• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I've lost my soulmate

buttercup

:( Arnold 30.4.96 - 22.8.06

Hello everyone. I came across this site while I've been looking for answers to why Arnold ended up as he did.

Arnold was my blenheim cavalier. I rescued him when he had just turned 3. I say rescued, but he came from a breeder in the show circuit who had used him for stud. So he hadn't been mistreated in that sense.

Arnold had MVD confirmed about 15 months ago when he was 9 which isn't bad for a cavvy. But we had to have him put down on Monday :cry*ing: as he has had gradual weakness in his back legs for about 6 month now and could hardly stand without excessive wobbling and falling over. This was almost constant and spend most of the time lying down. We had to make the decision to have him put down as his quality of life was rubbish. He was weeing on the floor and couldn't poo without falling over and getting it all over him.

He did scratch at his neck (and bottom) from time to time.

Does anyone recognise these signs?

I have another cavalier at home - Sam who is a Tri colour. He's 5 and not from the same line as Arnold and so I'm hoping we don't have to go through this 'hell' again. I can't tell you how I feel right now and I can't stop crying - will this feeling fade with time?

There is a huge hole in our lives at the moment and although we still have Sam - we're really missing Arnold and want him back with us.

I'm sorry for going on in my first post but I know you are people that will fully understand. I'm so glad I've found this site for support and strength and being able to smile at all the lovely photo's of your cavaliers

thanks
Gaynor

Sitting here crying typing this - I have never had to make the decision - but I would feel that I would want to do what would be best for my babies way of life, not in pain or have a good happy life - selfishly I would want them to stay with me, but I would make that decision.

There are many threads about the illnesses that the brave Cavaliers have to contend with MVD and SM, being the major ones.. when you have time read through as other have experience of this and have placed their thoughts and fears. :?

I had a german shorthair pointer from the time I was 2 until I was 18-- when I think of her I still cry. I miss her to this day (almost a quarter century has passed). They stay in your heart forever. I am so sorry for your loss. But -- that love teaches us a lot.

So sorry for your loss, may time make it a little easier for you. :flwr:

Try reading about SM within the group and on various websites, sadly three of my little angels suffered with this and a some members here also have dogs with the condition, it is very wide spread within the breed. :(

htt://www.cavalierhealth.org/

This is a good Cavalier health site, have a visit. Good info on SM, hearts everything. :flwr:

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

So very sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what you went through. It's so painful for us when our pets are uncomfortable. I do think you made the right decision in letting Arnold go. He is no longer in pain. I've lost 2 kitties in the past few years and yes, the pain does decrease. But, my relationship with my dogs is so much different from that with the cats. I can't imagine what I will do. Cry for months I would guess!

Glad you have Sam to comfort you through this. You'll also get loads of comfort and empathy from everyone here. We all feel your pain :hug:

Gaynor,

I forgot to add, :flwr:

if you strongly think that Arnold may of had SM then it is most important to get back in touch with the breeder that you got him from and tell them so, ESPECIALLY as he was a stud dog, breeders need to know if SM is in their lines. Even a line in the post will do. They really do need to be informed.

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

Thanks for all your support. I knew you'd understand.

I've looked at SM but I'm not convinced that was what it was, I don't seem to see anywhere that indicates that loss of feeling of the back end is a sign? or have I missed it?

The vet did mention SM but also wasn't convinced. Would you say that it sounds like it (I realise this is personal opinion).

I miss him soooo much. My daughter (aged 15) asked if it was going to rain last night and when I asked her why, she said 'because Arnold is in the garden on his own and he'll get wet' it's pouring with rain here now....... :(

I know we made the right decision. I once saw a German Shepherd pulling itself along on its front legs dragging its back end after him. I said I'd never let Arnold get to that stage - hard though it is.

thanks again for your support

Gaynor

I'm so sorry for your loss... :(

It could also be a slipped intervertebral disc that was causing paralysis in the hind limbs. That would explain the loss of control of bowels, also. Especially given his age, this would not be very uncommon. And less likely to be a concern with your other dog than something hereditary like SM.

((((( Gaynor )))))

I'm so sorry for your loss. There's nothing I can say that will make things feel any better at the moment - I know that.

I'm sure you did the right thing.

I lost my precious Declan to MVD 3 months ago. Slowly the heartbreak is fading, but I do miss him every day and tears are never far away when I see his photograph.

Slowly but surely the heartache will be replaced with happy memories, but I know this will take time.

Thinking of you. Hang around here if you can - I too visited for the first time when my precious boy died - now I have some lovely friends on this site.

Take care of yourself.

Sorry to hear of your loss Gaynor. Just know you showed him your ultimate love by letting him go. We are so lucky to have had their love that is why we miss them so much. We lost our boy to MVD 4 years ago and the pain is still there but the fond memories help. Plus I now have 2 beautiful blenheim girls. Arnold is now free to run with the angels at the bridge.
Julie and the girls

Hi Aileen

We live in Oakwood in Derby however, I have about 4 friends who all live out not too far from you in Castle Donington and Breedon-on-the-Hill.

We all used to work together at DHL at East Midlands and keep in contact.
They all are dog lovers too. 1 friend has 2 cavaliers. So they all are really supportive.

It's good to know there are people on these boards who live close by. It doesn't seem so 'distant' in cyber world.

thanks for asking
Gaynor

Dear Gaynor

I'm so very sorry to read of the loss of your beloved Arnold.

I can reassure you that the very raw pain you are feeling at the moment does ease in time, gradually you willl be able to look back and remember the happy times, and that Arnold would not want you to be sad. You were very brave to let him go, it is the kindest, most loving thing we can do for them at that time.

Cuddle Sam close, he will be missing his "brother" too...

I have lost three Cavaliers, still miss them every day, but I can look back and remember the happy times together and the individual characters, the things they used to do that made me laugh...or made me mad like rolling in cow pats...

It's hard to know what was wrong with Arnold, yes it could have been Syringomyelia, all the symptoms fit for that, but it could have been other things also...

I think you are wise to advise his breeder, it is always good to keep in contact with them, even if it's only once a year to update them. {I know some breeders actually write it into their contract now, that you update them and send a photo annually, so they know the results of their breeding decisions.}

When Rupert {mildly affected} had a really bad episode with his Syringomyelia two years ago, he had walking difficulties {rear end} ...he was very unsteady and it took many months to recover, really it's ony in the last 6 months that he has been running at full stretch again...last year we were trialling a disabled cart for him :(

He does have some urine leakage, but that could be his age, he is 10 - and is under control with an homeopathic remedy made from Propolin. My other affected dog, who is 3 next month, also recently developed some urine incontinence issues, just small puddles when he was lying down. It happened about 7 times in 10 days, including at night, but again is now under control with the same remedy. TedBear is moderate to severly affected.

Thinking of you, and hoping that Sam will keep well...

Hi Gaynor,

Welcome to the board. I am so sorry to hear of your darling Arnold but you made the right decision to let him run free with the bunnies at the bridge.

It is so hard to say goodbye to them but they will always be with us. It is only Arnold's body in the ground, his spirit is watching over you all and he wouldn't want you to be so sad.

I agree with some of the others, his symptoms do sound like they could be SM. My Maxx sometimes scratches and bites around his back paws (he has a syrinx at the base of his spine). Did Arnold get distressed whilst he was scratching?

SM dogs do very often get distressed when they scratch and it's awful to see :(

Use the links the others have given you and when you're ready, have a good read of them all.

If you need a chat then feel free to PM me.

Take care :flwr:

Back