• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

New moderators!

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
Today we passed 600 members -- that's a lot of folks on Cavaliertalk, and more than I can keep an eye on at one time given that I also have a job and an offline life! :lol:

I have been planning for some time to introduce a team of moderators to the board who can make sure the board always feels like a comfortable place to be and to make sure we don't get any rogue posts or legally problematical posts, and to manage threads that may step off into a direction that is outside the ethos or remit of Cavaliertalk. Those who have been on the board for a while will know that there are very few restrictions on what can be posted here -- those areas are outlined in the Getting Started section -- and I don't expect moderators to run into many problems while helping mind the board. I've had almost no problems and I don't expect any of this to change much. But 600 people, growing at about 5 new members daily, is getting to be too much activity for me to look after alone. :cffee:

So, I've asked two people to join a new moderator team that will likely grow a bit more in future: Cathy Moon and Jen, both of whom are actively on the board most days and also are in a different part of the world from me, which is very helpful as many use the board in places that have their daytime and evenings when I am asleep here in Ireland. :slp:

I am very appreciative of their willingness to shoulder this task which, though I hope it will work around the time they already spend here anyway and won't be a great burden to them, nonetheless carries responsibilities. They have been generous in volunteering to freely give their own time to this community and help it remain a place I hope people enjoy visiting.

Please note this is not a team of police 8) but more a team of helpers.

I have confidence in their capabilities and their judgement. Also please note that they also have the right to their own opinions and in that sense remain normal, active members of this community too! :)

YAY for cathy and jen!! I look forward to seeing you guys around.. well not that I don't already, but you know what I mean. :p cl*p

Thanks Cathy and Jen for agreeing to help Karlin out. :flwr: Karlin always works so hard for us so it will be good that she has some helpers. Thanks girls :) :thnx:
Julie and the girls

Congratulations Cathy and Jen :rah: And thank you Karlin for a brilliant board, i love being part of it :flwr: .

Sarah Xxx

A big thanks from me too, Kathy and Jen, for volunteering to help with this board.

So does this mean I have to behave myself?

Thanks Karlin - We really appreciate all you do - I think we forget that you have a day job too -

AND A great big thank you for Jen and Cathy for taking on the roles of moderators.. good luck girls..... :mexwav:

:w**h**: :w**h**: :w**h**:

Karlin: 600 Members :w*w: that is amazing, any wonder why you need a hand darling. I think we do forget that you do have a life outside this wonderful, wonderful board. I think it is a second home to most of us, and it is nice to share stories about our babies with one another.

:jump: A big thank you to Jen & Cathy for coming forth to lend a hand.
Isn't it a wonderful feeling, like a community of love. :hug: :hug: :lotsaluv: :lotsaluv: :mexwav:

congratulations cathy moon and jen- you will make great mods. You are always there, ready to give out great advice and help! just like Karlin :flwr: Aww- what a team

Congratulations Cathy and Jen!!!!! I'm sure Karlin will enjoy a bit more sleep now she doesn' have to check the forum through the night!

Uh oh...Karlin's on the lamb! :drivecar:

Getting to know Cathy and Jen through the comments and seems like a pretty good fit :D Congrats ladies! (y)

So does this mean I have to behave myself?

As usual, I see you are being one of the difficult members, Bruce! 8)

I should note that people can also PM one of the moderators if they see anything they think might be questionable or if they get an unwanted PM or email through the board (eg something they would consider abusive). (y)

Just to clarify so that everyone knows what people can and can't do:

What moderators can do:

* lock, edit, unlock, move and delete posts and threads in the forums where they have moderator permissions

My policy is that if any post is edited by me or a moderator, we will note the post has been edited and by whom and why, In the past I have edited posts to remove named individuals or private email addresses/phone numbers.

If threads are locked a reason will be given. I have only locked a handful of threads (out of 3,204 topics!) -- less than 10 -- so you can see this is rarely used as a tool.

what moderators cannot do:

* view full member profiles and manage, restrict or delete their accounts
* view passwords (I can't see your passwords either! So I can't look up your password if you forget it, which I am asked to do now and then. There is a facility that lets you reset your password however if you forget it)
* view PMs of other members (I can't see these either. Your PMs are private)
* ban members
* edit, add or delete forums

Back