• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Housebreaking Appears to be Working

CosmoKC

I think Cosmo may have finally got it. We've been crate training him, and when he's not in his crate, anytime that he even remotely looks like he has to go we rush him outside. Well last night, I guess that we weren't paying attention, when Cosmo was over at the door scratching on it to go out. I opened the door, he went out, did his thing and came right back inside. :D :D

Good job, Cos!! Excellent!

Now you just need to find a way to keep him from scratching the door. Willow scratches at doors and we now have permanent "signatures" that will probably outlast her!

Since Cosmo is already scratching at the door you should try hanging a bell from the doorknob and train him to ring it instead of scratching. I did this with Chester when he was a pup and now at 2 years he's a bell-ringing genius! I have one on the front door and the sliding glass door and he uses them every time.

Does the bell leave scratch marks? After two years, I would think it rubs on the door at least enough to mar the finish. Do you have some setup that prevents this from happening?

Scratch marks - I have no wallpaper left by the front door - the back door is UPVC which I can hear them letting me go know they wanna go out.....

Moviedust said:
Does the bell leave scratch marks? After two years, I would think it rubs on the door at least enough to mar the finish. Do you have some setup that prevents this from happening?
So far there aren't any marks on the door paint from it. The bell is a light-weight round Christmas jingle bell I got from the craft store and I have it hanging from a piece of ribbon from the knob. It's light-weight but loud enough that I can hear it when I'm upstairs.

Well done kosmo, and parents! it's a really gratifying feeling. Your little boy is growing up. sigh. :flwr:

Thanks. It really is a gratifying feeling. I'm very happy with the progress he's making, and I hope that he keeps it up.

yayyyyyyyyyyyyyyy well done Cosmo :flwr: .

Our doors have got scratch marks on them too :roll: Especially the patio door and the outside of my bedroom door :roll:

The bell idea is a really neat one :D

Back