Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: The Heart of a Cavalier

Post Thanks / Like

Default The Heart of a Cavalier

I wanted to put this pic up, because to me it really embodies the spirit of and nature of Cavaliers. As much as they are playful, regal and stubborn, they are also so sensitive, compassionate and giving. This is a picture of a day not too long before my grandfather passed away (July of this year) and we were lucky enough to bring him home for a visit. We set up a bed in our back room and when Finn saw him he was all excited and got his ball. My gruff Grandpa was always sucked into playing ball for hours and would throw it everytime it was dropped in his lap. My Grandpa was very sensitive to being touched and when Finn was told "no ball" and was stopped from settling on my grandfathers chest, he promptly found himself a bit of bed where my grandfather could still reach down and touch him. It is one of two days I can remember when Finn wasn't at my heels all day long-Finn stayed with him for the duration of his visit.

As you can see though, Finn still gave him his ball...just in case Finn gave Grandpa so much comfort over the last while, I was very proud and when we laid my Grandfather to rest Finn's ball went with him at his wifes request. I miss my grandfather very much as does Finn, but he inspired us to start Finn's career as a therapy dog, which all of us truly enjoy.
    Finnegan (Blenheim), Rowan & Robyn

Post Thanks / Like

That picture says it all, thanks for sharing that!
    Jen, Abbey (Tri Cavalier) & Gus (White Min. Schnauzer)

Toronto, Ontario Originally Born In Bonnie Scotland
    Post Thanks / Like

I Ditto what Jen said, what a very very touching picture and story.
    It made me cry, tears of happiness that your Finn touched your Grandfathers life in such a special way.

God Bless Him May He Rest In Peace, I was so touched that you put the ball to rest along side your Grandfather.

Post Thanks / Like

That's a lovely story, thanks for sharing.

Post Thanks / Like

That is truly lovely.

A special memory for you indeed.

Alison, wilts, U.K.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my gosh....your story made me cry. What a beautiful relationship. I love that Finn gave Grandpa the ball...just in case. But was content to lay by his side and comfort him. The epitome of a Cavlier comfort spaniel. Just beauitful!!! And oh my....the ball was buried with him....what a precious gesture. Give Finn extra hugs and kisses from me for a job well done. Sweet sweet boy.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

I really like this picture of Finn and it reminds me of a recent picture that was taken with Avi's dad and Kosmo. (rare picture warning! his hair was shaved the day before )

Anyways at the end of July we got a phone call that Avi's father had just had a massive heart attack (scale 5 on a 1-5.) It was absolutely awful and we were in and out of ICU for a few days. He had several operations to remove remaining blood clots from his lungs and heart.. it was just rough.

Avi's dad is generally a grumpy guy. He doesn't get excited about anything and he never ever smiles about anything. Even if we get him an Xmas present, he will leave it by the door until we get tired of seeing it and return it. I call him the grinch (he he,) but something that's surprised me is his reaction to Kosmo. He actually seems happy around him and Kosmo is just as happy to keep him company. It makes me look forward to seeing him on the weekends now that I know he will at least have a few hours of happiness. I have offered to drop Kos off for a day or 2 during the week, but I don't know how he would handle it if he "forgot" to take him out and he had an accident or something.

I really like this picture. This is the day after he came home from the hospital. You can't see it in the picture, but his arms are all purple and blue. This is a rare moment of his dad smiling:

Sara, mommy to Kosmo ~ 4 year blenheim boy and Faith 3 year b/t girl *rescue*

Post Thanks / Like

That's a sweet picture. It's amazing what these guys are capable of. My mom is not much of a doggie person...but Shelby sure won her heart over. And my dad is okay with dogs...when he visited he pulled Jake up onto his lap on the couch every morning for a little bonding. Unfortunately my dad's health is not very good and I don't expect they'll come out to visit anymore...I will go visit them. So, I don't imagine they'll ever seen Jake and Shelby again. Something that really bums me.
    Cathy
    Loving mom to Jake, Shelby and Micah

Post Thanks / Like

Isn't it great how good dogs are for us all.
    BK

Post Thanks / Like

Finn is a wonderful, sweet boy and that picture and the story made me cry too. I love that the ball was buried with your Grandfather. Cavaliers are amazing animals, but I think all dogs in general are sweet, selfless and empathetic creatures and I can't imagine my life without them.
    "My little dog: A heartbeat at my feet."
    ~Edith Wharton