• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

An update on Corgan

RockNRollCav

I don't post too often when we don't have pictures - I just have a busy summer! But, I wanted to let everyone know how WONDERFULLY Corgan is doing! We've started giving treats when he goes potty outside, and we haven't had an accident since we started doing that. We put bells on the door and he is using them about 70-75% of the time he wants to go out, but we still take him other times when he doesn't ask, too.

We have stopped confining him to a crate all day - now we block off the kitchen for him and leave a different crate (easier to move) in there for him. I've caught him napping in it a few times ;).

He sleeps downstairs now in the crate we used to leave him in all day. This crate is plenty big for him, and he sleeps all the way through the night and only starts making noise when he hears us upstairs before we come down to let him out (usually about 5-10 minutes). In fact, he has been putting himself to bed recently! He is in his crate all curled up right now, with the door wide open :lol: We also have been treating him when he goes in sometimes, which I think has helped.

Today, I took Corgan and Celti to the creek near my house and let them play off leash in the water. He was SO GOOD! He came every time I called his name, he left strangers alone for the most part, and he L O V E D the water!! He came home FILTHY!! I have photos that I'll post sometime of the aftermath of the creek trip! :) He got a bath tonight, too, and of course was fabulous icon_whistling

Of course, now that I've boasted about our boy, he's going to chew everything in the house, have accidents, not eat his dinner, stop ringing the bell, etc, but I can't contain it any more - he's such a good boy!! I just had to share! :)

If you've made it this far, thanks for reading my "book" of a post!! :lol:

What great news. Sounds like you are really enjoying Corgan. He sounds like an absolute love. What a good boy.

Now...can he teach Shelby not to pee in front of my chair??!! Yikes...three years olds...what in the world is going on Miss Priss??

No, he won't chew up everything. He's on a roll and is going to keep progressing. Fingers crossed!! :D

Oh it really sounds like you are having the best time with Corgan! :flwr: Isn't it great to have these little puppies and watch them progress and learn things and make you so proud and melt your heart? :lotsaluv: Corgan seems to be coming along nicely and you are probably just nuts about him, that's just wonderful.
BTW, how old is Corgan now? I LOVE the Avatar picture, he has such a gorgeous face!

Seems like not long ago you were struggling with how to get Corgan home to your house. Boy...sounds like it was all worth it. He is a great pup.

BTW, how old is Corgan now? I LOVE the Avatar picture, he has such a gorgeous face!

He is about 5 1/2 months old - born March 15, 2005 :). Thanks for the compliment on the avatar and his face - we certainly love him to death and think he's the most gorgeous dog on the planet (well, he and Celti are tied for first ;)) but it's nice to hear that others think he's cute, too! icon_whistling

He is adorable !!!

So glad he is doing so well ! How did you get him to ring the bells ? I have bells on my back door and I would ring them every time we went out ...........but they never caught on to do it themselves :(

He is adorable !!!

So glad he is doing so well ! How did you get him to ring the bells ? I have bells on my back door and I would ring them every time we went out ...........but they never caught on to do it themselves :(

I take a treat and lead his nose to the bells, then when he rings them, I give him the treat and say "Good bells!"

We tried calling it "Ring it!" but that sounds an awful lot like "Bring it", so we switched to just "Bells". My mom uses "Nose It" but I think that sounds weird :roll: :lol:

Boy, I wish we could leave Daisy free in the kitchen when we're gone -- if we did, every single bottom corner of every cabinet would look like it was gnawed on by a rat! :D I'm sooooooo looking forward to the end of the chewing phase.

Any advice on her grabbing every little item that happens to be on the floor and running away with it to chew on it? (Besides not letting things be on the floor, of course. We have a 6 and 8 year old boy and girl, so it's inevitable that some things will come within Daisy's reach frequently). She grabs anything she can and runs. I'm so scared she will hurt herself on something or choke. She did grab a sharp pencil my daughter dropped the other day and she got the sharp end in her mouth and yelped.

I know if we chase her, she thinks it's a great game. I often pick up a treat and say Daisy come, and if she sees the treat in my hand, she will drop whatever it is and come. THat "drop it" command is not an easy one. And I worry that I'm rewarding her for that bad behavior of "thieving."

I know if we chase her, she thinks it's a great game. I often pick up a treat and say Daisy come, and if she sees the treat in my hand, she will drop whatever it is and come. THat "drop it" command is not an easy one. And I worry that I'm rewarding her for that bad behavior of "thieving."

According to our trainers, this is exactly what you're supposed to do, just make sure you say "Drop it!" when you're showing her the treat, and then say "Good drop it!!" when she does drop it. Then you're rewarding the dropping, not the thieving. :)

Back