• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Assistance with a messy walker

berkgid

Hi,

As I am new to the world of cavs and dogs (yes this is my first dog) I have a strange question. My cav is 8 months old, and I have been teaching him to walk on a leash. No easy feat since he is 8 months old and has never been on a leash.

He is doing great, very little pulling. The problem I am having is that he keeps urinating on himself when he goes to the bath room. Is this normal? Can I teach him to stop? He is scheduled to be neutered next week, will this stop then? I don't want to have to keep washing him.

Thanks.

he pees on himself? Consider yourself lucky, Kosmo peed on ME today!!! :yikes :yikes :yikes

We were out walking and he did his normal potty dance for at least a minute and when he finally decided to take a squat, yep, it was right above my foot!! Thank God it was his second wee of the walk and it was only a few drops. I couldn't help but to laugh at him, and my smelly sock. :roll:

Sometimes he pees on his front legs when he squats down but I expect if he ever learns to lift his leg he'll pee on himself a lot more until he gets it down. I've known a few dogs who go through the "peeing on themselves" phase as they're learning "the tricks of the trade."

I am sure others on this board will be able to answer you better though!! Take care and have fun!! And just be thankful it's himself and not your foot! :lol:

When you say he pees on himself, do you mean when he squats or lifts his leg, he gets his front leg feathering or belly feathering? This is pretty common with boys. It generally gets better as they get bigger and aren;t peeing so close to their body parts (relatively speaking). Pups are only just learning to lift their leg as well and are not very coordinated (think of little boys getting potty trained -- their aim doesn't tend to be great either... :roll: ).

That said often it is up to the individual dog. Jaspar never, ever pees on himself and is very meticulous. leo used to be fairly bad about stepping in his own poops and weeing on his feathering. He still gets his belly hair and front feathers regularly. I take them swimming to keep this washed away or you can just lightly hose off the front legs or whatever. You don't need to do a whole bath this way. Some people use those diaper wipes (eg wet ones).

I have 2/3 boys who are feather-wetters...we just wipe them down with a dampened baby wipe, then do an "underneath" wash about evey 7 to 10 days...unless they've been in the sea or in the wet long grass, which does the job nicely for us!!

It's one of the joys of owning a boy!!!

Some of them do grown out of it, Rupert did...so fingers crossed.

If tehy are still entire, the wee can be rather smelly - cider vinegar is great for reducing the smell. I put about a tsp in a pint of water, every day for a month then just 2 -3 times per week.

LOL welcome to the world of owning a lovely little boy :lol:

Maxx rarely wees on himself but has weed up mine and Geraint's (my youngest) legs more than once when he's gotten excited about seeing a doggy friend :roll:

Charlie wees all over his belly and right up to his chest and front paws :roll: I'm forever dumping him in an inch of waster in the bath and washing his underneath down hahahaha

I remember watching a programme on tv last year and the people on there owned Cocker Spaniels. They were showing one of them and off they went with this beautifully bathed and groomed dog. She took him out of the crate at the other end and he squatted down to wee and promptly soaked himself :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My three all seem to wee over each other - Ozzy will go Busta will stick his head there, and vice versa....... and Busta's under carriage gets wee on also... :lol:

My boy is a year and a half but when he was 8 months he was mostly lifting his leg to pee and would get it on his belly fluff ... we trimmed it back and have kept it that way and since doing that he's not "wetting himself" anymore .... try that and see what happens .... can also trim back the leg feathering a little if he's catching his leg.

Since having a coupler, I find that nosey little Darby is always wantin
to know what Dudley is doing. Poor wee soul can't even take a wee in peace who ends up with the wee on his head. ?????????????

You got it DARBY :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p:

Nope, don't think he ever will.

He is extremely extremely nosey you know.
Always gotta be in Dudley's face.

Here is me thinking this lead is perfect, they got me lifting my legs too now.

:sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :sl*p: :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes :yikes

Can you picture that me walking down the road. :rotfl: :rotfl:

Gotta Love Them.

Merlin is the same - My mum always laughs at him becuause he lifts his leg so high he almost falls over trying to balance his whole body on the one back leg - he always dribbles down his featherings unless its one of those "I hope you realise I've waited allnight for this" wees - they seem to direct themselves away!!!

I must try to get a picture of him just before he puts his leg down for you to see.

Back