• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Another Stair Question

Denise G.

I didn't want to hijack Michelle's thread, but I have another question about stairs.

My stairs are the riser type with nothing between each individual stair. I haven't even encouraged Mia to go up and down as I think she could fall through the gaps. She's pretty small--about 8lbs and petite, though she's seven months old. Any advice as to when I should start training her to go up and down the stairs? Should I just wait until she's a little bigger and doesn't fit through so easily? I guess I'm afraid she won't get much bigger. When are Cavs considered full grown, filled out, etc.?

Our Twinkle has been climbing stairs since she was 4 months old and coming back down since 5 months old. Kelvin's parents house has the type of stairs you describe and she has been going up and down these stairs with no problems as well. My heart was in my mouth the first time I saw her go up them but she was fine. I recommend you show her how to use them and supervise as if they were normal stairs.

Good luck,
Joanna

Of course the safe answer is to wait til she is a little bigger and not so likely to fall through. Are these stairs she has to use to go where she needs to? The other option is to see if there is some way to attach a temporary board to the back side that could be removed when she is bigger.

Like Joanna said, just teach her to use the stairs when you think the time is right. At 7 months old and 8#, she shouldn't have any trouble learning. We have taught puppies at 2-1/2 to 3 months old to go up and down our deck stairs that are 6" high from tread to tread.

She doesn't have to use the stairs to go outside or anything. They just lead from 1st story to the 2nd story and I just carry her up with me when I go. Think I'll wait until she's a little bigger...I'm such a worry wort sometimes. :roll:

I tried to stop Merlin from going up and down the stairs until he was 12 months. I was afraid he would damage his legs and hips because he was only little and wanted his bones to form properly. We have stairs down to the garden as we have the benefit of a cellar and the back door is in the cellar. I have very steep stairs ( I have fallen down them myself several times).

I used to carry him down as they are stone steps and I was afriad of him hurting himself and he does now hurtle up and down wthout looking where is is going.

I think shallow steps would be fine for a pup but mine are so steep my paranoia kicked him.

Mia is getting comfortable with her new surroundings and has started jetting around all over the lower level--she looks like a blur. Wrigley just stands in one spot and watches her in shock. :lol: So, I'm sure she's going to try the stairs before long. I'll just take it a day at a time and let her find them herself. She's never unsupervised around them, so hopefully this will work.

Thanks for your suggestions!

Back