• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Fits??

Harry & Heidi's mom

Hi,

My friends dog (6 year old mongral) had a fit tonight.
She is worried sick (as we all would be) about her and is wondering what could have caused it?
Tara has been eating/toileting/playing as normal
at vets tomorrow.

any ideas?

Heather

I would be worried sick too.

My first Cavalier had fits for about a year when he was a puppy. He never came to any harm with them. We found he was ravenously hungry and tired afterwards.

The vet never found out what the problem was, but veterinary science has come on a lot since 1988.

Good luck to the dog at the vets.

Hiya Heather,

I think some dogs are just like some humans and suffer fits. They are usually caused by a malfunction of the electricity in the brain & can (usually) be controlled by medication. I think I'd be worried too though, hope your friend and the doggie are both OK xxxxx

I was watching animal airport the other day and a German Shephard had been having fits due to an infection in the intestine.... I know if a child fits sometimes it is due to having an infection or having a fever.....

Hi,

Tara has been seen by the vet, who said there is nothing wrong, just one of those things!

not sure if i'd be happy leaving it at that as fits happen for a reason!!!

mammals have a seizure threshold-- you cross it -- your brain misfires. For some dogs it can be cleaners(pinesol if I remember right), medications, tumors, etc.,.. there are so many possible causes-- It may happen once or it may need meds to keep them at bay.

My parents lab/shepherd mix (11 years old!) has had seizures it's entire life. It's only a handful (if that) a year, and the vet said that canine epilepsy is a possibility. My folks didnt put their dog on any medication; once her seizures are over, she recovers. When she's seizing, we just try to keep her on the ground and talk to her calmly. She hasnt had any noticeable long term effects.

Back