• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eye Stains

QCS

What the heck can get the stain out of the hair caused from tearing eyes? My vet just said to wipe them clean daily. I do, but that isn't removing the stain already there. Are there drops of any sort that help with the eye tearing, or is it just a breed characteristic?

i'm looking for a good answer to this myself... I bought something called "show eyes" and they come in pads and liquid but i use the pads.. can't really determine if they work to well but i just keep using them to use them up

Thanks so much - the threads really helped. I may take LilyBelle to the vet - just to double check no problems. I'll also try the Renu solution to cleanse. :)

I use 'Diamond Eye's' for Cookie and it clears them up really well. We bought it from her groomers

QCS said:
What the heck can get the stain out of the hair caused from tearing eyes? My vet just said to wipe them clean daily. I do, but that isn't removing the stain already there. Are there drops of any sort that help with the eye tearing, or is it just a breed characteristic?

Here is the simple solution my mother used with her apricot poodle who had this eye tearing, staining problem. Every day or every other day she just moistened a cotton ball with warmish water, and wiped briefly. No Stain Build Up. No problem. She found that the wiping pads she bought were not as practical. And it's much cheaper! And Petie found the warm water washing with the cottonball very soothing to his eyes.

i have my daughter's cavalier belle staying with me for three days. Her tears are extreme and there's a reddish stain on the bridge of her nose. She rubs her face on the furniture sometimes. My heart goes out to her. I just want to do something. Lisa has had her to the vet and i think they checked the tear ducts during spaying. One vet said her tear ducts never formed but another vet said this was not the case. Right now, she is supposed to be washed with Tear Clear Stain Remover Pads three times per day, it contains water, cetrimonium chloride, sodium chloride and propylene glycol. It says on the jar that it's nonirritating. When i rub the stained areas, there is a slight sudsing. As for being nonirritating, every time, she acts like it's uncomfortable, she rubs her face and acts like a dog right after a bath. Under and around her eyes it is so wet. Today, instead of using the pads, i gave her probiotic powder mixed with water by syringe in the mouth twice and i washed the stained fur with the same thing. I think it seemed to help. There are still wet stains but for a little while it seemed to dry a bit, and all day, the red stain between her eyes has not returned as red as it was yesterday.

I read the other threads. I wonder if the antibiotic ointment should be tried. I have some here from Zack's corneal ulcer episode, but i wouldn't do it it withouta vet agreeing. I will get some of the Allergan Refresh drops tomorrow. I think i already have Refresh gel from when Zack's tears were damaged by the drug Sulfasalazine. I just find it so hard to accept that a condition so severe has no solution. Often, Belle seems to squint a little with her eyes. I'm worried about it. She's only 14 months. How long can whatever is causing this condition go on without doing permanent harm?

the story of India gives hope. Also witch hazel sounds like a good idea. Maybe the probiotics are helping too.

I have used 'Kleen Face' from Dog's Stuff, it's a natural eye stain's cleaner, quite neutral and don't cause soreness in eyes.

Back