Thread: Newbie doing all her research beforehand

Hybrid View

Post Thanks / Like

Default Newbie doing all her research beforehand

Hi all!!!

As my title shows I am not yet owned by Cavalier, but am very interested in the prospect I met my first Cavalier a couple of years ago and fell in love with it's sweet personality.

My husband and I are currently owned by three whippets. They are a definite hoot and wonderful dogs but I've had my heart set on a lap dog someday. (Our whippets are definite cuddle bugs, just a tad to big for the lap though )

I know it might be a bit before we're ready to introduce another pup into the family so I'm doing my research to make sure that when we do we choose the right one

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and

Yes Cavaliers are the most wonderful breed but they do have their health problems.

Look into all the health problems that can arise, this is a very good site for Cavalier Health,

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/

Read it with a fine toothcomb, really understand what you could be taking on.

Always ask the breeder for up to date heart/eye certificates and try very hard to find a breeder that uses MRI scanned clear dogs/bitches or at the very least a clear scanned stud dog, this is for SM which is very widespread in the breed, the health site I gave you will inform you clearly about this. Information is wide spread about this condition, please, please search it out and read about it.

Good luck as you start the learning curve!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

I second everything Alison has said and when you find a breeder make sure you are comfortable with each other

Seven years after my getting my first Cavalier I still have 2 hour phone calls with his breeder! She is my first port of call for any advice i want

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

and lots of us here will be happy to answer any questions you might have! Whippets are a very nice breed too.

I've written up an intro on cavaliers, pros and cons, with some links here -- that might be helpful to you to:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2304
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Hi and welcome. Good for you on doing your research first. These guys can come with issues but they are truly wonderful little dogs. Little??!! Jake is 21 lbs and Shelby is 19 lbs. Guess they're little compared to Gretta the Saint Bernard
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah