• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

noroclav

tanztanya

Hiya, i took cookie to the vets yesterday as she was scratching her ear too much and wouldnt let me near it, anyways turns out that she had a grass seed in her ear, right in her eardrum. She had to be put under local anaesthetic and i went to pick her up last night - didnt want to leave her at the vets. Anyways, she has been given the antibiotics Noroclav. Does anyone know what the sideeffects are? Cookie has been very quiet and not herself. i cant even hear her snore!!! Even the day after she was spayed she was not this quiet. I'm a bit worried about her

Poor baby! I would talk to her vet to find out if this is expected behavior. Is there a vet on call in the off hours?

These grass seeds are really something! Is that from her rolling in the grass?

I would say her behaviour is the leftover result of the general anaesthetic (I think you mean general rather than local?). This would be very typical, and it takes around 24 hours for the effects to clear the system. She is probably still very groggy and sleepy (I don't know if you've ever had surgery before where you've had a general, but when I did, I was very sleepy and groggy for about the next 36 hours). If she is still a bit off in the next day I'd call and talk to the vets.

Noroclav is a combination of amoxicillin and clavulanate. Zack had it for his skin infection, it was called Clavamox. It's also called Augmentin. Zack didn't have any apparent side effects from it. It's prescribed for abcesses among various other things. I think it would be extremely unlikely that her quietness would be from the antibiotic. Some people get gastrointestinal side effects from amoxicillan. Rarely people have allergic reactions to it. I tihnk it's what karlin said, she had general anaesthesia and is wiped out by that. that would be expected. Maybe they used a stronger drug than for the neutering, maybe she had to be under for longer, need for stronger pain management. poor cookie and you--you're going through a lot. Hopefully she'll get better fast now.

Ozzy was sleepy after he had his grass seed moved - as Karlin said it will take about 24 hours to get out of the system - smell her breath it will be a funny medical smell.....

Poor ((((((((Cookie)))))))) those darned grass seeds get everywhere :( I'm sure it is just the anaesthetic Tanya. Maxx is always groggy for a couple of days after having one.

Get well soon Cookie, you darling girl xxxxx

Thank you all for your wishes. Cookie has been feeling a little better today. She's been behaving a little out of character though. She's very grouchy and very starey. (Since we've got her she doesn't like to look at you for too long because of what she went through at her previous home, but now she will look at you for about ten minutes without blinking like she's in a daze!) We are taking her back to te vet on Saturday.

It may be the food cutdown thats made her funny too. The vet said to give her half of what we are feeding her at the moment-which is just too little for her. She weighs 12kg so she'd on a diet of no biscuits which is difficult for everyone. We are feeding her butchers choice and instead of having two small packets a day we have to give her ONE a day-half in morning then half in afternoon!! i personally think thats too little

Believe me they will survive very well with cutting WAAAY back -- and being overweight is a very ssrious health risk in cavaliers as their heart must work so much harder, and they already have valves likely to give out early because of MVD. There's a finite life in a heart valve, so if it works harder, it fails when the cavalier is younger. :( So stick with the vet's directions. :) I have had a grossly overweight small cavalier that came in at 8 kg at start of June and she is now down to 6.6kg. She only gets about a fourth to a third of a cup of food daily, supplemented with veggies. Only veggie treats with rare exceptions.

In the Caring for your Cavalier section of the Library

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewforum.php?f=9

there are hints for good low cal treats and check the articles on obesity and cavaliers:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=465

Many cavaliers may initially not eat veggies but if you introduce them mixed well into their food and as treats you'd be surprised what interests them. These are MUCH better for them than commercial dog biscuits which are only empty calories and mostly grain/filler; very little to nothing that is healthy in them. If you must give them, get the smallest ones possible from a pet shop not the supermarket (the latter tend to carry only larger sizes) and break them in half and only give a single treat a day -- maybe half in the morning and half before bedtime.

Veg is a great treat as they cannot really digest it for the calories and they are low in calories anyway -- but they provide great chewing satisfaction and make them feel fuller (note: a cavalier RARELY is full and will overeat itself to gross obesity. They are well known as one of a handful of breeds with serious obesity problems and thus should never be free-fed, for example). Mine particularly love slices of carrots, frozen green beans (while frozen! A nice cold treat), broccoli stem slices, green pepper slices, banana, chopped cooked broccoli or mixed veg (great for a healthy 'filler' when you are feeding small amounts of kibble or whatever). Those mini carrots are loved by many dogs.

You can dip the veg pieces in a bit of beef broth or chicken broth to get the dog started on them if she's really not interested initially.

I also supplement with fruits and veggies in an effort to keep the pups weight in check. They could have cared less for this in the beginning...now broccoli is a major treat. They both wait anxiously for their morning breakfast of broccoli, a baby carrot and a bite of apple.

The main treat i give Zack is Merricks Lamb Fillet Squares. They're made out of lamb lung, that's the only ingredient, they're apparently tasty, they smell good, they are flat pieces of cooked cracker with waffle-like cooking marks on them. They are 76% crude protein, 10% crude fat, and 2% crude fiber.

they come in different sized irregularly shaped pieces, on average maybe three inches square. I break them into very small pieces, an inch squre would be a big piece. Mostly i make them about a half to a quarter inch square, and i give him the small piece as a reward for obeying, or like when i was brushing out his matted hair behind his ears, i occasionally gave him a little piece. So in the course of a day, he doesn't get very much, if any, but psychologically he enjoys getting the treat and the flavor of it.

What ever kind of dog treat i get, i always break it into small pieces.

yeah, i know its for the best for her. We are sticking to it so far. What would Cookie's ideal weight be? if she's 12kg now, shes 5 and in circumference she's 26" and 16" length ways from neck to where her tail starts. What would she need to go down to? she's quite a long cavalier anyways.

Back