• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Barking

CosmoKC

We've had Cosmo for 3 weeks now. In that time, he's only barked a couple of times. All of the sudden yesterday, he must have found his voice box. He barked a few times in the afternoon and a bunch of times in the evening. It's kind of a wimpy bark, but it's really cute. Just seemed odd that this quiet little pup suddenly started barking.

It seems to be the same with a new dog in the house or rescue as well....it took my rescues a while before they had the confidence to bark and from no where came the Cavalier howl!! you know the one...head up, chin up and then the woo woo wooo bark!

Whitney waited her time as well...and then one evening it came!! she was as pleased as punch! ... I think she actually shocked herself LOL.

Perhaps it has something to do with confidence and feeling safe in any new surroundings???

They don't often bark anyway .... perhaps just a mumble when a noise passes the garden when they are out there.

I love that Cavalier howl! there is no other like it!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

The woo woo bark is the perfect way to explain it. I don't think that I was ever so happy to hear a dog bark.

My JoJo is 7 months old and his bark is so cute... it sounds like a teenagers changing voice :lol: It is not quite deep but kind of weak sounding. Hard to explain but it is so cute!!!

Paddy doesn't bark at all.

She does make some angry sounds when playing and fighting with our cat.

My other dog Leto(Golden), hardly ever barks . Only when he is excited outside, he would bark once or twice.

I think it's convenient when they don't actually bark... do you think I should be worried about it?

Cavaliers aren't a very barky breed generally and I have known people who say their cavalier has never barked at all, so it isn't unusual I think.

Jaspar didn't bark for ages and then had those cute puppy barks for a long time. Now he is a barker if he sees things -- like cats on the roof. :roll: Leo rarely barks unless he is excited and waiting for a ball to be thrown. Lily tends to march around barking at new dogs (a bit annoying but she is getting better) but once she is used to them she stops. She also barks when excited.

Personally I prefer as little barking as possible! ;)

:oops: I thought dogs were supposed to bark! . When I got Rudee she was eight weeks old and didn't utter a sound. I taught her how to bark so that she could let me know when she needed to go out/ come in etc.
How else would you know when they need to go outside?

I love when Rudee sits at the top of the stairs and something or someone catches her eye :c*t: . She starts off with a low rumble "grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr" followed by the Woo Woo Woo Woo Woof Woof! I love it ! cl*p Is that sad or what!

LMAO Claire,

I can just picture little Rudee sat having a woo woo woof at nothing at all!!!!

I am extremely glad to say that Maxx rarely barks at all and Charlie is getting better. He knows now that when I say 'quiet' I mean 'quiet or you'll be brought in from the garden!' :lol:

We have a mega problem here with a neighbours barking dog. It drives us all nuts & whenever anyone goes into their garden it just barks and barks :roll:

Loads of us have phoned the council, the RSPCA and the dogs trust and no one can do anything about it :x GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR

Saying that, the wooo woo woof that ourlittle darlings say when they see something they're not sure of is so comical! Maxx says it whilst jumping backwards :lol:

Abbey's becoming more of a barker, mainly at the TV. :roll: Any animal or animal sound will get her going, or anything that looks "different", but besides the TV, she's pretty quiet. :) Her bark makes us laugh, though, it sounds just like she's saying "red rum!" "red rum!" It's so funny! :lol:

I'm in a 3 bed semi d so Phoebe's lack of barking is a gift. She looks out the front window all the time and when she sees someone approaching the house she wags her tail with excitement...that would also include a potential robber approaching :p
however she will bark when demanding food when I am eating so this is habit I'm trying to get her out of.
Brid.

Brid,

Maxx rarely begs for food but occasionally if he thinks he's being ignored at mealtimes (he usually lays on the floor in between me and my youngest) we'll get a really loud bark. Just to let us know he's there and he might like some too :lol:

Bradley's hilarious :lol:

He's like a big overgrown puppy, because he's never seen anything before.

He launches into little growls, then bigger growls and big barks. The funniest (and saddest) was when he saw a bird in flight for the first time.

We stayed at ex-hubby's place on Friday night. He's got a cuckoo clock (biggg mistake ;) ), which Bradley was not happy about at all.

Ex lives in a council place where he's not allowed to keep a dog, so Bradley barking and growling at 11.00 pm was not a good idea. In the end the clock was taken off the wall, so everyone could get some peace, but it was funny.

Cailean launches into growls and woo woo woo's at unfamiliar things too.

He also barks in impatience if he thinks he's not being fed!

Oh Fran,

Doesn't it just break your heart? I remember going through all that with Holly. I remember the first time she saw a cat. She just didn't have a clue and first of all froze on the spot but then went absolutely ballistic barking and running round and round in circles :(

These ******** puppy farmers should all be flaming well hanged :x

It's funny, once Riley found his "voice" at about 3 months old he's been using it ever since! :lol: I taught him to "speak" and then I immediately had to teach him "quiet" so we could work on the barking. He's better now at 8 months and responds to the "quiet" command much better.
And wow does he have a very loud piercing voice! Goodness gracious you definitely hear it when Riley barks, my silly little guy. I've never heard the woo woo bark or the howling, we'll see if he begins either of those. :)

Back