• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bowing front legs?

RockNRollCav

Hi all,

I'm just wondering if it is normal that Corgan's front legs bow sometimes. Sometimes it's just when he's standing still, others are when he starts to turn himself but forgets to pick up a front leg! :lol:

Is this normal puppy behaviour (he's 5 months) or should we be concerned? It doesn't hurt him when it happens.

Thanks!

Have you had a vet check his patellas? It may be just the awkward stance of a puppy but a vet should always be keeping an eye on knees and hips in this breed, knees (patellas) in particular. Most vets can tell pretty easily if the knee isn't working properly. Bowed legs are definitely a possible sign of luxating patellas so be sure to have this checked. What you are seeing as 'bowing' may not actually be that of course -- people can have such different perceptions -- but if you have any concerns it should be checked. :)

There's more info on patellas here:

http://www.cavaliertalk.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=3386

Hopefully this isn't the issue but if it is the breeder needs to be told as the parents shouldn't be bred if they are producing luxating patellas. Let us know what a vet says. (y)

Thanks, Karlin! We have a vet appt tomorrow, so we'll be sure to ask. What I am calling "bowing" is that his elbows face outward instead of backward in his front legs.

Puppies often look kind of awkward so I wouldn't even try to make a guess! But as you have an appt that's a perfect time to raise the issue. Some vets don't routinely check patellas so it's a good idea to ask that s/he do this, or doublecheck again, since it is a bigger problem in small breeds and a known health issue to watch for with cavaliers. It can emerge over time, too, as puppies, but often the knees tighten up by the time they reach 18 months.

Back