• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

trip to the vet

-leah-

we had an eventful trip to the vet today with bailey and holly! :) they both got there kennel cough immunisation shot for ther upcoming visit to the kennels while we are in peru, bailey also had to get his booster i cant believe we have him a year already it flew! :p the vet listened to their hearts and both dogs are fine im so relieved :lol: however holly is slightly over weight hitting the scales at 10.5 kg keeping in mind she is only 10 months but she has been neutered so that would be the root of her weight gain :? bailey is 9.2kg which is a perfect weight as he is tall :p and then to top it all off just as we were going out the door a woman came in with a collie pup and it went for a wee on the floor because it was so excited to see bailey end holly :sl*p: !!! would love to hear from people who also have over weight cavaliers we were thinking of feeding them seperatly any advice???

Leah, bailry and a slightly rounded holly :flwr:

Hi Leah,

Maxx got quite podgy but it was down to Daddy over indulging him with toast and stuff :roll: :x .

Both of mine now have the same food but differing amounts. I feed them on opposite sides of the kitchen and I also have to put a lead on Charlie and hook it over the door handle - if I didn't, Maxx would get nothing to eat!

Whenever Charlie sees his 'food lead' he gets so excited and sits perfectly still on his feeding mat waiting for his dinner. as soon as the lead goes on, all hell breaks loose and he does this wonderfully excited dance :lol: .

As soon as Maxx finishes his food I let Charlie off his lead again :D . If I didn't use the lead, he would gobble his food down and then go and shove Maxx over to get his too - then he would be sick everywhere :(

It's not cruel, honestly!!!! :D

Hi Leah, I have 2 spayed females and they are not overweight. I feed each of them just a little bit less than 1/3 cup of kibble twice a day, and I don't allow them to take each other's food. They both have waistlines when viewed from above. Holly would most likely lose the extra weight gradually if you reduce the amount of food she eats. :flwr:

thanks for the advice we bought seperate bowls for the dogs today blue and pink of course as they were eating out of a 2 bowls in 1 type thing... we are feeding them at 4 o'clock everyday because thats the time il be in from school at i hope this works for holly :flwr:

We were told Duncan was overweight at 21.7 lbs (9.9kg) and put him on a mixture of weight loss and regular food. We hope that coupled with longer walks and a good long game of fetch in the evenings will get "chuncky duncky" where he needs to be. Maybe chasing his new little brother will help to!! :rah:

Side note - I told my mother that it was recommened that he lose 3-4 lbs and she told me it shouldn't be too hard to lose just a few lbs. She neglected to realize we are talking about almost 20% of his body weight. I wonder how easy of a time she would have losing that % weight.

both dogs are on one meal a day now and they are eating it straight away we are already notcing differences like they seem alot more contented and hopefully it wont be long until we notice a weight loss in holly, she needs to get to the same weight as bailey he is 9.4kg they are both quite tall i was told by a local breeder that the bleinhems are usually the tallest of the four colours. will keep you posted on hollys progress :)

Back