• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

puppia question

judy

zack's red medium puppia harness just arrived. I am not sure that it fits him. the neck is good but it sure is tight around the chest. i can't easily fit one finger under the girth. I am wondering if this is how it's supposed to be, people who have puppia harnesses, about how tight is it around the chest? It seems to kind of cut under his elbows. It would really be hard to get two fingers under the thing. i had heard that collars should allow two fingers. i thinkk that it might wear his fur off if i left it on much. i'm not sure whether it would chafe out on a walk.

red is definitely his color, he looks nice in it. And he seems to like it. When i took it off he kept putting his head in it to try to get it back on. So i put it back on and have let him hang out in it while i'm home for lunch. For a while, he kept shaking his body like he was trying to shake something off, which he doesn't usually do with his easy walker harness.

when i tried it on him in the store in the other color, i didn't notice it being that tight.

here's some photos of the male model. On the one from the side can you see how it's cutting under his armpit? I don't know if you can see it.

zpupfrtcrop.jpg

zpupside2.jpg

zpupli.jpg

zpupfrt3.jpg

It looks like you haven;t adjusting the band on girth. From your picture it looks like it is on its tightest setting. The girth band should have a huge amount of extra room unless Zack is really huge.

I was thinking the same thing. Adjust the girth and it should be fine. It does look like it's a bit tight up under the front legs. He sure looks cute in it though! Red definitely works on our tris doesn't it?!

Zack looks totally adorable in red! 8) From the photos I noticed what Karlin is talking about - we should be able to see another bit of black plastic about an inch past the quick release fastener on Zack's right side. Since we cannot see it, you should be able to loosen the girth some more. My pups wear mediums, and I have the girth set as big as possible. They don't have any room to grow, but the harness is not tight. I have noticed they get a little mat in their hair by their armpits since having the harnesses.

Mine get those matts too.

I have to put all the mediums I have on almost the tightest setting! :lol: Goes to show how different they can all be in build.

I hope you guys are right. I'm at the office now so i can't look at it, but of course, i did take it off of him and try to make it as large as possible, but there didn't seem to be any way of making it larger, it seemed to be let out as far as it could go. Hopefully i just misperceived it, it's pretty tight. but of course, i did try to adjust it. I slid it as far as it would go and tried to force it to go even further. All he needs is another inch. anyway, when i get home in about a half hour, i'll try again.

i haven't seen them yet because they arrived after i finished my lunch break, but lisa and joe and belle are at my place now!! I'm so happy and i know Zack is happy. I get to have belle through Sunday while they're up in Berkeley. :D we are going to have so much fun. i am hoping to buy belle a sky blue puppia harness at the local pet store that has them, i hope they have that color.

yeah cathy, i love the red with the tricolor. nice shade of red too.

Hope you have lots of fun with Belle and Zack!

You know, I think King wears a large puppia, so maybe Zack really does need a large. You might want to try one on him in case that would be more comfortable. :flwr:

Zack looks adorable in red!!! I think every dog has his/her own color that works for them...But from wat I've kinda seen red works for just bout every1... :lol: King looks great in red; harness, PJs, hoodie.. blue also works for him but I like red better

:oops: yes, i was seeing it wrong. And i really tried too. true, i was rushed being on my lunch hour, but i did try to figure out how to adjust it to make it looser. When i got home, i handed it to Joe and said "Will this get any bigger or is it as big as it can get?" He looked at it briefly and said it was as big as it could get. He saw it the same way i did. But Lisa said it could be loosened and she showed us. Now, it fits zack perfectly, there's room to make it either bigger or smaller. I'm so glad. I already got one on eBay that was too small. That one was too small in the neck, it wouldn't go over his head. So now he's wearing his colors while he and belle are playing. He is not big but he's bigger than her. i wonder if she would wear a small. I'll try the size small black i have on her just to test and try zack's medium on her too. I weighed zack last night at the pet store and he's still 14 pounds and a few ounces, his weight has not increased in at least 3 months. At that rate, he won't outgrow his medium size.

The medium fits Belle perfectly too.
That small i got--it must be for yorkies, teacup sized dogs, really little guys. I wouldn't go over belle's head either. i guess i might as well sell it on ebay. I never see dogs that small at the dog park. If i did, i'd just give it to someone.

