Thread: Cavalier from Petfinder

Post Thanks / Like

Default Cavalier from Petfinder

Here is a very sweet looking cavalier in Independence Kansas. It says she is 4 years old and 7 pounds. Can that be right? That seems way too small for a 4 year old.
    http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/...?petid=6777029

Post Thanks / Like

Post Thanks / Like

I'm from Kansas, and I have noticed this rescue frequently has cavaliers listed on petfinder. I emailed the rescue last week inquiring about where the cavs come from, etc, and I did not receive a reply. So I emailed again this morning, informing them that I know the breed, have many contacts interested in rescue cavs, and that I would be willing to promote their listings. I asked for more info about the rescue so I could answer basic questions, etc.

I finally received a reply. Basically, it said that if they needed any help, they'd let me know. That's it; literally just one the sentence to basically tell me to stop writing. <shrugs> I guess she wasnt too in the type of breed connections I was able offer.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

I have a feeling that the "7 lbs" is a typo and she's probably 17 lbs. I can't imagine any Cavalier being only 7 lbs as an adult.
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Cavalier from Petfinder

Quote Originally Posted by melanie
    It says she is 4 years old and 7 pounds. Can that be right? That seems way too small for a 4 year old.
    It would be a rare, small dog, but not out of the realm of possibility, especially for a mill dog. My Willow is over a year old, and she only weighs 9 pounds.
    Cindy
    Cedar (tri), Willow (blen), & Holly (ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

At 7 lbs in weight; she looks tiny, not even like an adult (you'd wonder if the rescue has the age right) -- but she could well be that age and size. Should certainly never have been bred from at that size; that's almost half the breed standard and is a very abnormally small size for a cavalier even taking into account the intent by some to breed small cavaliers. I'd really worry such a dog had genetically worrying reasons for being so small (though may be perfectly fine as an adult cavalier to own; it's the breeding and the fact that no doubt, many of this dog's puppies will also be bred from).

It is hard to tell about some of these rescues, as to their bona fides. I am not commenting on any particular rescue, but I suspect some of them are actually just further outlets for puppy millers to sell on their dogs they can't breed from any longer. They could potentially be making good money at selling them on if a vet was willing to do cheap spays/neuters. I always want to know the rescue I am dealing with, its policies and modus operandi. Unethical breeders (mass breeders and BYBs) have been known to try to dump older dogs as well as puppies using Petfinder and if reported, Petfinder removes them. Anyone would really want to know the suspect signs though and be sure of what they were saying before making complaints of that sort.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com