• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

3 DAYS AND STILL NOT EATING !!!!!!!!!!!

Jen114

I am using Karlins advice and only feeding dry food putting it down and taking it up after 15mins and putting it down again later

She is still walking up to the bowl and then sticking up her nose and walking off........................ I feel sooooo MEAN and BAD and UPSET...

What is she doesn't eat? she is looking GAUNT and SKINNY

ABBY is Weighing more than Kayla now and she is only 16 weeks only :( :( :( :( :( :(

I feel sad!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Please Kayla EAT

Is she having any treats? How about playing with her ie sit, down, catch and using the biscuits that she is supposed to be eating....

she was having treats yesterday and the day before for sit/ stay/ go to bed etc........ and today i said i will not give her any...

But mY MOM is training Abby and Kayla is there all day and when Abby does a trick KAyla thinks she desevers a treat too or when Abby goes wee wee out side then Kayla thinks she deserves a treat (like she taught her or somethign)

i don't know if you've tried this, but in Zack's case, although he wasn't stubborn like kayla, refusing to eat for days, he was not enthusiatic about kibble i gave him, and i left the bowl down, didn't take it away, so each day, he would eventually eat all or most of what was in the bowl, but just for what it's worth, there has been a huge difference with Innova Evo kibble, apparently because of the high protein content and maybe because it's grain-free. From the beginning of the first time when i gave him pure Evo, not mixed with the other kibble, he acted actually like he liked it. Now, he finishes everything in the bowl as soon as i put it in, and i don't have to take the bowl away because it's empty. this is really different than how he was before.

like claire said, is she getting any treats, or edible chew toys? i had to stop giving zack any edible chew toys like bully sticks or nylabones because he used them as food rather than eating kibble.

i sympathize with you. even though you are not a bad mean mommy, i can understand how you end up feeling that way. poor you. i hope you outlast her in this test of wills and she comes to accept and even like kibble. i believe it can happen. i don't envy you though. kayla is a determined young lady.

Are you using the biscuits you want her to eat - how about putting a few outside the bowl and seeing if she then eats from the bowl.

I don't know if you're open to this but I found it very effective to mask the tastes of Kosmo's kibble with something more appealing to him. For instance if we had ground beef or chicken I would cut it into small pieces and mix it in with the kibble so that he didn't have any choice than to eat the kibble of he wanted the meat (and what dog doesn't?) Even small things like green peppers mixed with kibble has helped us. Good luck!! (y)

I remember you saying in previous posts that you don't have many brands of dog food to choose from in Malta. I'm wondering if there is a high quality canned dog food you could feed her, perhaps mixed into her kibble?

you could aways play games with the kibble and make her work for it by throwing it around the kitchen like I did. It takes ages but at least you get something down her.....

well the situation is this..

i have fed her.. Royal Canine/ Nutro/ science plan/ eukenuba/ pro plan/ ceasers/ pedigree/

All the above including other soft food alone/ or soft food with the kibble

-I have also
- put the food on the floor
- boil fresh chicken with veg and mince it with my blender and mask the food.......... when doing this she licked the chicken off
- ground beef
- rabbit
- gravey

PLEASE HELP WHAT ELSE CAN I DO

Oh yes i have played the games too but when i do she thinks a game of soccer/football is more fun than eating it......

She has eaten in the past as otherwise she would not be here but now she is refusing :( :( :( :( :( :(

OH YES

ALMOST FORGOT

the last time i went to the vet she i told her of the situation and she gave me 5 cans of this food which is for extremely fussy dogs and she said she will Definitely love this and she will Definitely eat it

opened it made the funny nosies as usual to get her licking her lips yummy mmmmmm mmmm this is gooood yummm yuuummmmm her lips were getting licked

i put the food down she looks at it and up her nose goes and she walked away

I have also got on all fours pretending i was eating the food

God you've tried everything. You have one stubborn little girl there and she is basically holding out on you - she wants something better and she know you will eventually give it out of desperation. Daisy Boo was exactly the same and would go a couple of days without a meal.

Our solution to this was no treats until after dinner. Hold out on the treats altogether - not even a nibble. Twenty four hours with nothing will soon change her tune.

As Karlin says she is not going to deliberately starve herself and if she is hungry she will eat. If she sees you are not coming across with the treats, she will give in and eat.

She reminds me so much of Daisy Boo - she would break your heart trying to get her to eat. She still relapses now and again but she will eat a whole bowl of kibble for me now and I never thought I would see that.

Best of luck,
Joanna

Stick to your plan and she will eat soon. I know it's very hard but she will not starve herself or harm herself.

Is she drinking her water?

GudrunTheRed said:
Stick to your plan and she will eat soon. I know it's very hard but she will not starve herself or harm herself.

i think that havng confidence in this belief, and absolutely no treats, is what conveyed to zack that there was no other choice but his kibble. being casual about whether he ate it or not, no begging him to eat it, no trying to convince him it was good, no acting as if it was any of my business if he ate it or not, it was up to him, and i didn't care, acting that way and truly knowing he would be ok if he chose not to eat as long as not eating wasn't caused by an illness which i knew it wasn't, as long as i knew it was a psychological matter we were dealing with, then my part was finished after i provided the food. as far as mixing things with the kibble went, he absolutely licked them off and left what he didnt' want.

