• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

3 DAYS AND STILL NOT EATING !!!!!!!!!!!

Linda said:
Glad Zack is loving the EVO, which one are you giving him. I checked with the PetStore where I get mine and they have the beef one here in Canada now. Only draw back is that it is a 13 lb bag (I think that is what they said) The one I buy now is only 8 lbs, I asked if they had samples but unfortunately they don't. So once again it will be trial and error, I will wait until next week and most likely go get a bag.

i went through that same thing, and hated to get such a big bag.

Just curious to know if Zack has tried it yet. ?????????????

no, not yet because belle was here from Thursday til today, and Evo was new to her, and since they each were interested in each others' food, i mixed her kibble wiht his kibble and they ate the mixture, and with this being a change from his routine, i wanted to wait until things are back to normal in a couple of days before starting the new food. I am pretty confident he'll like it, but it remains to be seen.

Isn't it a great feeling Judy, when you put his food down he does not fuss and he eats it. It is hard for people to understand who don't have fussy eaters..

yes. it's kind of exhilarating. like, he's the new zack. It's all simple, i give food, he eats food, life is good. But unexpectedly, this new resolution and new way of life has brought new confusion and questions to my mind. Like, when he completely cleans his bowl and then goes back sniffing it to see if there's any more, i start thinking "Am i feeding him enough? I've been leaving it up to his hunger. Now he is still acting hungry. should he be getting more food? He certainly is on the thin side. He hasn't increased in weight in at least 3 months, he's almost 11 months now. Is he finished growing, or is his growth stunted by me not giving him enough quantity of food?

So those are the new set of questions that have been raised by the new zack. :?

My other problem was, I was also feeding him Chicken Necks and he would hold out for those forever, I have not given him one in a longtime now. I am also a bit worried to give it to him after being so sick, just want to wait a bit more.

I can see how chicken necks could distract such a smart and determined boy from more pedestrian kinds of food, a boy with discriminating tastes.
How is his eating now? Does he eat kibble every day?

I am so happy for you that Zack is eating properly. :D :D :D :D :D :D

thanks--it's really quite something. He clicked into a mode of valuing the food he was given, without comparing it to other foods he may have liked better. when belle was here, her parents told me that "she won't eat." They gave me a baggie with kibble in , only because i had asked. They had expected me to feed her the same thing i'm feeding zac, and if it was something other than Evo, something with 25% protein, then i wouldn't think twice about it, but i didn't feel right about just giving her Evo without any transition. So, i mixed the two foods together and gave them two bowls, and the way these guys went about dealing with their meals was, first, Belle woud not be interested in the food. Then zack would come and take a mouthful over to the carpet and lay down and eat it. Belle would go and look at him, then walk back to the bowl and sniff, then look up at me as if to say "I want something else." She would stare at me, meanwhile, Zack kept working at the first of the two bowls, one mouthfull after the other. Finally belle would go to the bowl , waiting for zack to move his head out of the way, and she would take a bite and carry it over to the carpet and lay down and eat it. And from that point on, they were so cute, they would take turns, first zack would have his head in the bowl, then belle, the would each patiently politely wait for the other to move, and then they methodically cleaned the first bowl empty and then moved over to the second bowl, doing the same taking turns at the bowl, getting a mouthful, moving away from the bowl, replaced by the other dog taking their turn. They were so sweet with each other, no competition or growling about who's turn it was, no trying to push anyone out of the way. Belle was here for several meals from Thursday to Sunday and this was the routine they worked out between them at meal times. Whatever they didn't finish, i threw away, but most times they cleaned the two bowls by joint action, first one bowl , then the other.
:d*g: :d*g:

Jen114 said:
I am very hapy to say that Kayla has eaten 2 meals a day this weekendonly dried i am very very pleased

Fingers crosseD!!!

:wggle: you're finding the groove. great work and hurray for kayla for accepting the inevitable. smart girl. stay strong!

Thank you very very much for all your support and help!!!

The only thing i am worried about now is i found my husband giving kayla treats last night..... he said that he can't help but give her

The thing is when she does a wee wee out side she does this like dance in the kitchen because she is used to getting her treat for being a good girl and she jumps around and does back flips for her bikkie ..

and she always got one before she went to sleep and now when i was not giving her she go in to one big strop!!!!

Do you think by giving her 3 bikkies a day that we are going to ruin what we just accomplished?

i would LOVE to see those back flips. do you have a video camera, or a cell phone with video?

i dont' think there's a one size fits all for how a dog is going to eat, and maybe you can give a couple of treats and it won't interfere. in zack's case, the problem was more with the bully sticks, things he could chew on for long periods. the main negative i think of with treats is the risk of weight gain as the dog gets older, but if the treats are low cal low fat, then that' s not a problem.

Uh Oh another MAN that gives treats when he's told not to!!!! I very often hear my hubby saying 'Don't tell Mummy' and I then get two excited boys racing past me dribbling from trying to hide their treats :roll: .

Why do these men do it? Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.

On the other hand, I am also guilty of lying on the floor and hand feeding - especially when they are poorly or new to the house. I think in the short term it does no harm & if I hadn't done it with Charlie, I don't think he'd be eating yet.

I usually sit on the floor with the dish on my lap and then get them to come nearer and nearer to the dish, eventually leaving it right by them - they almost always end up taking what's on offer!

Maxx will also take food nicely off a fork but Charlie will try and swallow it :lol:

Back