Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I've lost my soulmate

Post Thanks / Like

I'm so sorry for your loss...

It could also be a slipped intervertebral disc that was causing paralysis in the hind limbs. That would explain the loss of control of bowels, also. Especially given his age, this would not be very uncommon. And less likely to be a concern with your other dog than something hereditary like SM.
    Dogs are not our whole life, but they make our lives whole.
    --Roger Caras

Post Thanks / Like

Near the end when SM was severe mine also lost ability to controll bowels/bladder.

Alison, wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

((((( Gaynor )))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. There's nothing I can say that will make things feel any better at the moment - I know that.

I'm sure you did the right thing.

I lost my precious Declan to MVD 3 months ago. Slowly the heartbreak is fading, but I do miss him every day and tears are never far away when I see his photograph.

Slowly but surely the heartache will be replaced with happy memories, but I know this will take time.

Thinking of you. Hang around here if you can - I too visited for the first time when my precious boy died - now I have some lovely friends on this site.

Take care of yourself.

Post Thanks / Like

Sorry to hear of your loss Gaynor. Just know you showed him your ultimate love by letting him go. We are so lucky to have had their love that is why we miss them so much. We lost our boy to MVD 4 years ago and the pain is still there but the fond memories help. Plus I now have 2 beautiful blenheim girls. Arnold is now free to run with the angels at the bridge.
    Julie and the girls

Post Thanks / Like

Gaynor were about in Derby are you we live in Swadincote which is about 13 miles away from Derby Aileen

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Aileen

We live in Oakwood in Derby however, I have about 4 friends who all live out not too far from you in Castle Donington and Breedon-on-the-Hill.

We all used to work together at DHL at East Midlands and keep in contact.
    They all are dog lovers too. 1 friend has 2 cavaliers. So they all are really supportive.

It's good to know there are people on these boards who live close by. It doesn't seem so 'distant' in cyber world.

thanks for asking
    Gaynor

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Dear Gaynor

I'm so very sorry to read of the loss of your beloved Arnold.

I can reassure you that the very raw pain you are feeling at the moment does ease in time, gradually you willl be able to look back and remember the happy times, and that Arnold would not want you to be sad. You were very brave to let him go, it is the kindest, most loving thing we can do for them at that time.

Cuddle Sam close, he will be missing his "brother" too...

I have lost three Cavaliers, still miss them every day, but I can look back and remember the happy times together and the individual characters, the things they used to do that made me laugh...or made me mad like rolling in cow pats...

It's hard to know what was wrong with Arnold, yes it could have been Syringomyelia, all the symptoms fit for that, but it could have been other things also...

I think you are wise to advise his breeder, it is always good to keep in contact with them, even if it's only once a year to update them. {I know some breeders actually write it into their contract now, that you update them and send a photo annually, so they know the results of their breeding decisions.}

When Rupert {mildly affected} had a really bad episode with his Syringomyelia two years ago, he had walking difficulties {rear end} ...he was very unsteady and it took many months to recover, really it's ony in the last 6 months that he has been running at full stretch again...last year we were trialling a disabled cart for him

He does have some urine leakage, but that could be his age, he is 10 - and is under control with an homeopathic remedy made from Propolin. My other affected dog, who is 3 next month, also recently developed some urine incontinence issues, just small puddles when he was lying down. It happened about 7 times in 10 days, including at night, but again is now under control with the same remedy. TedBear is moderate to severly affected.

Thinking of you, and hoping that Sam will keep well...
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Gaynor,

Welcome to the board. I am so sorry to hear of your darling Arnold but you made the right decision to let him run free with the bunnies at the bridge.

It is so hard to say goodbye to them but they will always be with us. It is only Arnold's body in the ground, his spirit is watching over you all and he wouldn't want you to be so sad.

I agree with some of the others, his symptoms do sound like they could be SM. My Maxx sometimes scratches and bites around his back paws (he has a syrinx at the base of his spine). Did Arnold get distressed whilst he was scratching?

SM dogs do very often get distressed when they scratch and it's awful to see

Use the links the others have given you and when you're ready, have a good read of them all.

If you need a chat then feel free to PM me.

Take care