Thread: slip sliding away!

Post Thanks / Like

Default slip sliding away!

My little girl is finding it very difficult to walk on the kitchen floor (linoleum)
    and the front porch. She keeps skidding and although I have mats scattered I think she might benefit from some Paw -Wear
    I was wondering if anyone knows where I might find some light boots for her in Dublin that don't require a term loan from the bank to purchase them. Unfortunately, all the American sites don't accept credit cards from Ireland . Can anyone advise please?
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs
    then rescued by CaraMia and Minnie Moo.
    Missing all my girls every day....

Post Thanks / Like

How about just some Paw wax from the pet shop? I know if I put boot son either of mine, they'd be off in a jiffy

The wax protects their pads and stops them slipping. Also, make sure that the hair between her pads is really short or this will cause her to slip too

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi, I don't know if you can find this in your area, but I use it on Geordie for agility:
    http://www.showdogstore.com/index.as...ROD&ProdID=106

I trim the hair on the bottom of his feet before spraying it on.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Do you trim the hair out from between her pads and the hair that hangs down from the sides? This generally should be kept trimmed so that they don't slide around (also reduces the amount of dirt tracked into the house). You can buy small rounded-tip scissors for doing this, at pet shops. Or groomers will do it. I'd guess there's almost certainly overgrown hair causing the slipperiness as I have wood floors and tile in my house and the dogs only start slipping when this hair gets too long.

Boots would not be recommended to have on a dog all the time indoors. First off most dogs detest having something encasing their feet so that would be the first challenge.

This Irish company makes them --

http://www.dogbootsactive.com/

but as you can see they are all for special circumstances and short term wear -- hot pavement, snow, or a disability or wound. The wax sounds like it might be a good option but if the paw hair is long I'd think the feet would get very gunky and dirty, so maybe be sure the hair is all trimmed and if that isn't the issue, then try the wax?

Cathy I've never seen that before! I'd guess they'd sell it at the dog shows here or groomers could order something similar?
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

I also use paw wax on all my woofs to prevent slipping on wood floors etc, perhaps that might do the trick, it isn't expensive and found in most good pet stores, if you can't find it and want some I can send you some over, just ask ok!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Slidin' Away

Thanks everybody for the wonderful advice. Donna! I've just ordered Paw Wax from the UK - thankyou!
    As Rudee was only groomed a couple of weeks ago, the hair between her pads etc is very short. I think the problem lies in the fact that she was attacked by an Alsatian when she was younger and as a result of this she is no longer able to lift up her glorious tail and her hind legs are quite rigid . Don't worry! she's been a frequent visitor to the vet for regular check ups. There is no expense spared on this little lady but I do feel that the reason she slips now is just part of old age creeping up on her and a culmination of her injuries from the aforementioned attack. I will try the Paw Wax and let you know how it goes... Once again; Thanks for all the advice and support
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That sounds like a good reason for sliding, for thing! Let us know how the paw wax works... I bet Gus could use some of that going by his videos!!
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Karlin
    Cathy I've never seen that before! I'd guess they'd sell it at the dog shows here or groomers could order something similar?
    Karlin, I bought it at a dog show. I saw dog handlers using it at an indoor dog show. It is not quite as sticky as paw wax. I started out using paw wax, but it was causing the other dogs in our agility class to stop and sniff. The spray doesn't have that effect.
    Cathy Moon
    India(tri-F) Geordie(blen-M)Chocolate(b&t-F)Charlie(at the bridge)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Slip Slidin' Away

Claire, I'm glad the link worked Poor Rudee being attacked I hope the GSD owner was suitably punished for not controlling their dog properly.

Claire, how could anyone doublt that Rudee is well looked after? Look at her! She's a gorgeous old lady and looks so yummy and cuddly too. Do you think she'd be looking so good if she wasn't? Nah, this is one furbaby we don't need to worry about being looked after!!!!!

Post Thanks / Like

Default Slip Slidin' Away

Thanks for your kind words Donna. Unfortunately, when the incident occured the woman in charge (supposedly) of the offending hound just walked away and left me standing holding a screaming injured dog. Luckily; I was driving by that time and was able to carry Rudee back to the car and rush to the Vet. I shudder to think what might have happened if I had had to walk home with her . The one good thing that has come out of all this , is I have taught Rudee to understand the word "DANGER"
    She knows that when I say that word she has to stay by my side. All in all ,she is a very clever little girl and I am extremely proud of her . We were on the beach this morning and met two Cavs and their Mom . I told her about all you wonderful folks so , no doubt she'll be registering later on so watch out for her. Her name is also Claire.
    Claire
    Once owned by Rudeepoohs