Just make sure it doesn't rub the tops of his legs (armpit bits) - we had a problem with Mollies one as her chest is big so it would'nt fit, and the new one for Woody was to tight also - but fine on Busta.

I just received Lilee's first Puppia harness yesterday in the mail. I ordered a medium for her because she wears a medium in clothes and when we measured her it seems like the medium was the right size.
:oops:
However it's HUGE on her. The neck and chest part doesn't fit her at all. I'm thinking of returning it and ordering a small but I'm afraid that will be too small.

Lilee is 9 lbs. and almost 5 months old. I imagine that she will eventually grow into the medium but do you think a small would be too small at this point??

Thanks!

Silly Lilee said:
I just received Lilee's first Puppia harness yesterday in the mail. I ordered a medium for her because she wears a medium in clothes and when we measured her it seems like the medium was the right size.
:oops:
However it's HUGE on her. The neck and chest part doesn't fit her at all. I'm thinking of returning it and ordering a small but I'm afraid that will be too small.

Lilee is 9 lbs. and almost 5 months old. I imagine that she will eventually grow into the medium but do you think a small would be too small at this point??

Thanks!

I think a small will be too tight, as Gus was only 8 pounds when the small became too snug on him, and he's a Schnauzer so he doesn't have the barrel chest like Cavs do. I think she'll grow into a medium, she's still so young. Puppia's aren't suppose to fit tight or snug at all, that's why they're so good for Cavs (SM issues), as they're loose and light-weight.

The small is absolutely tiny and you won't get the value out of it at all at this stage. You would get a few weeks if anything.

Joanna

Ok, thanks for your responses.

I guess I was just so excited to get it that I wanted her to be able to wear it right away. Hopefully she will grow into it soon.

We swapped Ozzy into his medium one at about 7 months, as his head was not going to fit in the small one much longer, just wait a few weeks and it should fit no problem :p

Silly Lilee said:
Ok, thanks for your responses.

I guess I was just so excited to get it that I wanted her to be able to wear it right away. Hopefully she will grow into it soon.

what color did you get?
i'm surprised it's so hard to find a local store that carries them so that they can be tried on first. but i have only found one in the los angleles area--wouldn't you think some pet boutique in some trendy area like north Santa Monica, Beverly Hills, and many more around here would carry them?

Dallas is a big city, surely there is a place that carries them. Yet how do ou find it? I've just been looking on the web. I haven't called puppiaworld yet.

i called puppiaworld, sales department, and they were very nice to give me three retailers in my area. but when i called them, none of them carried the harness. Only one carried other puppia stuff. As it is, i have a really close shop that has them in all the colors, but they didn't have a red medium the other day when was there and instead bought it on ebay.

I took belle in there yesterday to get one for her in green or blue. I had already tried the small on her and it won't go over her head. She's probably around 12 1/2 to 13 pounds. that small is extremely small.

i got her a medium in green yesterday and it's loose in the neck. And i don't think she's going to grow anymore, she's 14 months old. but the chest fits ok. the neck a little too loose and the thing slips around a little. it looks beautiful on her though. Lisa's favorite color is blue and they had a blue whcih i tried on her but both me and the sales guy felt the green looked prettier with her colors so that's what i got. I thought the blue looked kind of niice on zack but i like the red bettter on him. I was tempted but i held off on buying it for him.

From the puppiaworld sales guy i learned that there is no such thing as the green with the black trim. They just made one of those for the photoshoot, but the only green one they've ever sold is the solid green.

At least that;s what he said.

hi there. Just a quick question. Is the puppia harness only for dogs affected with SM? or is it good to use for dogs that arent and why.
Thankyou
P.S Sorry about this question i must sound dumb :? :) . but i'm sort of new at this ..so yea

I recommend harnesses for all cavaliers rather than walking them on collars.

Puppias are meant for any dog -- they are just a general dog harness. I like them for my SM dog as they are very dog and supportive across the chest. They actually make several styles of harness as well.

It doesn't matter of they are loose on the neck. I prefer them loose myself. The neck isn't where they would slip off the dog unless it is absolutey huge -- its the girth strap that matters.

Back