• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

diet needed!!! or just a lot of exercise

Kingofthehouse86

Well not to give my whole vacation away, but Friday morning we went to a pet warehouse called "Care-a-lot" we went browsing as usual, every1 goes browsing in a new area :lol: , so anyway we found a scale there...wanted to see how much King weighs...so we put him on it 20.6lbs!!!! I was like "Oh my god you, lil piggy!!!" He had gain 2.6lbs since March, and here i kept telling every1 that my lil baby is only 18lbs...when actually I've been lieing bye a good 2.5lbs...so after seeing that he was 2.5lbs over then wat i thought we were doin a lot of walking, running, and jumping... I'll make a post bout the entire vacation, but I thought I'd share bout King's weight gain

I do not know much about King. How old is he? Does he still have a noticeable waist line? Can you feel his hind rib? What and how much do you feed him daily? Does he get treats? How often and for doing what?

I think it is important to keep Cavaliers slim, due to the affect that excess weight can have on the heart. If he is getting a good brand of food, then feeding less of it usually is advisable, and if you give treats as rewards, then use the same food and reduce the amount you give at mealtime accordingly. Exercise is important, of course, but if he is getting daily walks or other daily exercise, then perhaps reducing the quantity of food will do the trick.

Just because the breed standard states that 18 lbs. is the maximum desired weight does not mean that everyone's male should be no heavier than that. We have three males which weigh over 18 lbs., but they are slim boys who are not overfed and who get exercise.

Rod Russell
Orlando, Florida USA

Shhhhh...you have just revealed my secret to having stayed the same weight for the past 10 yrs:-S. If you don't ever see the new number it doesn't count you know...lol. My sympathies to King and his "diet" but cheers to healthy, svelte Cavy's:-D.

Also keep in mind different scales can give different weights, and also if he moves at all while weighing that could give a different weight! I'd try weighting him at your vets just to be sure -- they usually are fine about just having you stop in to weigh a dog (I do this all the time at mine! The scales is in the waiting area so it is easy to pup the dog on).

Weight can sure sneak on though -- especially if the treats go up but the meal amounts remain the same.

Karlin, I'll go check his weight at the vet when I get back...he still does have a lil waist line...but I do spoil him with treats..but I wont stress bout his weight unless my vet says anything bout it....but also I'm supposed to b leavin Tues which i today but we decided to stay an extra day...Hooray!!!! more playtime for King...l8r every1

As Kenny would say from SouthPark - I am not fat I am big boned... Woody looks bigger than then other two but I can still feel his ribs - he just seems to have fluffy fur still.

Ok Claire a few things 1) Its Cartman not Kenny :lol: 2) King just gained a few pounds but he still has a figure so I'm not worried but I will check wit my vet soon

Back