For zack, and your dog may be different but zack convinced me beyond doubt, that if i wanted him to eat his kibble, he could not have any treats, zero treats, for the psychological part of it, because having even one treat caused him to think there were alternatives to the kibble. For him to arrive at the place psychologically where he knew there was nothing for hm to eat but kibble, there had to be nothing edible provided to hiim but his kibble. so for treats, he was giving his toys, non-edible chew toys like ropes. He would act absolutely not interested in the kibble and would play with the toys, and didn't seem to be hungry, and that was ok. that was his business. but after a long day, late in the day, he would go to his bowl and eat all or most of his kibble. i left it down all day and he finally ate it.

i have containers and bags of dog treats up on the refrigerator and in a cabinet that i had to put away in order for him to accept eating dog food/kibble, and i haven't reintroduced them, i have booda bones, nylabone and compressed hooves still in their rapper, never touched by dog. i have been tempted to give them to him, but then i ask myself, what for? He loves his regular toys, he is overjoyed by them, he keeps himself busy with many things. I wonder if he would continue to eat his kibble if i gave him those treats now.

it's fun to give treats so i'm giving up that pleasure, but it's not that big of a deal. the only thing is, zack is very 'busy' when i'm home, and he comes up for attention because he wants to play and this play, fetch and tug o war, gives him important healthy exercise and social interaction after being alone for some hours, but many times, i'm just needing to relax and do something relaxing or enjoyable that doesn't involve him, but he makes me laugh too much the way he asks for attention, it's too cute, and i usually play with him, even if i'm half doing that and half doing something else. But it has occurred to me that like giving a baby a pacifier, or setting a little kid down in front of a TV is a way of an adult getting some free time and space, and i could give him a treat and he'd chew on it, like bully stick or booda bone, for hours, and i would be free. but then he'll probably stop eating his regular food again. i never could bring myself to use the TV to keep my daughter busy either, something about seeing her staring at it really bothered me. with dog chew treats, it's kind of similar except that i see him as doing something that interferes with his nutrition. also, i know it's good for him to have the social interaction since he's alone much of the day.

I had problems getting Jake to eat as a baby. Drove myself crazy worrying about him. I took him to the vet and everything checked out fine. So....I knew there was so physical reason for it. From board advice...I started putting his food down for 15 minutes, he didn't eat it, it got picked up, no treats, nothing but dinnertime. I think what relieved me was being told that dogs WILL NOT starve themselves. Tht was my biggest fear. Would he not eat and get so weak he would die!! Well, being told they won't starve themselves eased my mind. I stuck to my guns. I knew he was getting a quality food and would eat it if I gave him a piece here and there. After a solid two days ( 6 times!) of putting food down and picking it up....he finally ate it. And that was the end of our problems. From then on if he didn't eat I picked it up and fed it to him for his next meal.

Never had that problem with piglet Shelby Sue :yikes

I have been down that road many many times with Dudley or shall I call him Mr. Manipulator.

Don't let her away with it, take the advice given here put it down for no longer than 20 minutes and then pick it up and nothing absolutely nothing but water until the next day.

I have had Dudley hold out on me for almost 4 days, I know how you feel because I am once again going through this myself.

Dudley was sick a few weeks back, I was giving him Boiiled Chicken & Rice he devoured it. Now I have slowly introduced the kibble back into his diet and we are now only at all kibble. Guess who is not eating it, Oh well he will and he has lost weight from being sick.

She is manipulating you and will continue to do so if you let her. My main problem before was my Darling Hubby who was sneaking Dudley treats, he now will not give Dudley anything unless he has checked with me first to see if he has eaten his dinner and I have to approve the treats. :D :D :D :D :D

Your not alone, I hope that helps you to find a bit of comfort. I understand how worried you are because I WAS the same way.

A main part of the advice was not to give any treats. (y) And to make sure she cannot get food from any other source.

Hi Jen...just checking in - how Kayla doing? Is she caving? Do you still have any hair left or have you pulled it all out :roll:

Fingers crossed for you!

Robyn & Finn (well, from me anyways...Finn may be a little biased toward Kaylas side at the moment!)

Just be firm and consistent with her in that she gets no treats and you put the food down for 15 minutes and then take it away. She's not hurting herself, as long as she's drinking water, she's only trying to manipulate the situation. Hang in there, she'll eventually get that she's not in charge! ;)

Hello there, first of all i would like to thank you all so very much for the support you have given me over this hard time. We are still in the very begginging but we think she is starting to cave.

Yesterday at around 4pm she at 1/3cup of her dried food which was a relief but since then she still has not eaten anything. I really hope that it continues to work it is so so hard!

Thank you again any more advice will be great and i look forward to your messages i will be sure to update you later today

:*bay:

Back