• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Back to Normal

sannie

Today was the first day I could actually post here after a horrible weekend last weekend. Max my 1 year old tri was out for a walk with my partner Jess last weekend and on his way home he called into his parents for a chat, they live nearby.

Max was in the garden while Jess had a cup of tea and a chat with his mam & dad. Noticing Max was very quite he went to investigate and found him chewing away quite happily on one of those plastic 'ant traps' (the poison's inside), He had made quite a dent in it and there wasn't much left. Anyway, brought him home, informed me and I immediately rang the Emergency Vet Hospital who told me to bring him in straight away with whatever remained of the ant trap - luckily they hadn't thrown it away and we collected it on the way. Now, Max was fine the whole time, no sign of any poisioning at all, but still I thought we'd never get there.

The place was very busy but the decision to admit Max overnight was made within minutes of our arrival. He was so scared, he hates vets and being examined or anything, he was trembling..they took him away to put him on a drip so fluids could flush anything out of him and that was it, we had to leave him there for 24 hours. I was SO scared, he's never more than 25 feet away from me and even when I'm at work, there's always someone in our house, it's so rare for him to be alone, NEVER MIND for him to be away from home.

That whole Sunday night was awful, I couldn't do enough to keep me occupied. But the hospital was great, I rang every 2 hours for updates and they didn't mind me doing that and they kept me very informed.
Max still wasn't showing signs of any toxidity but was very quite which wasn't unusual in the circumstances as he was in a very strange place.

Anyway, we picked him up at noon the following day, poor thing, he looked miserable but very soon perked up when we got outside and he leaped into the car....!! He went crazy when we got home.

And he was and is fine....!!! But it's taken me until today to speak about it, I was watching him all the week for any abnormal behaviour although the vet said it was unlikely to affect him after 24 hours. Tonight was the first time I was in work all week and he was so miserable, he just knew I had to go.
But at least thank goodness I know he'll be there in the morning when I get in...

X
Sannie..

P.s. I had to take him to our own vet following his discharge from the hospital and he told me that while ant baits can be dangerous to dogs Slug baits are much more lethal!
Have a great day..

Oh Sannie. I am so glad everything turned out OK for Max. That must have been so scary. They are just like kids...into everything.

Oh no...how scary. You did the right thing...quick acting and keeping the bait. So glad everything is okay. Would have scared me to death!

I was told by poison control that those little plastic ant trap things are really not all that dangerous for dogs. I was told that it would take poison from several hundred traps to actually make a 30 pound dog sick.

I'm glad it all worked out okay, and the dog didnt have a bad reaction!

Many years back, I had a Vizsla that kept finding my ant traps & chewing them. Everytime I thought I had found all the traps and gotten rid of them, he seemed to find another one. He never got sick, thank goodness. But I didn't use the ant traps after that.

Glad to hear that all's well that ends well. I would have reacted the same way.
Julie and the girls

Back