Last June when I joined this message board, Geordie was diagnosed with PSOM at Ohio State University. At that time he had a severe hearing deficit (in my opinion). He did not get the BAER hearing test back in June because the veterinary neurologist was leaving OSU and they were looking for a replacement. First we were going to schedule Geordie’s ear surgery in July, but then we decided to wait for the PSOM study to begin and put him in the study. The study was delayed, and is now supposed to start in mid August.
After a discussion with Dr. Cole at OSU in July, we decided to postpone Geordie’s surgery because we’re going on a trip to visit my hubby’s family. Dr. Cole and I agreed that it is better to wait until we return.
I'm glad his surgery has been postponed, because I've noticed Geordie's hearing has improved noticeably over the past week or two. So little is known about PSOM, maybe it gets better by itself. It is thought to be similar to a condition called Glue Ear found in young children. Anyways, we’re going to have his ears scoped again to find out if his eardrums are still bulging. If his hearing is within a normal range, we’ll just have him monitored and not have the surgery.
I did a little research when I noticed Geordie could hear me again. Here is a link to info about Glue Ear in human children:
Just wanted to share this in case anyone else has a Cav with hearing issues and suspects it may be PSOM!