• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Hi

Nic

Hi, i have just joined the site and can't wait for you all to give me some advise on my Cavalier. His name is Tyler and he loves making himself heard.

Hi Nic

A big welcome to you, hope you get as much fun as knowledge from this board that we all do. :D :D :D :D :D :D :D :w**h**:

Would love to see some pictures of your wee boy Tyler.
How old is he. ????????????? :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Tyler

Hi

He's 11 months old, and he's a great dog, apart from the fact he has found his voice box and does nothing but bark continuiously. In fact i really could do with some help of how to tame him alittle. I will post a pciture up as soon as i can.

Thanks

Welcome to the board!

Here's training advice on barking from US trainer Dee Ganley:

BARKING

Each and every time your dog barks, get up, go out, and see why the dog is barking.
If your dog is barking for a good reason (such as a stranger in the yard), you should
praise your dog and then tell it to be quiet. If the stranger is coming to see you I would
give the visitor a treat to give your dog this will prevent your dog from becoming overly
protective. If the dog is barking because there is a squirrel up the tree, or something
similar, tell the dog to be quiet and immediately go back into the house. Bring the dog
with you and make him lie down next to you for 5 minutes. You will have to repeat this
every time the dog barks. Pretty soon, in a week or so depending on the dog, the dog will
only bark for a good reason.

You must reinforce not barking. If you have seen the dog choose not to bark, go play
with him. Jack pot quiet behavior with something he likes. The dog may still bark at the
squirrel, but not continually. Instead, one or two good barks to scare the squirrel, and then
it considers its duty done. At the same time, you have not dampened your dog’s ability to
bark when there is something wrong. Take a neighbor's complaint seriously, even if it is
unwarranted. More neighbor disputes arise over barking dogs than anything else. Dogs
have been injured or killed by neighbors desperate for a good night’s sleep. There is some
evidence that barking is an inherited trait: if the parents bark a lot, chances are their
puppies will too. Also, certain breeds love to bark!

One method that helps alleviate barking is to give your dog permission to bark.
Teach him to "speak" -- let him "speak" when appropriate (say, when you're playing in
the park). Then "quiet". You can put a bit of peanut butter into the dog's mouth and he
will have to stop barking to lick the peanut butter off the roof of his mouth.

Also, have you done some rewards-based (eg positive trianing) obedience classes with your dog? Training helps dogs bond more strongly with owners, learn to relax more in busy, distracting, social environments, and learn self control that carries over into 'real life'. Some dogs bark because they are bored -- does he have lots of things to do to stay busy? Is he barking when you are there or when you are away or both? As Dee Ganley notes, you need to figure out when and why the dog is barking and know what is permissible and what is not and then train the dog to understand barking self-control in the right context. :)

Hi

He doesn't bark when were not in, at people or at night. He tends to do it whilst were eating or watching TV. He stops when we play with him but he wants to play all night long. He doesn't seem to like to play for a while he wants to do it all the time, but with two animals i have to share my time with them all.

Back