• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Newbie doing all her research beforehand

Lucee

Hi all!!!

As my title shows I am not yet owned by Cavalier, but am very interested in the prospect :D I met my first Cavalier a couple of years ago and fell in love with it's sweet personality.

My husband and I are currently owned by three whippets. They are a definite hoot and wonderful dogs but I've had my heart set on a lap dog someday. (Our whippets are definite cuddle bugs, just a tad to big for the lap though ;) )

I know it might be a bit before we're ready to introduce another pup into the family so I'm doing my research to make sure that when we do we choose the right one :D

Hi and icon_welcome :flwr:

Yes Cavaliers are the most wonderful breed but they do have their health problems.

Look into all the health problems that can arise, this is a very good site for Cavalier Health,

http://www.cavalierhealth.org/

Read it with a fine toothcomb, really understand what you could be taking on.

Always ask the breeder for up to date heart/eye certificates and try very hard to find a breeder that uses MRI scanned clear dogs/bitches or at the very least a clear scanned stud dog, this is for SM which is very widespread in the breed, the health site I gave you will inform you clearly about this. Information is wide spread about this condition, please, please search it out and read about it.

Good luck as you start the learning curve!

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

I second everything Alison has said and when you find a breeder make sure you are comfortable with each other :)

Seven years after my getting my first Cavalier I still have 2 hour phone calls with his breeder! She is my first port of call for any advice i want :D

Hi and welcome. Good for you on doing your research first. These guys can come with issues but they are truly wonderful little dogs. Little??!! Jake is 21 lbs and Shelby is 19 lbs. Guess they're little compared to Gretta the Saint Bernard :lol:

Back