive / less invasive ways to diagnose and treat it.

Geordie had the same problem as Leo, first he had difficulty and then he could not locate the source of sounds. I think that happens when they can only hear out of one ear. Geordie had reached a point where he could only hear a loud whistle or a very loud high-pitched voice. Now he can hear a normal speaking voice again.
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Maxxs_Mummy
    Thanks for that Cathy. Maxx has got PSOM and is supposedly 75% deaf.

I sometimes think he can hear more than 25% though. He's like an ignorant old man - hears what he wants to hear
    When I my first little old doggie (Maltese mix, age 14, now at the bridge) was losing her hearing, our vet said she had 'senior selective hearing'!
    Cathy Moon

Post Thanks / Like

We thought my Lottie had PSOM but after they x-rayed and could also get a really good look in her ear when she was under anaesthetic they discovered that she actually had a cyst right on the edge of her eardrum which had caused the swelling so the vet had to lance it. He said it was very delicate surgery. Fortunately she has been fine since although he did say he didn't know if it would return.
    Julie and the girls