• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pigment in the Eyes

Linda

Hi Everybody, been away for a week and I got a bit of a scare.
I had'nt really noticed this before, but while on holiday my youngest boy came running to me with Darby crying that something was wrong with his eyes. I pulled the lid back on his eyes and above the pupil on his eye he has some pigment, I spoke with a friend at our campground she advised not to worry I also called my Vet 1st thing this morning and they also said that it is not a problem.

Anyone else's Cavs have this, he has had his eyes checked 3 times during checkups and the Vet did not say anything.

I was just a bit worried and my motherly instincts were to worry. :cry*ing: :cry*ing:

I also asked if this would affect his eye sight and they advised it would not
but I also need to hear it from my back up team you guys. :xfngr:

Anybody know why this happens ??????

GudrunTheRed said:
Linda,
I'm not quite sure what you mean by "pigment". Cavaliers have dark eyes but they are brown nd outside of the black iris you should see varying colors of brown. In fact, there was another thread about this very subject and you should check it out: http://cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2868.

Monica

I tried taking a picture of his eye, he was squirmy but if you look below you will see it is not the same as what is on Laura's website.
Kind of looks like another line around the white of the eye.

IMG_2439.jpg

This was posted from Laura Lang, phew do I feel better now.

Yes, that pigment is not only normal, but strongly wanted for show dogs. We want those whites pigmented, not white!

That looks like his third eyelid to me. Look at him as he's falling asleep and you'll see his eyes roll back and the third eyelid (which has that brown border on it) will come up a bit to cover the white of the eye. On this page there's a drawing (not so good but it shows the 3rd eyelid in the corner) http://www.upei.ca/cidd/Diseases/ocular disorders/nict mbr abn.htm and it says the following:
"The third eyelid is a triangular shaped structure in the inner corners of your dog's eyes that you may notice sometimes partly covers the eye. It consists of a t-shaped cartilage to provide support, and a tear gland. The third eyelid is important in protection of the surface of the eye, and in tear production. It is also called the nictitating membrane (or membrana nictitans) and haw."

Chester has the same exact thing and it's nothing to worry about. I'm really irritated and surprised at your vet that he didn't explain the third eyelid to you...shame on him. Next time you see him make him explain it all to you.

Monica

Thank you for your post also, I have copied both your post and Laura's and emailed my breeder.

I am also annoyed that my Vet would not inform me, but of course I did
not speak directly with the Vet but the receptionist.

Although I am a bit confused now, as Laura is stating that this pigment is strongly wanted in show dogs and the website you posted states you should not breed dogs with this condition. I understand that not all show dogs are bred. Just a bit confused.

Might really be time for me to consider changing Vets, as I do drive extremely far to this Vet.

Linda said:
Monica

Thank you for your post also, I have copied both your post and Laura's and emailed my breeder.

I am also annoyed that my Vet would not inform me, but of course I did
not speak directly with the Vet but the receptionist.

Although I am a bit confused now, as Laura is stating that this pigment is strongly wanted in show dogs and the website you posted states you should not breed dogs with this condition. I understand that not all show dogs are bred. Just a bit confused.

Might really be time for me to consider changing Vets, as I do drive extremely far to this Vet.

The color in the third eyelid isn't a problem (it helps create a nice dark eye)-- they don't want you to breed dogs with abnormal third eyelids. Sandy

Linda said:
Oops, I didn't actually read the website, I just forwarded it for the drawing of the eye. Sorry to confuse you...I didn't mean to!

It sounds like Darby is just fine and I would take a deep breath and not worry. Here's a picture of Chester's peeper so you can see that it's the same as Darby's:

20060808-thirdeyelid.jpg

LOL..you can see that a I had to trap him between my knees to get him to stay still!

Sandy

Does it look like a third eyelid to you too or pigment in the white as Laura stated maybe I can try and get another picture of it.

GudrunTheRed said:
Linda said:
Oops, I didn't actually read the website, I just forwarded it for the drawing of the eye. Sorry to confuse you...I didn't mean to!

It sounds like Darby is just fine and I would take a deep breath and not worry. Here's a picture of Chester's peeper so you can see that it's the same as Darby's:

20060808-thirdeyelid.jpg

LOL..you can see that a I had to trap him between my knees to get him to stay still!

This is a really good pic of a third eyelid.

And here I'll pick on my own dog-lol

http://www.woodhavencavaliers.com/Katrina.html

In Katrina's pic-- she has DARK eye color (iris)both eyes, she has dark eye rims- both eyes, her right eye has dark chocolate color third eyelid - but she has no muddy white (her white is very clean)-- Her left eye has muddy color white BUT a light third eyelid.

Is Darby's just thicker because he is younger and as he grows the third eyelid will thin out as in both Chester and Katrina's picture.

Dudley does not have this at all. ?????
Just curious, also did you notice when they were younger they tended to
squint a little. ????
Kind of looks like sometimes he is falling asleep.

Linda, normally you cannot see a third eye lid unless you tease the eye about to see it.

It comes across the eye to protect it after an injury or if irritated by something. It'a a natural protective machanism.

As long as there is no discharge, especially coloured or smelly which usually means infection, and he is not bothered by it then just keep a casual watch on it for a few days. :flwr:

The pictures look like 3rd eye lids.

Alison, Wilts, U.k.

Linda, normally you cannot see a third eye lid unless you tease the eye about to see it.

It comes across the eye to protect it after an injury or if irritated by something. It'a a natural protective machanism.

As long as there is no discharge, especially coloured or smelly which usually means infection, and he is not bothered by it then just keep a casual watch on it for a few days.

The pictures look like 3rd eye lids.

Allison

I cannot see it unless I tease the eyelid up, he has no discharge at all from the eye. I really was just concerned something was wrong, and I feel much better knowing what I learned from this post.

Thanks Everybody. :thnx:

Back