• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Lost Cavalier in San Diego

Cathy T

I received this e-mail this morning and wanted to post here and on Karlin's board:

We are sending an URGENT plea for assistance in locating Bassy, my brother-in-law Steve's, 2 year old, female, Blenheim Cavalier.

Steve has been traveling the West/Southwest this summer on an extended trip. Unfortunately, he has bipolar disorder and recently went off his meds. While visiting San Diego yesterday, Wednesday, August 9, 2006, he left Bassy in his parked rental car while he took a short walk along the harbor area downtown - by the Tall ship. He became disoriented and forgot where he parked the car. He spent several hours searching - including canvassing the area by cab to no avail. It's possible the car was towed. He believes he left the windows up in the car with Bassy inside.

Steve recognized the fact that he was not thinking clearly and needed help, so he flew home to Chicago last night. We are now trying to locate Bassy from Chicago. We have contacted the San Diego Humane Society, and searched the San Diego County shelter web sites with no luck. We also contacted the San Diego police but were informed that they cannot help without a license plate number (the rental paperwork was in the car).

Up until recently, Steve has always done an excellent job of caring for Bassy and he truly loves her. Bassy also spends a lot of time with our family and we are very attached to her too. If you have any suggestions that would help us locate Bassy, we would greatly appreciate your assistance.

This is the most recent info:

My brother-in-law is a little clearer now after some sleep and with some detective work we were able to find out the following details:

License Plate: 222NXL 1995 Blue Ford Taurus with AZ license plates

Rental Agency: Rent-A-Wreck - Benson, AZ

According to the San Diego police and harbor police, they have no record of the car being towed or impounded.

San Diego Animal Services sent an e-mail late this afternoon to all officers to be on the look-out for the car. They also do not have a record of any calls for dogs locked in cars or dogs admitted to the shelter matching Bassy's description.

We still do not know whether the car was stolen or if Steve simply was confused and could not find where he parked the vehicle.

My husband and I have been taking care of Steve regarding his mental illness challenges for years. I assure everyone, that this episode is out of character for Steve. He normally is very responsible and loves Bassy deeply. This is a result of his going off his medications and becoming unstable.

My husband and I would NEVER leave a dog unattended in a car. We have our own beloved one year old Cavalier named Becky who is like one of our own children. As Bassy spent much of her first year of life in our home, in many ways she is our dog too. When she is located, my husband will fly to San Diego to bring her home and she will stay with us - not Steve - until we can determine whether or not he is capable of caring for her. If not, she will continue to have a loving, forever home with us.

I will be checking our shelters. Should anyone hear of anything would you please let me know.

How Horrible, for everyone~ Ill be saying a special prayer that she finds her way home..... :(

Is there any way you all in the area could scout for the car? I know its alot to ask...but how sad for pup....really this is just horrible.

Oh my gosh...what a sad sad story. I hope Bassy is found safe and sound and returned to her family.

Maxwell&me said:
How Horrible, for everyone~ Ill be saying a special prayer that she finds her way home..... :(

Is there any way you all in the area could scout for the car? I know its alot to ask...but how sad for pup....really this is just horrible.

The S D police have an alert out for the car. The current thinking is that the car has been towed. I've posted this out to everyone I know so hopefully she will be found. Luckily San Diego is in reality a pretty small town and if she shows up we'll know. I'm checking shelters.

This is very upsetting to read. I am imagining that Steve got lost and could not find the car, could not remember correctly what it looked like, and that poor Bassy was/is locked in the car for a long time--i gather it's been about two days now. My daughter and BF live in San Diego, i will forward this to them and ask them to be on the look out. They have a precious blenheim cavalier girl a little over 1 year old, Belle.

I trust the police and animal safety people have some timely way of contacting all the towing businesses--those businesses have to be licensed, i hope it's not too hard to track them all. Generally it's the police who request towing of an abandoned car. I don't think tow services can just tow any car that's parked on the street. And i don't think police can just request a car be towed without keeping some record of the license plates, in case a car is later reported stolen.

this is so upsetting. I'm so sorry for all the people involved too. How frustrating it must be to try to deal with it all the way from Chicago.

That's awful! It was bloody hot yesterday in SD, too! :( If he left her in the car for more than 30 minutes she probably would have been toast...

Very sad. I hope that someone found her and let her out and she's OK. I'll keep an eye out.

Poor {{{{{{{{Bassy}}}}}}}} hope she's found safe and well. Could the person who emailed you, let the SD newspapers know and ask them to run a feature on Bassy and her Dad?

Might be an idea to get more coverage and hopefully get her home again :flwr:

I can't stop thinking about Bassy. :cry*ing: thnking of her all day. I was talking to my daughter about it and she said they don't have any police in San Diego. She was exaggerating but she said police were quitting their jobs because they weren't paid enough. She said there are ads on TV where the police are coming out against the mayor for not funding the police.

i was wondering why it was so hard to track down this car if it was still on the street or if it was towed.

good idea Donna, about a news article, and also putting it on the local news on TV at 6pm.

I've been thinking about her too Judy. What if she's still in this car somewhere :yikes I just hope she has a Guardian angel looking out for her. I hope they put it in the local press and on the local news and that people are looking out for the car and Bassy :(

Hate to be blunt about this ...but, if she were left in a car she would not have survived by now. I'm hoping someone saw her in the car and took her. That would be best for her. I heard this morning that our local news is going to do a spot about it. I hope it helps. The whole thing is just odd if you ask me. I'm curious about a lot of the details. I just find it interesting that they know the license plate of the car and where it was rented from. Where is it now??!! Was it returned to the car rental place...by who....was it ticketed? Surely there is a record of this somewhere!! I'll keep you all posted but will be surprised if we hear the actual outcome of this sad story. I am going to put in my head that someone found Bassy and she is safe now. Perhaps publicizing on the news will bring forward some information. And least give us a resolution to this story!

Hate to be blunt about this ...but, if she were left in a car she would not have survived by now.

Thats what my husband said last night...and to be honest Ive had this gal in my thoughts all day....I just really feel terrible for all involved~ If you get an update even if its bad news let us know....just so very sad :(

I heard this morning that our local news is going to do a spot on this story. Let's hope for some resolution. I'll definitely let you all know if I hear anything.

It does seem strange if the car were parked in an area where people were walking around that someone wouldn't have seen the dog, alive or dead, and called police/SPCA. It sounds from the story that the car would have been parked somewhere central.

It is a sad story all around and very disturbing.

i got a weird vibe about the story too, like you might get from an urban legend. i hope that's what it is, like the bonsai kittens (i fell for that one) but i'm afraid this one is real.

When i was reading the first post, i was thinking about how it was strange that they said they didn't have the identification of the car because the paper work was inside the car--i was thinking that if a credit card was used, and car rentals require a credit card, then it's easy enough to find out who the car was rented from and what the license number is, shouldn't be difficult, assuming Robert still had his credit card on him. this was a gap in the story that seemed weird to me.

And then for the car to disappear--until my daughter said the police were understaffed, i didn't have any explanation for why this would be such a low priority that they hadn't tracked down the car.

i guess that the best thing would be if the car was stolen and the person who stole it loves dogs...the idea of her dying alone is heartbreaking.

Not a good ending to the story. It was just posted on the other board that the car was found last night and Brassy did not survive. So sad.

OMG!! How horrible. How could the someone have not seen that pup in the car. I can imagine the family is devastated. I am just hearing about it. A very sad story.

Back