• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Worried - lump appeared after spaying !!!!

petitchien

Hi,

Charlie got spayed 3 weeks ago today.
She got her stitches out last weekend and there was a little lump which the vet said was due to the scarring, so no problems.

The lump however has got larger and the end of the scar (which seemed to be totally healed) now is seeping a little. It doesn't seem to hurt her at all but we're bringing her back to the vet today to see what it is as the lump is getting larger (it's not hard) and she's still bouncing around the place!

I am in work now, but really worried about it ......

Has anyone else out there had something similar? I'm sure we'll know this afternoon what it is, but I can't wait !!

Thanks

We had something similar with Ozzy - please ask the vet to check that the stitch (they put one inside) which is supposed to be a dissolving one is not being expelled from the body... he was all red and swollen with pus, as soon as Julian took it out went down and healed.

They didn't use dissolving stitches, but I'll check anyway..
This lump isn't red and there's hair growing back on it as with the other area which was shaved .. the only thing is that the end of the scar does now have a little pus out of it .... THANKS for your input .....

Sounds like something causing some irritation; maybe a small piece of a stitch left there. I doubt this is serious but definitely something you want checked so they can fix it. :)

petitchien said:
This lump isn't red and there's hair growing back on it as with the other area which was shaved .. the only thing is that the end of the scar does now have a little pus out of it .... THANKS for your input .....

They use dissolving stitches in the muscle-- during a spay you have to cut skin and muscle-- you have interior stitches that can't be removed. My boy had a reaction to the dissolving stitches. Sandy

Ahhh, that really makes more sense and it could be that .....
I'll let the OH know as he's home early and will take Charlie to the appt.

Thanks Sandy ....
I'll let you know how it goes

Our little sweetie pie had the same problem while we were traveling around the country. It was caused by a reaction to the stitch left inside of her. We put hot compresses on the swollen area (to drain it) and then applied Polysporin to combat any possible infection. We did take her to a vet at one point, and he said to continue using the heat and ointment. He also told us that the problem would likely go away by itself - which it did. After a few weeks, you could no longer tell Bodie had any type of problem. It never seemed to bother her. Good luck!

WoodHaven said:
petitchien said:

They use dissolving stitches in the muscle-- during a spay you have to cut skin and muscle-- you have interior stitches that can't be removed. My boy had a reaction to the dissolving stitches. Sandy

My lab had a reaction to the sutures, too. Most dogs are fine w/ the dissolving sutures, but some have a reaction...

BTW, when Bodie was spayed she was given a very cool, girly soft collar, instead of the lampshade. It worked great. She did not seem to notice the collar and was able to easily move around and see her surroundings. A great invention!

225438537_cb44b41796_m.jpg

Now, how cute is that! What a sweet little pup your Bodie is! :flwr:
Do you know where these collars can be purchased? I'd like to keep one in our emergency kit.

Sorry to hear about poor Charlie...my Peaches had a reaction to the internal stitches too, several weeks after her spay op.

It did settle down after a few weeks though...just means they take longer to heal, so try not to let her jump on and off furniture etc.

Shasters, I just love Bodie's soft collar, never seen one like that before :D

Cathy,
Cathy Moon said:
Now, how cute is that! What a sweet little pup your Bodie is! :flwr:
Do you know where these collars can be purchased? I'd like to keep one in our emergency kit.

Thanks for the "cute Bodie" comment. Like all Cav owners, we do think our little girl is adorable. Unfortunately, I don't know the name of the soft collar manufacturer. The collar certainly is great and so much nicer than the lampshade. The fun part is that the collars come in different designs, so little boy doggies don't have to wear embarassing flower patterns. If I find out where they can be purchased, I'll let you know.

Oh Shasters, your Bodie is yummy - she's got one of those faces that you want to smoosh LOL

As for Charlie's lump, Petitchien. It's not just the dogs who can have a reaction to the internal stitches.

I did myself after an op and as soon as the gunge started to come out of the wound I spotted a tiny bit of stitch. i sterilized some tweezers and got hold of the end of it. I was mortified when it just kept on coming out as I pulled it gently :yikes

I took it straight down to see my GP - terrified that my scar was going to pop open and my insides would escape at any minute :badgrin: :yikes

He said that some people have antibodies that stop the stitches dissolving and that it was nothing to worry about. He gave me some antibiotics for the infection though. I think it could be the same for our furbabies as they are as human as you can get on four legs :lol:

shasters said:
BTW, when Bodie was spayed she was given a very cool, girly soft collar, instead of the lampshade. It worked great. She did not seem to notice the collar and was able to easily move around and see her surroundings. A great invention!

225438537_cb44b41796_m.jpg

donna--adorable!!! I'm in southern CA too--can you give the name of your vet or vet office? I would like to know about a vet that gives collars like that when a collar is needed--it's very thoughtful toward the pet's owner, which is a sought after quality. lovely photo. :flwr:

judy said:
I'm in southern CA too--can you give the name of your vet or vet office? I would like to know about a vet that gives collars like that when a collar is needed--it's very thoughtful toward the pet's owner, which is a sought after quality. lovely photo. :flwr:

Sure thing! Our vet is at the Yorba Regional Animal Hospital, and the website is http://www.yorbaregionalvets.com/. It's in the Yorba Linda/Anaheim Hills area. I'm surprised more vets do not carry the collars. They are so functional, and so adorable! (y) Here is a close-up picture of the collar. (With Bodie's scary eyes.) An interior string is used to comfortably and safely fit the inner ring around the dog's neck. (You can see the ends of the string hanging down.) A stiff foam is used inside of the collar, while the outside is made of some type of washable material that is similar to an outdoor tablecloth. The collars are also offered in various sizes. You know a dog lover invented it! If you're an artsy-craftsy type of person, I'm sure you could make your own. (I am horrible at crafts. However, I seem to be good about opening up the ol' wallet.)

226572973_f8b598961e.jpg

Maxxs_Mummy said:
I did myself after an op and as soon as the gunge started to come out of the wound I spotted a tiny bit of stitch. i sterilized some tweezers and got hold of the end of it. I was mortified when it just kept on coming out as I pulled it gently :yikes
Donna, I almost fainted while reading this - you brave girl!!!!! :shock: :yikes

Cathy Moon said:
Maxxs_Mummy said:

This isn't that unusual- one of our last rescues had a stitch left in.

Cathy Moon said:
Maxxs_Mummy said:

Gave me a quesy tummy :?

Good news

Hi all,

Thanks for the good wishes and thoughts ....

Yes - Charlie is fine .... she was given some antibiotics and it's going down already ..... we took them to the west of ireland :drivecar: for the weekend and they were soooo tired last night and I suppose with the antibiotics aswell, she was out for the count by 9pm !!!! icon_whistling

So all's well .....

So glad that Charlie is OK again :)

Sorry if I made anyone queasy :oops: I forget that not everyone has a cast iron constitution like me :lol:

Back