• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Head Size

seamus_d

Hi All-

I have a a 10 month tri who is all legs- he looks like a 15 year old adolescent boy. His head and ears are still on the smaller side and I am curious if they will catch up? I went to a Cavalier dog show and noticed there are variations in the size of heads. I have a Newfie so my perspective may be a bit skewed (his head is the size of a watermelon!).

Mary

At 7 months Rory was all head! Ten months is a terrible age to judge how they will look. They're just growing at such a weird rate. Legs one day, torso the next, head the following. :roll: Most people agree that it's 8-12 months is a rather "ugly" stage for a cav. ;) (if a cav can ever be ugly!)

If your boy is unneutered, his head will continue to grow and fill out as he matures. It might not grow so much if he's neutered.

My parents have newfs! That's how I found this breed! Cavs are great "flews" cleaners!! Rory is constantly licking the slobber off of my mom's boy's flews! :yuk:

head size

I am glad to hear that his head will continue to grow- he looks like a such a peanut next to Guinness. He is not neutered yet- I was planning on doing it in a month or so. Perhaps I should wait for a bit until his head grows? I have heard male Cavaliers are not fully grown until 2 or 3 years old.

Mary

seamus_d said:
Hi All-

I have a a 10 month tri who is all legs- he looks like a 15 year old adolescent boy. His head and ears are still on the smaller side and I am curious if they will catch up? I went to a Cavalier dog show and noticed there are variations in the size of heads. I have a Newfie so my perspective may be a bit skewed (his head is the size of a watermelon!).

Mary

He is at that gangly age right now. I wouldn't be too concerned about it at this point. As to head size, if you were comparing him to the boy my wife Kris had at the fun match, his head would look a bit smaller. That Casper is just like his Grandpa Lazer: a big headed boy. Some judges like it, some don't. But if you're not showing, the important thing is that he is healthy and loving. As they say, beauty is only skin deep.

Back