• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Strange Phenomenon

Moviedust

Do you remember the pics in the general gallery that I posted with the steps my dad made for Willow because she wouldnt jump up on the sofa by herself?

We had the steps for less than a week. Took her a day to figure them out. We left the steps in place all day long, so she got use to going up and down independently. Low and behold, less than a week after getting the steps, she starts jumping up!!

We tried all sorts of things to get her to jump up on the sofas, and nothing worked. Not even awesome (read unhealthy) snack foods. Then yesterday we noticed she wasnt even using the stairs to get up; just a jump. In fact, b/c her knees are better than Cedar's, she jumps up much more easily than Cedar does!

So I'm trying to figure out what about the steps was important for her learning process. I think it must be something to do with the independence--not having us there everytime she went up on the sofa. What do you think??

P.S.--the steps are now in the bedroom, so no more fears of the two of them jumping off the extra high bed!! They can use the steps.

:) I find that Barney would not jump in the car or out the car and also not on the sofa but sunderly he started to jump in the car and on the sofa but for a while he would not jump out of the car then I think he knew he could gey out his self :lol: Aileen

:) I find that Barney would not jump in the car or out the car and also not on the sofa but sunderly he started to jump in the car and on the sofa but for a while he would not jump out of the car then I think he knew he could gey out his self :lol: Aileen

This is just a guess, but maybe she has been getting all the right kinds of exercise and has now developed all the muscle strength needed for jumping. She must feel great now that she can do what Cedar does!! :D

I think it maybe about being independent as well. when our dog was quite old and having a very hard time walking, and going up the 4 steps to get back in the house from going outside to pee. i bought lumber and spent all day making a handicap style ramp for her to use with only a very narrow space on the side for the human feet to use. I showed her how to use them. the poor girl was so crippled up yet she would not use the steps, would rather squeeze her tubby body through the narrow spot I left. think it may have made her feel to old and she was too proud for the ramp I think a few days later she went to the bridge. a real sweetheart that one.

I guess once they know they can do it and feel confident, they'll try the next step ( or in this case the "jump"!)

Well done Willow ..

i think your theory makes sense. she got to experience getting herself up and down and got comfortable with it , and eventually jumping all the way up became just like a big step, same idea as the little steps but just bigger.
and cathy's idea makes a lot of sense too, that she built up strength. way to go willow. :flwr:

I agree it's likely a mix of things. Puppy farm rescues typically have very weak muscles as they hardly use them when stuck in cages. :( But fortunately even when they have some bad degeneration of limbs because of this they recover very well once they have a *real* life.

Also with such a small dog it is likely a confidence element too. Getting up and down may have seemed daunting and also you were there to help when she baulked at getting up and down herself. Once she realised how easy it was to go up and down, and realised it isn;t that high, she was probably emboldened to try the direct route. :lol:

BTW using steps is often better than jumping anyway especially as dogs get older. Many will keep trying to jump and this can be hard on limbs and the spine. I need to get a steps for Lily I think -- she is really so mall and still a bit fat so that jumping even onto a low sofa takes her a few minutes of preparation.

Karlin said:
I need to get a steps for Lily I think -- she is really so mall and still a bit fat so that jumping even onto a low sofa takes her a few minutes of preparation.
:rotfl: I can visualize that!

I'd been wanting steps even before Willow arrived. I want them for the bedroom. Cedar jumped off the bed once :shock: and while she was perfectly fine, it is WAY too high to jump off. So now that the steps arent as necessary in the living room, they are in the bedroom. The girls let themselves down in the mornings rather than standing on top of me while I try to get up in order to set them on the floor. :lol:

We couldn't be w/out our bed steps - I really push for all our dogs to use the steps when jumping on/off the bed. Unfortunately, my daughter's little Lhasa likes to "fly" off most of the furniture - but my two cav girls are really good about using the stairs (well, Sophie is too pudgy to jump).

Sheri

I love our doggie steps. Not only has it helped LilyBelle get up and down the bed and sofa, she took to them almost immediately. She also knows if the steps aren't there, she's not to get up. (if we are eating/mealtime, etc.) So, they have been a great training aide as well! Also inexpensive.

Back