• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Maxwell and the Missing Muffin

Maxwell&me

Last night late I ran out to the Market to purchase a special treat for my two young daughters, their very favorite: Chocolate chip bananna muffins. When my oldest arose this morning she was very excited to see I had made this special purchase. She took out a very fancy china plate, set her muffin in the middle, and put it on the diningroom table..... and then off she went to grab a glass of milk to go with it.
:yikes

All of a sudden I hear a blood curdling SCREAM from the kitchen and my daughter crying on the kitchen floor~ Im thinking she cut herself, I cant tell you all the horrible things that passed thru my mind....when I finally get her to stop crying she tells me that Maxwell ate her muffin while her back was turned and she was terrified becouse * as they have been warned a hundred times* Chocolate is toxic to dogs.

I called my vet, the amount he consumed will not harm him but we are awaiting an upset tummy ....he seems quite pleased with himself....I guess he thought he deserved something off the fancy china too!

Just a reminder....and hes never stolen anything off the table before, it only takes a second with your back turned...... :roll:

I am sorry, I know it's not funny but here I am laughing my butt off !! :rotfl: Of course Maxwell wouldn't understand he can't eat off the fine china!! I am sure he thinks he's a King so it's just fitting! LOL Your poor daughter I am sure she wanted to kill him!!! ANd her favorite too... .. Poor girl. My trainer's dog ate a bag of chocolate covered espresso beans last year for Xmas.. LOL she said she spent the night at the vet with a very sick, yet shaking and hyper dog. Of all things to get into she had to pick the espresso!! (She's OK now) Glad Maxwell is going to be alright. ;) THey sure can cause a scare huh!? And thanks for the reminder. ;)

That's how I lost my tuna sandwich the other day :yikes Turned my back and it was gone. I think it's sweet that she was concerned about him eating chocolate...sounds like more than she was concerned that she lost her muffin.

Yes !!! my beautiful darling Whitney did this a few weeks ago!

Bless her little heart :lol: :lol: :lol: we have a little food thief in the house :D

Alison, Wilts, U.K.

hmmmmm...it is sounding like I am not the first cavalier owner to have to remind people to push their chairs in IMMEDIATELY when they have to leave the table for any small reason. :roll:

Wow, thanks for the reminder! I'm glad Maxwell is o.k. Hope your daughter has recovered, too! What a good girl to look out for Maxwell's welfare! :flwr:

Dawn

I am glad t see you back, haven't seen you post in a long time.
We missed you. :hug:

Not so happy to hear about Sir Maxwell, getting into the goodies and your poor daughter.

I can just imagine your face when you heard the screams h*lp :shock:
poor wee soul. I hope he doesn't get to sick, which daughter was it I still have that picture you sent me of them.

So are you replacing the Missing Muffin icon_nwunsure

Cailean unwrapped a box of chocolates one Christmas Eve afternoon.

We had to rush down to the vets with him. He was high as a kite.
No kidding, he jumped straight from the floor up onto the vets' table.

It was a newly-qualified vet - she had to check with one of the bosses, who said that Cailean would probably suffer a sugar low later on and just to keep an eye on him.

Little monkey! :D

This morning, Bradley stole Jennifer's biscuits - whilst he was doing this, Cailean stole Bradley's breakfast :).

Well, so far no tossing anything up....but I cant wait to see what happens on his nightly walk tonight, hes acting normal...his typical self, but to be honest I was a bit rattled this morning invisioning not even having time to get my coffee in a cup before having to rush him to the vets to have his stomach pumped...... :?

Lexi, the oldest at 10 was the guilty party....she knows that she will always get in way more trouble not telling than if she actually tells....she felt so very guilty for leaving it where he could get it...and I guess in some ways Ive scared the crap out of them about things that are toxic to dogs becouse she was crying as she thought Maxwell was a gonner for sure....*sigh* I didnt think a few choclate chips would kill the lad but I did call vet just in case...poor Lexi, who loves Max so very much and is terrified of doing anything to harm him~ becouse she knows how much her Mum loves him also.

Thankfully hes fine, but I just cant believe he had the balls ( Opps, can I say that? At the moment its the only fitting discription ) to jump on the table and steal a muffin!

Hope I made some of you laugh today ...the never ending adventures of Maxwell the Great......

misty said:
This morning, Bradley stole Jennifer's biscuits - whilst he was doing this, Cailean stole Bradley's breakfast :).

Oh, the little beggars! ;) They keep us on our toes, don't they? :lol:

Although this is not a Cavalier story, my Mum did have a beautiful Bernese Mountain dog when I was younger. When he was a pup, he somehow managed to get into a packet of butter. When my Mum went to clear up the poop later that day, she said it was all neatly packaged in an Anchor Butter wrapper!

Also, when he was older, we took him to our friends house. My Mums friend was busy preparing Sunday lunch (roast lamb) and had got the joint of meat out of the fridge ready to put into the oven. When she turned around, it had gone. She thought my Mum was playing a joke on her and had hidden it. Unfortunately, our dog had made off with it into the garden and was quite happily munching away on it. My Mum felt terrible and spent the next hour going to all the local supermarkets to find another joint of meat. Most of the stores then were closed on Sundays, so I think they ended up with a Sunday roast minus the meat.

Sharon said:
When my Mum went to clear up the poop later that day, she said it was all neatly packaged in an Anchor Butter wrapper!

That's funny!

I had a friend with a beagle, Susie. Susie loved donuts. Susie got into the donuts and got scolded. Mom went to bed that night, slid her hand under the pillow, right into a chocolate donut. Susie was saving that donut for later!! :lol:

How cute! I used to have a little maltese mix, and every time she was given a chew toy she spent a lot of time looking for a suitable hiding place for it. Geordie did that too when he was a puppy!

Further to chocolate: The amount in a muffin would not likely be dangerous, especially as many places aren;t using real chocolate anyway but those chocolate flavoured chips. Also if they are milk chocolate there's not much of the chemical that is dangerous in just a few chips.

This link (which is also in the Caring for Your Cavalier part of the Library) has a good explanation of how much chocolate would need to be consumed, why it is poisonous, and how you can treat at home in an emergency (burnt toast will work if nothing else is there!):

http://www.virtualvet.com/petowners/poisonfacts.htm

One of our favourite family stories that gets retold a lot by my grandmother (now 98!) was about the day she spent all morning baking homemade buns, then set them out on a rack to cool while she summoned my grandfather in for lunch -- he was outside painting our house (they had a converted downstairs studio apt. in our house and would come stay with us every year in the winter).

She walked back in with my grandfather only to find not a bun in sight but a happy looking family dog -- our Great Pyrenees Lani had easily 'counter surfed' all the cooling buns and eaten them all as well -- about two dozen!! :yikes

Back